Honda Grom banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to Cozumel for 3 months of schooling and thought it might be a little cheaper to buy a little scooter while i was there to run around and get groceries. Then I came across this and had to look twice. It costs 28,490 Pesos.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Buy it, abuse it, sell it and come back home. Sounds like a great idea to me.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
looks photo shopped to me.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I wouldn't... Big chance you'll loose lot of money selling it. I even see it here with the Chinitalian Benellis, pretty cheap to buy new but unsellable as a second hand. Or try to find a cheap second hand one, don't abuse it too much and sell it for roughly the same money.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's cool but from the research I have done on the Chinese imitation bikes, they are more work and wrench time than riding. And you'll have little to no value on second hand market. I would say buy a Monkey/Grom/Z125 new or used and that's it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Don't buy it. I had a Chinese clone CT70 and it was nothing but a piece of junk. It was a pearl red 125cc with an automatic clutch. It was very difficult to find neutral and the transmission was very shaky and I felt like the gears were getting caught in between gears etc. The bolts and nuts and fenders, everything on the bike was cheap,cheap,cheap. The local consignment dealer wouldn't even let me put it on his floor to sell for resale. Said he refuses to sell junk to some poor unsuspecting individual. The bike cost about 1/3 the price of a new Honda Monkey maybe even less I cannot remember. I sold it with low miles on it and took a beating. It looked pretty cool though. It's tough to beat brand names on motorcycles. That knock-off stuff is a waste of money. The good thing about them is you can buy a brand new engine for about $250.00 US or less so if it blows you just throw in a new engine and transmission combo.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you go on Facebook, you can see all the Grom Clone/Knockoff groups. There are people with success. There are people that get frustrated and try to sell and recoup their money only to find out the resale is super low.

These clones usually use a pitbike engine based on the CRF50 design. They use a carburetor instead of fuel injection.

I've owned an Icebear Fuerza (Chinese Grom Clone/Knockoff). I did not have any issues with mine. I sold it. There are parts from a Grom that do not swap over. The biggest one is the exhaust. Because the pitbike engines are based on the crf50 engine, the exhaust port is at an angle and you have to use a Honda Dax exhaust. Another thing was that shops here in the US would not work on it. They all pretty much said it was too much of a liability for them. So you need to be prepared to work on it yourself. When I got the bike, I did go through and make sure all bolts and such were tightened down properly. I also replaced any bolts (except for the small fairing screws/bolts) with class 10.9 and class 12.9 bolts.

I sold it because I never rode as much as I thought I did and in the area I was in, I didn't have many things close by. Now that I've moved, I actually bought a Grom this time round. I will say this. The Grom is heaftier. The metals seems to be thicker. The quality of the plastics and such are definitely better. Now the price is significantly higher... but it's just overall a much better quality bike.

You'll get the Grom Clone/Knockoff guys saying things like well you can swap a zs190/daytona 190 into the Grom Clone and it's plug and play for a $680 engine. This gets you a 190cc 2v engine. Yes that is true... but you could also get the DHM Motoring 186cc kit.

Just food for thought.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its not like I would be buying it to keep it forever. It would have been something to buy and ride for 90 days then .. well what ever. But plans have changed and I am now going to Roatan on the 9th of Oct. May just rent a scooter while there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wtf you doing in Roatan. Why don't you buy somebody's used scooter or bike while you're there. But something name brand so when you sell it you can get your money back.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Its not like I would be buying it to keep it forever. It would have been something to buy and ride for 90 days then .. well what ever. But plans have changed and I am now going to Roatan on the 9th of Oct. May just rent a scooter while there.
How far do you have to ride? Could you get away with say an e-bike? Not sure if you register them or anything, but if you get an e-bicycle, could be no registration, no license needed, and you can bring it back to the US.

All depends on how far and how fast you need to be able to go.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wtf you doing in Roatan. Why don't you buy somebody's used scooter or bike while you're there. But something name brand so when you sell it you can get your money back.
Going to diving school so i can be an instructor. I will just have to see about it all when I get there.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How far do you have to ride? Could you get away with say an e-bike? Not sure if you register them or anything, but if you get an e-bicycle, could be no registration, no license needed, and you can bring it back to the US.

All depends on how far and how fast you need to be able to go.
I would be mostly for after school, running around the island and going to see the sights on my days off. The reason for not getting an ebike is that if I have my gear with me it would a lot easier to carry 50 lbs of gear on a scooter or motorcycle instead of a bike. unless I get an ebike with a banana seat, LOL

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would be mostly for after school, running around the island and going to see the sights on my days off. The reason for not getting an ebike is that if I have my gear with me it would a lot easier to carry 50 lbs of gear on a scooter or motorcycle instead of a bike. unless I get an ebike with a banana seat, LOL
Ah. Gotcha. I mean in that case, I'd say go for it. I've owned a Grom Clone (Icebear Fuerza) and it never gave me any issues. It was my first carbed bike so I got to learn how to tune a carb, but overall wasn't terrible. The plastics were not as good as my Grom but not terrible. And if you're just getting rid of it when you leave... may as well.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ah. Gotcha. I mean in that case, I'd say go for it. I've owned a Grom Clone (Icebear Fuerza) and it never gave me any issues. It was my first carbed bike so I got to learn how to tune a carb, but overall wasn't terrible. The plastics were not as good as my Grom but not terrible. And if you're just getting rid of it when you leave... may as well.
Yeah. Maybe even a scooter would be fun. I will have to get there and see what the schedule is going to be like. There are some nice twisty roads on the island and the speed limit is pretty low so .....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts