Honda Grom banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Vendor
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Akrapovic Motorcycle Exhausts

are Manufactured from the highest level of materials &

craftsmanship using the latest technology & processes.

There's a reason why Akrapovic is the Brand of Choice

by so many race teams worldwide....including MotoGP.

For more information & bike specific applications, just click below.

>> Akrapovic Racing Slip-ons & Full Systems <<

·
Banned
489 Posts
Just did this Akrapovič setup this week. Bought from HardRacing here on the Forum. I went with the Carbon Fiber/Titanium full system. Order Thursday Afternoon before Labor Day weekend, FedEx delivered Wed. and I was installing it Thursday following. Would've been a few days sooner but was a rural delivery in the styx.

Note:
You might not want to worry about paying for next day/2 Day shipping, you might be waiting. Reason: You should have already ordered a Exhaust Pipe Gasket (#18291-GE2-920) from your local dealer, if not, do it NOW, they're only $7, this doesn't come with one and your screwed if you can't reuse/tear up your old one. It's ONLY a trip to the local dealer and about 2 weeks to get one special order here in Austin. I was careful and got lucky, I could reuse my old one. Better to have a spare in the tool box, than a bike in pieces.

I also replaced a couple of the bolts with Button Head stainless steel ones (M8X1.25 X 50, 60 and 20). One of them was for the Ram Mount Ball (RAM-B-367U) in the Handlebar Clamp as the supplied black oxide one will rust if rain is anywhere within 100 miles, they suck that bad. The new Stainless Steel bolts went in holding the Can to the rail below the seat along with a new Stainless 13mm Nut & Flat Washer on the backside and another one holding the Header just below the rear brake that goes into the welded nut in the frame. The other forward bolt holding the stock muffler does not get reused, I put it back in the frame for now. Should've bout a small SS button head for that too. Stainless hardware was less than $2 total. Stay away from Home Depot/Lowes... that stuff is junk. I also had to pick up a T45 bit at the same time, luckily FastServe had those too and some WD40 so no additional trips.

Tools needed were:
  • 12 & 13 mm Wrenches/Sockets and a short extension
  • Torx T45 socket bit for new clamp bracket from Akrapovič
  • WD40 for cleaning the Titanuum before startup. I wanted to make sure the pipe's patina would be uniform and no dirty spots developed.
  • Torque wrench for the 2 Header Pipe 12mm nuts if you think its important, I just cinched it up tight from feel and will recheck aftter a couple of heat cycles.

The Carbon Fiber form fitted clamp for the Muffler is terrific! No unnecessary stainless clamps/rivets here to snag your clothing. Anybody selling a Carbon Fiber can that doesn't do a matching CF clamp should be ashamed. The instructions supplied with each part from Akrapovič are very detailed with pictures of each step. Difficulty level is a 1 out of 10. I took my time, ran for parts, weighed pieces, pics etc.. and it took less than 2 hours. If you are not concerned with such things 1/2 hour to 45 mins easy.

Haven't rode yet with the Titanium baffle out (stock fender blocks the set screw access a little). But as it sits, the Grom sounds REALLY good. Not too loud, but GOOD. I've outgrown the entire "I have the Loudest bike in the neighborhood, wake up all the babies, make all the dogs bark 'a$$hole' " phase... Except when it comes to my straight-piped weed-burner exhaust on the 8.3L Cummins in the Coach. ;) My Bike is stock, not even a intake mod yet, just with this Header/Muffler and the low end is noticeably improved. Gets up and moves a little quicker. Put 20 miles on it before the rain threatened and made it home as the first drops hit.

I weighed all the parts coming off and then all of the new setup going on and the bike lost 7.69 lbs / 3490 grams with the Akrapovič Carbon Fiber & Titanium full setup. I guess I can consume more Blue Bell now. :)

Reactions: HardRacing

·
Vendor
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Great post and review.

·
Banned
489 Posts
Thank you!

When I took the two boxes out I shook the 2+ foot long header pipe box and had to wonder if the box was empty, it was THAT light! Nothing rattled inside so I said a little prayer and cut the tape... The 12.2 oz header was there.. cool.
:smile:

I should also mention I'm a gadget freak. I could mount a ___cycle (motor/bi/uni), on a wall and it would be appreciated if the right one. I see the work and craftsmanship in things like fittings, welds, effort and shapes of the seats, pedals etc... Good engineering, form, function and proper materials is art, it's sexy. I feel if Jonny Ive designed a Exhaust (other than substituting LiquidMetal in place of Titanium) this could be it. :)

·
Registered
469 Posts
Just to add...you can get the gasket for the exhaust on ebay for about the same price too. If the dealer is on backorder

·
Vendor
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to add...you can get the gasket for the exhaust on ebay for about the same price too. If the dealer is on backorder

And Amazon.............. if you don't like dealing with e-Bay.

·
Banned
489 Posts
My girlfriends sister owns a Honda Powersports dealership in Missouri, I've got a Buddy owns one in Wichita Falls and could've gone either of those routes too, but I never considered something this common would be difficult to get, even if out of stock next or 2 day delivery is common, at least in the auto industry which is where I've spent most of my time. Local people didn't say it would take so long until AFTER I paid. Bad for them, I won't go back there. To think eBay would be better than waiting for a Dealer Order.. well... that's still several days to a week anyway. To be honest, if it was offered by HardRacing (and the price similar) I would've just added it to my order. I'm not faulting them, if anything it's on me or Akrapovic for being shortsighted. It was unanticipated and being unprepared. I hope all companies not just HR would consider this, and have a few on hand to include when necessary. Just a suggestion. Its a way to distinguish oneself from the rest. In the meantime, other Grom folks that see this will know to ask or get one in advance and plan accordingly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts