Honda Grom banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Akrapovic doesn't include a new exhaust gasket, which they should, because gaskets are a consumable and the original can crack or crumble when removing the original silencer. It can also get stuck in the silencer, even though it is meant to stay with the header/cat. They don't mention anything about this in their instructions linked here, and they don't include any pictures that show the gasket in place.

Fortunately, Honda has been using the same gasket (Honda part number 18391-HB7-000) on dozens of models dating back to the 60's or 70's, so finding one cheap and in stock if yours is damaged shouldn't be a problem.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/18391-HB7-000?ref=2795ec2796a688ddab6a3264a7ac31ce28aa41af

Interestingly, Yoshimura's instructions explicitly say to remove the muffler gasket, and that it will not be used with their slip-on.
Definitely the case in my situation. Had me seriously perplexed that the sizing could be so far off. Here is a shot of my stock gasket stuck in the stock exhaust pipe. Found it impossible to retrieve without stripping the gasket to pieces, as it's soft like layered lead. New gasket ordered for ~$9 :icon_thumbright:

IMG-0696.JPG

·
Registered
901 Posts
Makes your engine revs go up and down quicker... :)

·
Registered
881 Posts
Being openly insulted by wibbly is an epic achievement I'm jealous.

Anyway, kitaco cover improvement is an è exquisite lightening... But it's perceptible with progressive bike's upgrades only... Early Throwing tons of stuff on it don't let to experience the differences.. I perfectly remember cover install... Jesus christ I love this bike

·
Registered
171 Posts
The loss of weight is nice, the revs do seem to climb quicker as I pull away from a dead stop. I did it mainly for the oil filter. Makes oil changes super easy.

Unfortunately, there is probably not enough room to run oil cooler lines from the supplied banjo fittings to an external oil cooler.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I really love the look of this exhaust over the Yoshi. I'm just not a fan of the added decibels. I understand that there's going to be an increase in volume with any aftermarket I get, but this one seems to be one of the loudest examples and I actually LIKE my neighbors. Does anyone know if there are any db killers available for this? Or, alternatively, is this exhaust not as loud as others have claimed?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I really love the look of this exhaust over the Yoshi.
The Yoshimura is hideous, ruins the good looks of the Monkey.
is this exhaust not as loud as others have claimed?
I've ridden @bluestreak614's Akrapovic-equipped but otherwise stock 2019 Monkey, it is definitely loud, and the sound is deep, so it carries. You will hear it from indoors, but it won't be completely absurd or obnoxious, just a typical modified single-cylinder. I felt slightly inconsiderate when riding it in a residential area, it sounds like you may be of similar sensibility. I find that opinions on exhausts in forums disproportionately lean toward "louder=better", and many are outright hostile toward the idea that they might consider the effect that their personal decisions have on others.
Does anyone know if there are any db killers available for this?
As far as I know, there is no DB Killer offered for the Akrapovic. Why not just stay stock?

·
Registered
29 Posts
The Yoshimura is hideous, ruins the good looks of the Monkey.

I've ridden @bluestreak614's Akrapovic-equipped but otherwise stock 2019 Monkey, it is definitely loud, and the sound is deep, so it carries. You will hear it from indoors, but it won't be completely absurd or obnoxious, just a typical modified single-cylinder. I felt slightly inconsiderate when riding it in a residential area, it sounds like you may be of similar sensibility. I find that opinions on exhausts in forums disproportionately lean toward "louder=better", and many are outright hostile toward the idea that they might consider the effect that their personal decisions have on others.

As far as I know, there is no DB Killer offered for the Akrapovic. Why not just stay stock?
I do love the stock exhaust, but I'm looking to invest in some mild engine mods and the popular/proven ideas behind getting more power to the engine is intake and exhaust. I doubt I'll go BBK, but I'm of the mindset of doing a whole bunch of research using everyone's experience and then buying once and enjoy, instead of doing the "buy, try, sell/trade" route.

As much as I like the look, the stock sound is more than a little reminiscent of my current lawn mower (which also has a Honda motor). Come to think of it... if the Akra is not as loud as your average lawnmower, that might actually fit the bill. There's some idiot that owns a Hemi Redeye and turns the exhaust sound to "race" at 2 AM - I just want to avoid being THAT @sshole

·
Registered
103 Posts
I do love the stock exhaust, but I'm looking to invest in some mild engine mods and the popular/proven ideas behind getting more power to the engine is intake and exhaust. I doubt I'll go BBK, but I'm of the mindset of doing a whole bunch of research using everyone's experience and then buying once and enjoy, instead of doing the "buy, try, sell/trade" route.
That makes sense, I don't know enough about the real power gains of intake/exhaust/fueling changes for this motor to comment on those.
the stock sound is more than a little reminiscent of my current lawn mower (which also has a Honda motor). Come to think of it... if the Akra is not as loud as your average lawnmower, that might actually fit the bill.
No exhaust modification will remedy the general lawnmower sound, it is still a single cylinder operating at 4-8krpm, but it will be deeper than the mower. Cursory Google search quotes the average lawnmower at ~90dB, Akrapovic lists the Monkey slip-on at [email protected], but the Monkey is normally at 4,000+RPM even at neighborhood speeds, and its tone will be lower, which will carry further travel through windows and walls much more than a lawnmower's higher pitch.
There's some idiot that owns a Hemi Redeye and turns the exhaust sound to "race" at 2 AM - I just want to avoid being THAT @sshole
You will definitely not be as bothersome to your neighbors as that person, so you're probably in the clear. (y)

·
Registered
2020 Honda Monkey and others
527 Posts
If you use the stock header and do the Akrapovic slip on it will be quiet. Catalytic converter will cut the sound down.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The exhaust and header came in and I installed it last night. I re-installed the heatshield this morning because it hit as I went to bed that you need to pull the rubber gromits off of the stock exhaust and then connect them to the mounting points so that the heat shield doesn't rattle. I used some scrap pieces of foam at first, and it worked well, but the original stock ones made the fit much more tidy and snug. You can also use the oem washers from the old exhaust as a spacer between the rear shock and the back of the exhaust. I heard people with aftermarket shocks find that they barely clear, or touch the exhaust. Mine are stock and have no issues touching. I would guess that there's a half to 3/4's of an inch gap between the exhaust and shocks using 2 washers as spacers from the stock can. Also, the oem bolt that attaches the stock heat shield (which uses an allen head wrench to unscrew) doesnt seem to fit into the new attaching point. I had to scrounge around and just so happened to have a nut that fit. Used Loctite quite liberally on it. Other then those 2 things, the install was pretty straight forward. There are a lot of extra nuts left over that were used to mount the old exhaust.

Yes, the exhaust is loud. Without wearing earplugs I would say deafening at WOT. However, while it can be argued that "loud pipes save lives" it certainly gets people's attention. Had a lady in a Kia Soul literally pull out in front of me today and I managed to avoid her. I blipped the throttle a few time and glared at her as I passed as if I was growling at her. She lowered herself and hid behind her steering wheel. Worked for pedestrians that wanted to try their luck entering the roadway, too. With a flick of the wrist, they looked up and saw me coming, and decided against walking in front of me. Mostly, it makes the little Monkey sound like a bigger dirt bike. I had second thoughts about exchanging it for a Yoshi pipe (with a dB killer), but after asking the wife if I sounded obnoxious riding around the block, she said she could "hear me coming" but it was not nearly as loud as that jerk with the Hemi Redeye or even other cars with aftermarket systems on their cars.

Looks are pretty subjective, but I think it dresses up the bike nicely and makes it look like a little scrambler. It's definitely not everyone's cup of tea.

Lastly, I can tell there's a little more power. Not so much down low, but it does pick up towards the mid to top end of the rev range. There were plenty of hills I ascended that would need to shift into 3rd to gain any acceleration and I was able to take them in 4th, so long as travelling near or over 50. Engine only has 125 mi, so I have yet to take it up to her top speed. I'm hoping I can sit at 60 at least (gps) once I get my intake in.

If you're on the fence (and I was), I'd buy it if you 1) dont mind a pipe being fairly loud 2) love the aesthetics 3) dont mind shelling out a little more money - because, let's face it, there are better, less expensive exhausts. If you're looking for a quiet pipe that ups the power and are on a budget (or even just wanting to spend money elsewhere on the bike), I would probably just get the Yoshimura or something similar. I loved the looks, and THEN - quite surprisingly- fell in love with the noise. I do need to get better earplugs, though.

PS - This exhaust is SUPER LIGHT in comparison with the old exhaust, too!

61 - 74 of 74 Posts