Honda Grom banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I ordered some parts as I waited for delivery. Only thing I've installed were the YSS shocks. Decided against installing the Takegawa exhaust and will most-likely sell it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I ordered some parts as I waited for delivery. Only thing I've installed were the YSS shocks. Decided against installing the Takegawa exhaust and will most-likely sell it.
What was it about the Take exhaust that made you decide not to install it?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,262 Posts
I still don't believe that video.

Mine with the mods putting out real power with corrected/gps tested top speeds in the low 70's mph and this bike with virtually no mods and an ecu flash is hitting almost 80 mph, calling BS.

Used to have a Yamaha Smax 155 which was water cooled and rated at 15 hp crank, full aero bodywork and it would top out in the low 70's actual speed. Speedo said high 70's though.
I don't have a monkey, but my grom would bounce off the limiter at 76mph with those mods while tucked, on level ground. I'm 6'1 175lbs without gear. Cameron is WAY smaller/lighter than me, and the Monkey has slightly different gearing. I'm not saying you could go 78 with those mods, but I bet that he did.

·
Registered
219 Posts
With all this talk of top speeds how are you all coming up with this? Are you running a Speedo Healer to correct/accurize your speedo or just using a GPS?

Curious minds want to know...

My experience with hot rod Groms, etc. is limited but I did have two pass me like I was parked on I-71 in Louisville as I headed for KY 841 and the East End Bridge. I was running about 55 and they had to be running around eighty.

I was impressed...

·
Registered
2020 Honda Monkey and others
527 Posts
With all this talk of top speeds how are you all coming up with this? Are you running a Speedo Healer to correct/accurize your speedo or just using a GPS?

I am. Many runs to get it dialed in.

So many run the 14t sprocket and their speedos read over the moon high and inaccurate info is posted.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Maybe if bombing down the side of a mountain with a tail wind. There is no way you are getting 70+mph on a stock Monkey.
Mine isn't stock. Far from it.

The claims of the CJR Racing video of an ecu flash on a stock head doing 78 mph is BS.

My 181 with all of the stuff on it only gets me to low 70's. Redline at 9,500 rpm is 82/3 mph down a hill. Did it a few days ago and it was my first time hitting rev limiter.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I hit 74mph (GPS) on my grom, still not at redline. Stock 15/34 Gearing.

Aracer, DHM high comp, valvetrain to support 12k redline, CJR V2 cam, koso filter, hose, dhm adapter on a 28mm TB, hindle high mount, lightened flywheel. Stock valve head is ported, but its my first attempt and done with a dremel. I'm 220 in gear and 6'3". I think it could be done. Maybe he did some kenny mods and cranked the timing up and has 50psi in the tires.

·
Registered
66 Posts

The claims of the CJR Racing video of an ecu flash on a stock head doing 78 mph is bullshit.

My 181 with all of the stuff on it only gets me to low 70's. Redline at 9,500 rpm is 82/3 mph down a hill. Did it a few days ago and it was my first time hitting rev limiter.
Got it. I thought you said your Monkey was stock. My misunderstanding.

Man, I can't imagine doing 80 on this little thing....that is crazy!

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,262 Posts

My experience with hot rod Groms, etc. is limited but I did have two pass me like I was parked on I-71 in Louisville as I headed for KY 841 and the East End Bridge. I was running about 55 and they had to be running around eighty.

I was impressed...
I am also using a speedo healer. I still use my GPS to verify speed runs.
Screenshot_2020-09-28-19-03-33.png

·
Registered
527 Posts
Got it. I thought you said your Monkey was stock. My misunderstanding.

Man, I can't imagine doing 80 on this little thing....that is crazy!
With the suspension done, balanced tires, it is surprisingly stable.

I'm in the process of building a 25hp+ ported Takegawa 4 valve plus 5 speed. Then it will really scream.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,262 Posts

The claims of the CJR Racing video of an ecu flash on a stock head doing 78 mph is BS.

You said it only gets you to low 70's, then say you hit 82/83. Nobody claimed he was cruising straight up on level ground. I'm sure he was tucked in tight, probably on a downhill slope. Still to hit a maximum speed of 78 is impressive, and you should not insult CJR @jonesn by implying he is falsifying his videos. Especially if you don't have any proof. Do you mind sharing your height and weight?

·
Registered
527 Posts
You said it only gets you to low 70's, then say you hit 82/83. Nobody claimed he was cruising straight up on level ground. I'm sure he was tucked in tight, probably on a downhill slope. Still to hit a maximum speed of 78 is impressive, and you should not insult CJR @jonesn by implying he is falsifying his videos. Especially if you don't have any proof. Do you mind sharing your height and weight?
Level ground with no wind is low 70's.

My bike stock would do high 70's down the nearby mountain. That isn't a top speed, IMO.

Edit: nor is riding with a 30 mph tailwind.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,262 Posts
Level ground with no wind is low 70's.

My bike stock would do high 70's down the nearby mountain. That isn't a top speed, IMO.
I would love to ride down the mountain with you, lol. I'm about 4 hrs away from anything that even favors a mountain. My 83mph was down a hill, not a steep hill though. One day I am going to find a steep hill and shoot for 88mph, then go back in time and warn myself to slow down before I get a ticket. Do I need a Delorian to do that? Lol

Reactions: Chillis

·
Registered
444 Posts
I would love to ride down the mountain with you, lol. I'm about 4 hrs away from anything that even favors a mountain. My 83mph was down a hill, not a steep hill though. One day I am going to find a steep hill and shoot for 88mph, then go back in time and warn myself to slow down before I get a ticket. Do I need a Delorian to do that? Lol
DeLorean? No. Flux Capacitor, Yes.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts