Honda Grom banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know how abs works and I'm ridden a motorcycle with ABS. Since I 'm looking for a used bike, however, I mY not be able to find one with this feature.
I was wondering how the brakes are on the Monkey and if anybody thinks ABS is really worth it?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have ABS and would really prefer not to have it. I feel it's just something expensive to go wrong. I've been riding over 40 years and have owned a handful of bikes with ABS. I've never had it come on and just think it's another electronic gadet.......Maybe I'm just old school.............I fell off in my youth a couple of times, decided that it hurt and have tried not to ever since.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a non ABS model, and the brakes are excellent. Front and rear disc, on what is basically a mini bike!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would get a bike without it if given a choice so my Monkey is non ABS. Figure it this way, it can’t hurt to learn how to use motorcycle brakes properly.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have a non-ABS Grom and a friend has a non-ABS Monkey. The brakes on both are plenty strong, but modulation is somewhat poor. The small wheel diameter and contact patch make it easier than most bikes to lock up both wheels. I think the greatest limitation when it comes to stopping distance is the stock tires; The Grom's IRC stock tires are mediocre, and the Monkey's tires are worse than the Grom's. Regardless of whether you go with ABS or non-ABS, if you are sticking to street riding, consider switching to Michelin power pure tires. The Monkey's stock tires were chosen purely for style and are not the best option for pavement.

ABS does objectively improve stopping distance even for highly skilled and professional riders and instructors. Anyone on an ABS bike is at a slightly lower risk of a crash, all other things held equal. The difference is slight, and you have to decide what it's worth to you.

Two limitations on the ABS models if you're into modding:
Changing the gearing can cause an ABS light if you don't correct the speedometer with a speedo healer because of the perceived wheel speed mismatch between the front and rear wheel.
Brake system upgrades are pretty much all for the non-abs models, if you want to change to braided lines or an upgraded caliper, you'd probably prefer the non-abs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts