Honda Grom banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was originally looking at bronze bushes for my Grom swingarm but saw these Morin Racing swing arms made in Thailand. Are these any good for racing? Is there any benefit to going to aftermarket swing arms (same length) to improve cornering on Groms? I will have aftermarket shock, good tires and weigh 95kg (200lb I think)

Attachments

·
Registered
770 Posts
Stock grom swingarms have a hardish rubber sleeve around the metal cylinder through which the axle passes.

Those in the know such as MNNTHBX have developed bushings as replacements to improve the action of your suspension.

Aftermarket swingarms come with bushings or bearings which accomplish that as well.

Consider a 6cm extended swingarm for racing. The slightly extended swingarm improves stability a touch.

G Craft swingarms are considered top of the line if you are replacing the whole swingarm. They have many options available.

If you stick with your original swingarm, just get MNNTHBX bushing and better chain adjusters.

Just saw a swingarm for sale on the forum:

No experience with Morin swingarms.

Yes, cornering is improved with better suspension action, which a better set of bushings will allow.

Some swingarms have better reputations than others:

·
Registered
770 Posts
After reading through the links above about swingarms cracking, I will stick with my factory swingarm and go for the bronze bush kit.
Stock swingarms crack too! People have only good things to say about G Craft.

If I were doing it all over, I would buy a G Craft from the start 6cm extended.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Forum members Ninelives17 and Hairless have broken at least two stock swingarms, maybe three, if I remember correctly. That’s just from riding, I don’t think they were jumping or stunting.

The stock swingarm uses vulcanized rubber bushings, which really don’t allow the swingarm to move freely.

I owned a Kepspeed. I sent it to Ninelives17 after his first swingarm broke. He broke it too. I think he later bought a G-Craft.

I have a G-Craft swingarm too. It is really nice. Beautiful actually. Nice welds and polished to a mirror finish. You can spec it how you like on Webike. I’m not sure what their lead time is right now, but once it ships from Tokyo, it is here in the eastern U.S. the next day using DHL.

Pard, is giving good advice. If you keep the stock swingarm, then the MNNTHBX bushings and some better chain adjusters would certainly help. I would skip the cheaper aftermarket aluminum swingarms. The ones I’ve seen that broke, didn’t look like the welds had good penetration.

G-Craft, I believe has been in business over 25 years. I trust their welds. What they produce is everything I would expect from the Japanese.

I would need to look back at the photos of my swingarms on my scale to confirm, but the G-Craft is about 5 pounds lighter than the stock swingarm.

About a year ago, I contacted G-Craft about purchasing some extra chain sliders. It took them a week or so to return my email, but someone that spoke English replied. They sold me 3 new chain sliders. Their customer service seemed good to me.

A swingarm with ball bearings, along with something like an Ohlins rear shock and Ohlins fork kit, really transforms the bike. If you really enjoy Groms, I think it is worth the money.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Drinkware Bumper Automotive exhaust

Rectangle Auto part Automotive wheel system Automotive exterior Bumper

Jewellery Font Metal Composite material Asphalt

Musical instrument Musical instrument accessory Bumper Bicycle part Automotive exterior

Tool Bicycle part Automotive exterior Bumper Nickel

Bicycle part Font Gas Metal Auto part

Bumper Automotive exterior Tool Auto part Musical instrument accessory

Gun accessory Air gun Metal Fashion accessory Bumper

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

1 - 5 of 5 Posts