Honda Grom banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running a 125cc grom. I don't plan to big bore at all. So would the oil cooler be worth it? I run the bike hard through some canyons and around town. The rpms I hit are around 7-8rpm at times, and I notice that overtime the engine is losing power. I figure it has to be the oil temp that's causing the loss in power. So is it worth it to buy a oil cooler for the stock motor?

·
Registered
286 Posts
What helps me in the cooling department is my billet finned tappet and cam cover (from The Ruck Shop), Kitaco cover (from Hardracing), Takegawa oil pump (from HardRacing). I think this is sufficient for my Stage 1 or stock motor.

With this setup, I never seen oil temps above 214*F.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
I'm running a 125cc grom. I don't plan to big bore at all. So would the oil cooler be worth it? I run the bike hard through some canyons and around town. The rpms I hit are around 7-8rpm at times, and I notice that overtime the engine is losing power. I figure it has to be the oil temp that's causing the loss in power. So is it worth it to buy a oil cooler for the stock motor?
losing power ? how ? oil ? nah

·
Banned
489 Posts
In San Diego, with ambient temps over 90+ and any stop and go traffic, the Oil Cooler and High Volume Oil Pump would be additional protection. Here in Texas I consider it a requirement.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I think i know what you mean about the losing power thing. sometimes mine struggles to get over 50 when at WOT for 5-10 mins and other times it will get to 65 no problem.

i found that if i eased off a little, it would sit at 60 no problem :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
i have never had any issues with high temps on my stock and on my bbk's without an oil cooler. one of the first things i did was upgrade all the covers to cnc aluminum, which helps dissipate the heat a lot.

i would however recommend the takegawa super oil pump. its only $57, which is a great deal and will def help keep it cooler

·
Registered
469 Posts
I'm going to put the Tak oil pump in mine and report some numbers on the difference in temperatures I get at wot and normal local riding. I'm interested to see the results

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
one of the real benefits of a cooler and the cover is the additional oil capacity. this is never a bad thing. mine with these holds about a half, maybe slightly under, an additional quart. 40-50% increase in capacity even if heat isn't an issue is just plain good for the motor.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
one of the real benefits of a cooler and the cover is the additional oil capacity. this is never a bad thing. mine with these holds about a half, maybe slightly under, an additional quart. 40-50% increase in capacity even if heat isn't an issue is just plain good for the motor.
someone on here just said the cover doesnt hold more oil ?

·
Registered
8,405 Posts
Some people just like to post stuff just to be in the MIX or show that they are smarter than others, to me any info good or bad is info I will store in my brain until I find the truth my self.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Does anyone know what "source" for the cooler lines works better? Is it better to cool the oil off the kitaco cover or from say the cylinder wall of an aftermarket BBK?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts