Honda Grom banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So to reduce my chain from eating up the upper wall channel of my cylinder I decided to buy GF"GromFatherZ" adjustable cam chain tensioner to reduce the chain play at high RPM.

we had the same type of unit built back when I had my 1999 Hayabusa.

If you have a BBK kit engine and ride in the upper RPM range you will notice chain wear marks on the upper channel groove of the cylinder wall, this small filing of metal can do harm to your engine parts if it gets between any moving or rotating metal or bearings.

What a nice piece of metal, this unit replaces the OEM metal tube with spring and you adjust with min slack on the cam chain.
gromfatherz cam chain tensioner Aug 13 2019 copy.jpg

you can see the wear marks from the cam chain tensioner
IMG_5054.JPG

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got mine when they weren't black coated. This part makes taking the cam gear off a cleaner job.
I think the first batch was made out of aluminum which might have been a softer metal or maybe stainless steel. If it was aluminum I think it is a softer metal which might cause quicker wear and fatigue on the unit.

The latest batch is made out of what looks like harden steel/metal which I assume will not fatigue or become brittle from heat and constant taping of the cam chain arm contact to the top post.

Pricey but worth it.

I also bought a set of Yuminashi cam chain adjustment unit to compare both. Yuminashi is a shorter version that uses the stock internal long tube and also the top plastic or delrin cap which has a faster wear and the trick is to replace the top with a harden metal cap.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Installed one of the GF adjustable cam chain unit and WOW, what a difference in Cam chain noise at start up, just a nice whining sound and no chain slapping around and hitting the top of the cylinder wall channel.

I think it is a must for those who have BBK kits.

My setup is the Takegawa 181-4v, with Hd cam chain, Koso cam chain tensioner arm and lower replacement sprocket.

Yes the noise is gone from the chain.

Not sure what the proper adjustment should be but I adjusted the unit so there was about a 1/8 inch depression on the chain near the cam sprocket.

I did make sure to transfer the copper washer from the OEM nut to the GF cam chain unit and torqued down the larger nut, then I adjusted the unit till I had little play on the chain and I locked down the smaller nut.

For those who bought the GF cam tensioner unit chime in and tell me how you adjusted your setup.

Ride safe all

·
Registered
685 Posts
Pretty sure mine is not aluminum. I could tell by the weight. My cam chain tension is set so there is about 3/16" deflection. No idea if that is proper, but it just feels right. I think when you can hear it "whine" or whirring, the tension is too tight. I was playing around with tension until it made the least amount of noise.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Pretty sure mine is not aluminum. I could tell by the weight. My cam chain tension is set so there is about 3/16" deflection. No idea if that is proper, but it just feels right. I think when you can hear it "whine" or whirring, the tension is too tight. I was playing around with tension until it made the least amount of noise.
Did you adjust yours with the engine running or turned off and did you warm up the engine first to get the chain to stretch in normal operating temp?

mine does not whine until I open up the throttle to WOT or 1/2 WOT.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts