Honda Grom banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda Monkey and others
527 Posts
Ordered the Mnnthbx DNA stage 3 intake and Akrapovic full exhaust. I think I'm going to hold off on the high comp piston for now, since it seems that I may need an oil cooler and possibly a catch can for it. I'm going to wait for the first oil change and then get a cam. I'm on the fence about whether to get the TB or go Yoshimura ST-1M. Leaning towards the TB as I can just reflash the ECU at CJR.

I'm going to also get the OPMID multi display and Kitaco clutch cover in a few weeks.

If I can find a shop that's comfortable with working on my Monkey, I think I'll do the Takegawa 5 speed (maybe put in the slipper clutch, just to be different). Then I'm done... at least, until the BBK beckons me.

Does anyone know where I can order the Euro tail light and turn signals from? And will I need a special relay or other parts to install it? The usual places seem to be out of stock.
Where are you located?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think it's one of the charms of owning a "thumper" single. I might have picked up an SR400 if one was available near me, but when I saw the Monkey (and then sat on her) it was love at first... sit?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Looks like Mnnthbx is out of the DNS Stage 3 intake. Kevin (from Mnnthbx) said he's waiting for them in back order and should be able to get it out to me sometime next week. One friend of mine noted that he saw a strange resemblance to breasts when I showed him pictures of it on the site. While I do acknowledge his strange obsession with mammalia, I think he does, after looking at some angled shots of it, have a point. Curiosity has gotten the best of me, however, and I'll wait until I its installed to have a final hands on review on what looks like more than ample dual filters (now he's got me thinking lude thoughts -_-).

Revzilla said my Akrapovic full exhaust comes in tomorrow. I'm going to wait until I can install both filter and intake to get a flashed ECU.

I'm also going to hold off on the cam until after the engine is completely broken in. I've only got a little over 100 miles on the odo, and dont want to put too much stress on the little motor until after the first oil change.

Also - there was a youtuber that mentioned he had an issue and ended up replacing his piston and valves because his engine was really running rough, but after doing so broke his cam tensioner. He said it was a plastic part that "is a known component to fail" in Groms and Monkeys because it's "made of plastic". This is the first I've heard of it, or anyone having issues with it. I have a feeling that in replacing the piston and valves there might have been an adjustment he made - or didnt make- that inadvertently caused the failure, but I was wondering if it's something that 1) should be a worry when I'm changing the cam out 2) can the part be replaced something stronger?

Once again - thanks for all the input!

·
Registered
29 Posts
New exhaust:

New rear spools:

New shifter and link support:

The shifter and link support are AMAZING and worth every penny. Makes shifting more "tight" - almost like shifting on a bigger bike. I rode my 900 afterwards and it didn't feel as crisp (and that bike get kudos for shifting from a lot of reviewers).

The intake should be coming next week (hopefully) so I'll put up more pics when it's installed.

I'm really debating what I should do afterwards. The 143 BBK is really enticing, since it's a pretty light mod (and relatively inexpensive), but the 5 speed would be really nice, too. I think what I'm going to NEED to invest in is new tires. The stock ones are "okay" but are really horrible at stopping distances. I think I want to go Shinko, just to be different, but everyone swears by the Power Pures. I'm not planning on actually dual sporting this bike, but it would be nice if there was a tire that can handle some light off road (and I mean just grass/dirt/gravel trails, nothing gnarly). Any suggestions?

Going to likely order the new clutch cover and cam towards the end of the month. I'll probably send off for the reflashed ECU as well. I'll update when the installs are complete

Thanks again for all the suggestion guys!

·
Registered
2020 Honda Monkey and others
527 Posts
If you plan on going big bore, skip the flashed ECU's and get the ARacer with wideband to have a setup that actually works with whatever setup you throw at it.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts