Honda Grom banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently installed the gojin led headlight bulb from steady garage. I love the low beam, but as advertised the high beam flickers.

I also reluctantly ordered the tripage ac to dc conversion harness, mainly because its cheap.

Is this basically the only way to do an ac to dc conversion? not exactly thrilled about how it connects to the harness, ideally I would like something completely reversible if i needed to, and not hack into the stock harness.

·
Vendor
4,039 Posts

·
Vendor
4,039 Posts

This video is for the Double Row........ but the wiring is still the same.

·
Registered
938 Posts
ac/dc conversion will allow the power to the headlight to run directly off the battery giving it an solid power supply. The reason the grom runs on ac for the headlight is it is a cheaper method of production. The stator creates ac current not dc. Its cheaper and easier to run the headlight directly off that power source which is why when revved the headlight gets brighter. A less powerful rectifier/regulator are needed then to convert the ac power to dc to charge the battery which we all know the grom does a poor job of.

·
Registered
92 Posts
ac/dc conversion will allow the power to the headlight to run directly off the battery giving it an solid power supply. The reason the grom runs on ac for the headlight is it is a cheaper method of production. The stator creates ac current not dc. Its cheaper and easier to run the headlight directly off that power source which is why when revved the headlight gets brighter. A less powerful rectifier/regulator are needed then to convert the ac power to dc to charge the battery which we all know the grom does a poor job of.
Great explanation. Thank you

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm aware that this is an older thread, but wanted to add some pertinent information.

The High Output Stator Kit offered by Ricky Stator in addition to providing more power, also converts the Grom's system from AC to DC. Pricey, but a nice upgrade - edge if you're running additional electronics, higher wattage lights, etc.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I've had the Tripage kit (with his gold LED bulb) on my Grom for half a year now without issues. Easy and reliable. I also upgraded to a Shorai battery.

I want to add the Ricky stator for running heated gear but reluctant because of price.

·
Registered
153 Posts
how is the ricky stator install? straight forward?
Pretty much. You remove the L side case cover, unbolt the old stator, replace with the new one, toque to spec. Then comes the wiring...

Easy with the fairings removed, probably tedious with them on. The regulator/rectifier bolts where the stocker was, and there's a few wires to connect to the new stator output, as well as some new connections to the battery.

The only bit that was a serious PITA was removing the old bits of gasket due to a Thai assembler tightening the hell out of the bolts.

Oh, and don't worry about trying to fit the new 'plug' flush with the case prior to replacing it on the bike. Get it as best as you can, and then let the torquing of the bolts compress and seat it fully. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm aware that this is an older thread, but wanted to add some pertinent information.

The High Output Stator Kit offered by Ricky Stator in addition to providing more power, also converts the Grom's system from AC to DC. Pricey, but a nice upgrade - edge if you're running additional electronics, higher wattage lights, etc.
Yes at $ 249 it's not a bargain... Ricky Stator - Products

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Steady has the rectifier to run the low and high with no problems

1 - 19 of 19 Posts