Honda Grom banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone! As the tittle says. I have successfully added ABS to my 2018 grom. It was not as hard as people said it was gonna be. I have been studying Honda bikes and wiring schematics for a while now, and came to the conclusion that Honda ABS is an "added" or "stand alone" feature for Honda. What does this mean? It means that the ABS system does not communicate with the existing computer, and is a system on it's on. The grom is a little different though. Because the grom doesn't have a rear sensor, it's wiring is a little more complex since it uses the existing speed sensor in the crank case. For me it was easier to buy the ABS wiring loom and start from there. The computer for the ABS system is built into the ABS pump module and the computer on the bike is the FI computer and that is all it does. I got 75% of my parts from a salvaged grom with about 3000 miles and the parts were from a European grom. The only difference between a European wiring harness and a US harness is the EVAP sensor plug. I took mine off of the old wiring harness and integrated it into the new harness. The job was simple. How much? To get all the parts I needed was about $500. The only thing I still dont have is the new cluster with the ABS light, but it is not needed for the ABS to function. Something I may invest in down the road. The grom does have a frame just for the ABS system, but you dont need it too add the system. The system isnt as invasive as you may think it is. Anyone who is considering adding it, do it! Any parts you need new buy from partzilla.com, they turned out to be the cheapest, and had my parts in 5 days.

-I know some of you bought the grom to have fun on and be a hooligan. This system may not be for you, and that's fine

-Yes it would have been cheaper to have bought en the grom with the ABS, but I got a great deal and I wanted a project

-Trading in was not an option, since I would have lost more money trying to trade it in

-I know some of you may think I dont need no stink-en ABS, I got skills! If you need ABS, you need to practice more! Look..... I get it, I dont rely on the ABS system, its more of a backup or assurance when that idiot pulls out in front of me, and I have no where to swerve. I grew up on a dirt bike, so Ive been riding a while

-My wife rides motorcycles as well. Its piece of mind for me and her when she rides it, knowing she doesn't have the same level of experience as I do

-I also have a 2006 goldwing ABS, and when her and I are on it loaded down, the system has saved our butts a few times

Major Parts you need:
-ABS wiring
-ABS Module/pump
-ABS pipe lines
-ABS brake lines for master cylinder and front caliper
-Right fork for ABS model
-ABS Front brake caliper
-Front ABS sensor
-IMU (inertia measuring unit)
-Front wheel ABS pulsar ring
-ABS front wheel (ABS wheel has 5 brake bolts, non-abs has 4)
-ABS front brake rotor
-Bunch of bolts, clamps, brackets, farkles, etc

-Made my own bracket for the IMU sensor, the non-ABS grom frame doesnt have a spot to mount it

0003BF39-AF68-4B58-956E-FEEDC9419B49_1570496328579.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Nice info. Thanks for posting. Now can you find a way to add it to the rear (with a hooligan kill switch, of course)? :cool2:

ABS and rider skill have nothing to do with each other. ABS stops you shorter than without it (most humans just can't compete with electronics), especially when braking over bumps, pot holes, sand, water, gravel, dirt, and dead animals. /speech

-Studio1930

·
Registered
60 Posts
ABS and rider skill have nothing to do with each other. ABS stops you shorter than without it (most humans just can't compete with electronics), especially when braking over bumps, pot holes, sand, water, gravel, dirt, and dead animals. /speech

-Studio1930
^^ This. Exactly.

Speaking of the ABS models.... Anyone know where you can find upgrades for the brakes? Every place I look (like Hard Racing, etc) all have brake kits for non ABS models.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice info. Thanks for posting. Now can you find a way to add it to the rear (with a hooligan kill switch, of course)? :cool2:

-Studio1930
Adding to the rear shouldn't be too hard. If you wanted just rear ABS, just do the rear instead of the front. You would need to make custom brake pipes, but that should be it. If you want front and rear ABS, you need need to replace your ABS module with one that supports front and rear like a CRF250L module. You would then buy the front ABS wheel for the front and rear, along with sensors. If you use the CRF250L wiring harness, you could remove only the wires you need from the harness an make a stand alone system. The CRF250L harness has a kill switch for rear ABS. I think it's 100% possible, you just got to do it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts