Honda Grom banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I never really thought about it much but after watching 685 YouTube videos on the Grom and the MSX (some two and three times) I am starting to dig those waterproof plug and play alarm systems with the remote start for these bikes. Anyone know who makes them?

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just for the "cool" factor. Plus, you never know when I might need to make a James Bond type exit, running to my Grom and throwing on my helmet as I hit the remote start button.

·
Registered
677 Posts
id just think it is another way for your super reliable honda to not start/stop running/leave you stranded. we take remote starts out of cars all the time. they fail, then your $30,000+ car is a paperweight because of your $300 alarm. lol. so im against them completely.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well clearly you have never had to repel from a roof top and start your escape vehicle at the same time. :wink:

You make a great point. The ones I saw on YouTube were completely plug and play, no splicing of wires at all so if it went bad, it would be easy to fix. However, I am a firm believer is a basic hidden kill switch....... for cars. This Grom is so small and light if someone wants it they will just carry it away.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Alarms are #1 as far as battery drain when bikes sit. Big time key off draw. But it will be necessary to take extra precautions with this vehicle because of how easy it is to walk away with. But better answer is small bicycle style GPS hooked up to smart phone app I think. Therefore battery is unharmed.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well fortunately for me I doubt I will rarely, if ever, need to leave it parked unattended. I dont really plan to use it for errands. Just early morning sorties in the canyons by my house, otherwise it will be locked in my garage.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I guess if that's what it's for, then probably not necessary. Although people's garages do get robbed from time to time. My boss had $10,000 in bicycles stolen from his garage, and he has an alarm system! Just saying.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hear ya. Anything is possible but I would hate to try to get past my doberman. He does not like strangers at all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's what I figured I'd do. Leave it covered in my gated drive way and if it rains or if I go away on road trips with the family I'd just ride it up 3 flights of stairs and hope it doesn't drop lol *stuntin'!*

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks like it goes down them well in the french video. I believe I will be buying a new side gate as my wife has already had enough of me bringing motorcycle in the front door, through the house and on to the patio. :saint:

·
Registered
257 Posts
On my bikes (and jeeps) I usually run a kill switch (or two) which is great but this bike is very light so an alarm with GPS could help.

I have had rLink alarms on a few bikes and they work well... https://www.rlink.com/

I paid for the monitoring service and you can setup to get text messages sand emails if your bike is bumped/moved. It alo has GPS tracking it in. Never had a problem with 4 years of use in 3 different bikes.

·
Registered
230 Posts
On my bikes (and jeeps) I usually run a kill switch (or two) which is great but this bike is very light so an alarm with GPS could help.

I have had rLink alarms on a few bikes and they work well... https://www.rlink.com/

I paid for the monitoring service and you can setup to get text messages sand emails if your bike is bumped/moved. It alo has GPS tracking it in. Never had a problem with 4 years of use in 3 different bikes.
An alarm with GPS sounds like a GREAT idea! :) Thanks for that link, Slolane.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Alarms are #1 as far as battery drain when bikes sit. Big time key off draw. But it will be necessary to take extra precautions with this vehicle because of how easy it is to walk away with. But better answer is small bicycle style GPS hooked up to smart phone app I think. Therefore battery is unharmed.
Sounds like a great idea! I only have a garaged car port...so definitely investing in a couple things to make sure she's safe.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have to say, imo, as quick as two guys will be able to pick up and load this bike, you're far better off with a chain than an alarm. No one is going to try to start the thing when they can pick it up. GPS seems like a great way to try to get it back, (and bust the B%stards), as long as you're not real close to Mexico or something.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have to say, imo, as quick as two guys will be able to pick up and load this bike, you're far better off with a chain than an alarm. No one is going to try to start the thing when they can pick it up. GPS seems like a great way to try to get it back, (and bust the B%stards), as long as you're not real close to Mexico or something.
On my ruckus I locked it up with an actual chain lock, I locked the rear tire with the frame. On my old Ninja 250 I used a brake lock.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts