Honda Grom banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a helmet with good air flow. Living in Mississippi in gets freaking hot and I would like a full face helmet that has some decent venting. Any suggestions? I have a Fly 9mm shorty style helmet on the way but I would like a new full face.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
I gave up on that. Now, after 35 years on street bikes, I wear a full face helmet with sun glasses and just lift the face shield up about an inch or so. Seems to work well for me at lower speeds. Once I pick up speed and the wind pressure closes the faceshield there is usually enough wind to keep me cool. And I am ALWAYS hot.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Art I think I am going to pick up that Fly Trekker in gloss black to match my Grom. If you are going to be buying a new helmet anyway you might take a look at it. I wont know for sure until I actually try one on, some helmets hurt my noggin.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was looking at it online. I need to find a shop near me that actually carries it so I can try it on. I have a big head and I hate having to return crap online. Let me know how you like it when you get it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Art I think I am going to pick up that Fly Trekker in gloss black to match my Grom. If you are going to be buying a new helmet anyway you might take a look at it. I wont know for sure until I actually try one on, some helmets hurt my noggin.
I have a Fly Trekker... it's venting seems pretty good so far. The helmet is in the budget end of things but looks sick. The shield only has 2 positions but I have gotten used to it, just different than the Arai's and Shoei's I have been wearing for the past decade. It vents well but fogs a tad in the cool weather. The fit is somewhat semi-oval, but leans a little toward round (if your familiar with the Arai helmet fitting).

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Its funny you mention Arai and Shoei. Arai fit me great, Shoeis press on my forehead. I am going to get to the dealer and try on the Fly. Thanks.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yeh, some Arai's and Shoei's fit me, some not at all. Best bet is to try em on. I like Motorcycle Superstore and Revzilla, their returns are fast and easy if a size doesn't fit. On some things I just buy 2 sizes and then return the ones that doesn't fit, quick and easy.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
The brick and mortar portion of MotoHelmets.com is very close to me and they are super cool in there. Huge selection and they have the same internet pricing.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeh, some Arai's and Shoei's fit me, some not at all. Best bet is to try em on. I like Motorcycle Superstore and Revzilla, their returns are fast and easy if a size doesn't fit. On some things I just buy 2 sizes and then return the ones that doesn't fit, quick and easy.

thanks for the info. I'll have to look into motorcycle superstore. I bought from competition accessories and one time they gave me a hassle when I tried to return a helmet. I've never tried on an arai or a shoei. I've been wearing an HJC rph-10 and an rps so I'll have to go try some on.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Nice...but I'm bias because I have an Icon helmet myself. I personally don't like to buy online because every helmet fits differently to me. Even within the same brand...good luck w your search. I do the same thing in the summertime, open up my face shield when I am at a stop. Although I have a 1/4 helmet now, but haven't taken it out for a ride yet...and hopefully it'll still be nice out for me to try it our on the Grom.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll definitely need to try one on before I purchase it. Even though revzilla says they don't charge for exchanges it's such a hassle.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm tempted to buy this Icon Airframe Carbon off of craigslist for $200 (retails for $500) but I'm only going to be using it for the Grom. From the videos I've watched the Grom has more of a touring style riding and helmet position/angle than a super sport bike. Those Icon and Shoei helmets are designed for the best airflow at an agressive helmet angle. Anyone have advice on this subject? Is there that much of a difference really? It was just 108 degrees last week here so this is kind of a big deal to me.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Have you looked at the AGV AX-8 Dual sport? Easily the lightest offroad/dual sport helmet I've ever found. ventilation and peripheral visor are excellent as well. For reference I worked at cycle gear for 9 years and own 15+ helmets

·
Registered
256 Posts
i just bought a bell helmet and love it. ive had them all heres how i rate them
1 arai
2 shoei
3 agv
4 bell
5 hjc
6 icon
7 the rest are bs

1 - 18 of 18 Posts