Honda Grom banner

Albert Build

21K views 104 replies 17 participants last post by  unknown_overland 
#1 ·
The name Albert comes from the name of the first primate to go to space, though he died from suffocation during the flight.

Anyways, here's my version of Albert:

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Current mods already on the bike include:

• Bazzaz ZFi EFI
  • Sunstar 14t Front Sprocket
  • ASV F3 Shorty Levers
  • MNNTHBX Bar Mount w/ Ram Ball
  • TB Forged Aluminum Shift Lever

Upcoming mods include:

• MNNTHBX MTake
  • Bazzaz Z-AFM
  • Fender Eliminator

We'll see what comes after that. At some point, I'm expecting to replace the exhaust, turn signals, mirrors, and all of that.

See less See more
#2 ·
Great photo to share and good info. Suffocated huh? That's really sad. I wonder if that Monkey Albert understood the benefit to mankind he was?

I have a Yellow Banana like you and a Red Nebula. I keep having this thought one of my riding buddies will go with me and ride the Red one. They are not willing so far.
Spoil sports.

Any idea on top speed with the improvements? I'm at 240lb's and top is 53mph but to be honest I don't know I want this machine going any faster than that.

#3 ·
I haven't seen major improvement on the top speed with the mods currently. From what I've researched, the bigger changes will come with the intake and perhaps an exhaust. Living at altitude, I can definitely see improvements after putting the bazzaz on. Once I get the Z-AFM hooked up, I should be able to do a little deeper investigations and look at some more custom maps for the bike.

#7 ·
I've been really happy with the new shift lever, gets rid of quite a bit of the slop between your foot and the shifter. One thing that was brought up, the stock system reduces the force directly on the shaft, and going with a shift lever right on it you *could* wind up bending that shaft and needing to replace the cover and clutch. I ordered a "Shift Shaft Support Bracket" from Hard Racing to help strengthen it up a bit and take away some of that worry. Once I have the support bracket installed (should be Monday) I'll know a bit more about it.

#8 ·
Some new additions installed in the last couple of days:

• Hard Racing Shift Shaft Support Bracket
  • Yoshimura RS-3 Full System
  • Bazzaz Z-AFM Self Mapper

Along with the new exhaust and the Z-AFM, I also removed the stock O2 sensor and plugged up the hole.

Loving the RS-3, the bike definitely makes some angry noises now.

#9 ·
Bonjour Threar,

with the RS3, you have to remove the stock O2 sensor. which hole is plugged up? the one on RS3?
I guess it's necessary with a filter and mapping. but if one wishes, like me, only the RS3 fuel system, is it necessary?
merci.

#10 ·
I don't believe you *have* to remove the O2 sensor, but I have the Bazzaz Z-FI and Z-AFM to work on remapping the bike so the stock O2 sensor was doing nothing. I have my Z-AFM O2 sensor in the RS3 header pipe.

Without those, you could just run the RS3 and plug the O2 sensor bung on the header pipe (that plug should come with the RS3) and leave the stock O2 sensor as normal. I know these bikes have a tendency to run lean, so just keep an eye on things. I happen to also plan on removing the airbox, so a remap is going to be needed in the long run.

#11 ·
merci Threar pour votre réponse rapide.

effectivement, je souhaite simplement changer le silencieux d'origine par la ligne complète RS3 Yohsimura ( si j'arrive à l'acheter car c'est interdit à la vente en France)
j'ai bien compris que votre modification de capteur O2 est due au fait que vous avez réalisé la modification totale ( filtre+échappement+cartographie)

et vous avez raison, le Monkey est assez "lean"... ici, nous disons " pauvre"... lol

pour preuve, photo contrôle de la bougie après 500 km.

bien amicalement à vous et bonne continuation aux guidons de vos motos.
bruno.

#12 ·
merci Threar pour votre réponse rapide.

effectivement, je souhaite simplement changer le silencieux d'origine par la ligne complète RS3 Yohsimura ( si j'arrive à l'acheter car c'est interdit à la vente en France)
j'ai bien compris que votre modification de capteur O2 est due au fait que vous avez réalisé la modification totale ( filtre+échappement+cartographie)

et vous avez raison, le Monkey est assez "lean"... ici, nous disons " pauvre"... lol

pour preuve, photo contrôle de la bougie après 500 km.

bien amicalement à vous et bonne continuation aux guidons de vos motos.
bruno.
Ah, I think I understand a bit better. For just the silencer (if you can find some way to sneak it into France) you should be able to leave the original O2 sensor in the engine. The new O2 bung for the RS3 is on the new header pipe near the engine (but on the pipe itself).im unsure how much more lean (or poor) the silencer will make the bike, you’ll still have the cat and a bit more back pressure, so you might be ok and the ECU May be able to adjust a bit.

I live at elevation here in Colorado and am used to old carbureted motorcycles, so I get paranoid about air/fuel mixtures.

#14 ·
I just put on on my Grom yesterday. I like it :)
It takes some getting used to as it's farther away from the foot peg and the shifting has a more "notchy" feel. However I don't see how anyone could ever miss a gear because the throw is so short! (lol)

#17 ·
That spinner cover is a pain to get off since it spins while you attempt to take the bolts off. If you have an impact wrench, definitely use that to take it off. Otherwise, using a little bit of impact on your socket can help to knock it loose. Otherwise, everything was pretty easy.

#24 ·
No problem. This was actually from Ebay. One of the sellers out of Thailand sells color matched versions of the racks, so I picked up the yellow one for the bike. I'm actually quite happy how close the color is to the rest of the bike.

#27 ·
sorry,Page not found.
certainly a selection eBay US and eBay France. there is a lot of restriction when we look for addresses.
I found the tool. thank you. on the other hand, the shipping coast is higher than the price of the tool ...lol :crazy:

#34 ·
The MNNTHBX tail tidy kept the license plate way to close to the tire under suspension load; one bad bump and things could go pear shaped. So, decided to try out the Yoshimura Fender Eliminator Kit and see how they compare. Definitely more happy with the Yoshimura.

#39 ·
These 2 licence plates fabrications will not be adapted to French sizes. I'm really afraid of it.:crazy:

with the size of our licences plates, even if the pilot weighed 30 kilos and rigid shock absorbers, the licence plate would touch the tire :cool2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.