Honda Grom banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Very interesting thread above. Adding marine 2 stroke oil with TC-w3 in a ratio of 1 oz to 5 gal gas (1:600)

Since I was building a BBK on my Grom, I figure I would test it out.

First thing I did was replace the stock piston (pictured) with a DHM 186 cylinder and piston using the stock head.

Started using the oil mix with the new piston, cylinder and old head.

Decided to add a Finbro ported head so took off the old head and was amazed to see how clean it had become.

Note the piston pictured has carbon buildup deposits. The head pictured looked just as black and crusty. That is what the head looked like before I started using the 600:1 oil addition to the fuel.

The photo of the head is how it looks now removed from the engine having been run for 300 miles on the additive. Carbon deposits are gone.

Going to keep running the mix.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
776 Posts
Very interesting. So at the ratio of 1oz/5 gal. ~ 0.2mL/gal, so 6 ish mLs per Grom tank?

Anyone heard of Petron Plus? It's an oil additive that's touted by Brock's, and apparently impregnates the metal.

I'm always hesitant to start pouring shit into my bike...

·
Registered
426 Posts
I exclusively use Echo power equipment around my property. A while back, Echo acquired Shindaiwa (or the company that owns Echo did, whatever). With that acquisition, Echo got Shindaiwa’s Red Armor oil. They claim it does this exact thing in 2-stroke power equipment. It cleans up the carbon deposits making the engine look practically new inside.

I’ve been running the Red Armor oil in my power equipment for a few years now, but I haven’t disassembled any of it to see what it looks like inside.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard of anyone using a little 2-stroke oil in their 4-stroke gas, but it sounds interesting. Can’t remember for sure.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Very interesting. So at the ratio of 1oz/5 gal. ~ 0.2mL/gal, so 6 ish mLs per Grom tank?

Anyone heard of Petron Plus? It's an oil additive that's touted by Brock's, and apparently impregnates the metal.

I'm always hesitant to start pouring shit into my bike...

Petron plus is like sintoflon protector (italian product)... but seems dont use teflon.
I used such products in an old triumph bike to reduce oil consumption... it worked well also to soften gear axle... useful produts on weared engines... but new engines dont need it for real. these treatments has to be redone every oil change because the protection itself degradates.. be careful because WET CLUTch engines need a small portion of standard dose of "protectors"

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The oil is being added to the gasoline. Not to the crankcase oil. Check out the original post and link. The idea is to improve the fuel which has been degraded due to environmental concerns. reduce carbon buildup on the rings and valves, and keep the injectors clean.

Nothing is being added to the engine oil.

·
Registered
776 Posts
The oil is being added to the gasoline. Not to the crankcase oil. Check out the original post and link. The idea is to improve the fuel which has been degraded due to environmental concerns. reduce carbon buildup on the rings and valves, and keep the injectors clean.

Thanks for clarifying, and I understand.

I just mentioned it since there's rarely much discussion on "additives" in general..

Cleaning the piston and valves is very appealing to my BBK that has about 4k now on it. I may do a before and after of the piston and head just to confirm with my own two eyes.

Reactions: Pard

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thanks for clarifying, and I understand.

I just mentioned it since there's rarely much discussion on "additives" in general..

Cleaning the piston and valves is very appealing to my BBK that has about 4k now on it. I may do a before and after of the piston and head just to confirm with my own two eyes.
If you do please post the before and after. I'm very curious as I to would like my pistons and valves to stay carbon free.

·
Registered
868 Posts

indeed i was talking about oil additive

1 - 9 of 9 Posts