Honda Grom banner

ABS faults shown after gearing change

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Chillis 
#1 ·
My 2018 ABS Grom with about 225 miles on it started throwing ABS faults on the panel on the first rides I've done after swapping out the final drives spockets and chain. I went to a 14/36 final drive which really rocks for riding around town. Much better pop off the line and accelerating and it'll pull the red line in 4th gear.

I'm wondering if it's possible that the FD change caused the ABS to get wonky? I'm not sure I see how since the Grom is front ABS only. It should only be looking for the front wheel to lock but I wasn't sure if it had some way to compare front tire rotations to expected speed and with the FD change, the speedo is off now.

Any thoughts from the collective wisdom here in Gromland?

#2 ·
I am nearly positive that it compares front to back speeds. Yes, the 14T/36T combo is awesome. I do not know if a speedo healer would help your problem or not, wait for someone with an ABS bike to chime in.

#4 ·
By the way, you can put some better valve springs in it and raise the rev limiter. Should still be able to cruise around 70 at 10k rpm with that gearing. Yes, you can do 10k on the stock springs but you will overshoot it going downhill, and hitting the rev limiter in a corner makes me/the bike uneasy. I set my limiter to 12K for that reason.

#5 ·
OK, I'm new to Grom so how does one reset / raise the rev limiter and at what RPM is it set from the factory? I've only got a few miles on this 2018 new to me bike and I've probably only had it to about 9000 rpm a few times.

#6 ·
I used an ecu flash from CJR to raise mine, the stock valve springs are good to 10,000 rpm. The stock rev limiter is somewhere near 9300 rpm.

#7 ·
I've ordered the H8 DSRD from 12 o'clock labs. I'll post back up here after it's installed to let you guys know if it resolved the ABS faults.

Plenty of tutorials on YouTube making install a breeze.
On a different note - and I hope this doesn't come off condescending - but many of the YouTube videos I've watched on Grom subjects seem to be posted by guys whose education is in question; they REALLY like to hear themselves talk; and, they are often just plain wrong. I've been a motorcycle owner for most of my life and I spend way more time on forums than is healthy for anyone to do. What can I say, I have a lot of time on my hands and I really geek on everything on two wheels. The signal to noise ratio in Gromland is pretty bad.

#8 ·
I've ordered the H8 DSRD from 12 o'clock labs. I'll post back up here after it's installed to let you guys know if it resolved the ABS faults.

On a different note - and I hope this doesn't come off condescending - but many of the YouTube videos I've watched on Grom subjects seem to be posted by guys whose education is in question; they REALLY like to hear themselves talk; and, they are often just plain wrong. I've been a motorcycle owner for most of my life and I spend way more time on forums than is healthy for anyone to do. What can I say, I have a lot of time on my hands and I really geek on everything on two wheels. The signal to noise ratio in Gromland is pretty bad.
Like anything, take what you need and ignore the rest. I skip through most videos that I'm trying to get valuable info from.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.