Honda Grom banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 Grom with ~2,000 miles and full Akrapovic exhaust.

If you were going to spend $999 on mods, what would you do?

Ohlins coilover with remote reservoir will be purchased and that's excluded from the budget.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
MNNTHBX swing arm bushing kit. Ohlins front fork kit. DHmotoring stage 3 kit with high compression piston, ECU reflash & cam. Intake if you don’t already have one.

·
Registered
135 Posts
MNNTHBX swing arm bushing kit. Ohlins front fork kit. DHmotoring stage 3 kit with high compression piston, ECU reflash & cam. Intake if you don’t already have one.
This sounds like a great plan to me, maybe try to swing the kitaco clutch cover too!

·
Vendor
1,824 Posts
Not counting the great exhaust and shock, your budget is honestly more than you need. You didn't state your goals, but my go-to for the best all arounder would be Mtake, cam, tuner, swingarm bushings, then you've got a great running, stone reliable bike, with plenty of cash left over for controls, tires, or whatever your focus is.... Enjoy the bike and the process.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Not counting the great exhaust and shock, your budget is honestly more than you need. You didn't state your goals, but my go-to for the best all arounder would be Mtake, cam, tuner, swingarm bushings, then you've got a great running, stone reliable bike, with plenty of cash left over for controls, tires, or whatever your focus is.... Enjoy the bike and the process.
will the mtake intake fit under the stock fairings?

i ride the grom to the office (2 miles r/t) a couple days a week and an occasional fun ride. so, it's basically going to be used to toy around town, no track time.

i appreciate the input!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Different sprockets. I ran 13t-37( need new chain)And it’s night and day. It gives you the confidence to go around cars. And the acceleration at stops at red lights. I ride my grom Exactly like you do. To and from work. And the weekends for fun... trying to learn to wheelie as well..... I top out at 55mph. But I’m 220 lbs . I have the speedometer corrected as well..
Ecu flash. Dinger built. And his mid length intake.
Chain and sprocket is 30-40 bucks. dose not break the bank and easy to switch back to stock..

·
Vendor
1,824 Posts
will the mtake intake fit under the stock fairings?

i ride the grom to the office (2 miles r/t) a couple days a week and an occasional fun ride. so, it's basically going to be used to toy around town, no track time.

i appreciate the input!
Yes our intake is designed to work cleanly inside stock shrouds and bodywork.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Tires. Get rid of the stock and put on some sticky rubber.

Front fork Ohlins cartridges

Magura Hc1 12mm front brake master

Sintered brake pads for the front, rear are O.K. stock.

Aracer mini 5 ecu with AF1 wideband

Kitaco clutch cover and oil filter kit.

Antigravity lithium battery.

That is in order of priority. I would spend in that order until the funds are gone.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Basically, what Pard said -

Tires - I'm on Heidenau K58 mod (all season) 120f 140r tires, and if you don't want Summer tires, these are great
Basic sprocket set (14t, 16t, 35t, 36t, 37t) - upgrade to a 428 chain + sprockets if you want
Front Forks - look at RacingBros F/R kits before you go Ohlins
MNNTHBX bronze swingarm bushings
Kitaco clutch cover

After this, you'll be draining your funds quickly:

Takegawa 5th gear
Adjustable controls (ASV levers, etc.)
Lower handlebar (Endurance, Takegawa, or ProTaper)
Exhaust - little gain but weight savings is the bigger benefit

And then we get into things requiring tuning:

TB Cam
aRacer or PV3 kit w/ wideband
Kitaco 3-row oil cooler

Unless you're dead-set on staying 125 cc (like I was, at first), just save up for a 181 NEO kit at this point. I ran a 125 cc 12.2:1 compression tune w/ TB cam for a while. It felt great and sounded great and revved very smooth... but the low- and mid-range torque just wasn't there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i should have noted that i get koso parts at dealer cost. Not sure if the koso big bore kit and 4 valve head is overkill or not.

·
Registered
200 Posts
It's not overkill if it's what you want to do... but I will say that with 12 inch wheels, the NEO181 kit is all I will ever require.

·
Registered
819 Posts
you budget lasts for fork kit with professional install (must), an autotuner and a cheap direct intake (such a good quality cotton cone filter upon a diy connection hose to throttle body)
at that point if there's enough money for clutch cover you will get max stock performace and you can also deliberately spend remaining money on other engine's critical components
4v head will blow your actual engine

·
Vendor
1,824 Posts
you budget lasts for fork kit with professional install (must), an autotuner and a cheap direct intake (such a good quality cotton cone filter upon a diy connection hose to throttle body)
at that point if there's enough money for clutch cover you will get max stock performace and you can also deliberately spend remaining money on other engine's critical components
4v head will blow your actual engine
No need to spend a dime for "professional install" on a fork kit. It's easy stuff. I'd also use a proven intake that has been tested and tuned for optimal performance, as length is critical to power delivery. We don't recommend a 4 valve as a starting point, including the OP's question. That said, they won't "blow your actual engine". That's misinformation. Bad tunes blow engines.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Misinformation.... As all the stock rods we saw blowing in the past 5 years
he has a 1000 papyrus budget so no money left for a decent rod

P. S. I have zero economic interest in commenting such posts

·
Vendor
1,824 Posts
Misinformation.... As all the stock rods we saw blowing in the past 5 years
he has a 1000 papyrus budget so no money left for a decent rod

P. S. I have zero economic interest in commenting such posts
Misinformation? How so? I post based on decades of experience, not internet opinion. Likewise, I have no economic interest, only sharing real information that may help others.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I had just repeated what you say

btw IMHO putting a 4v head over a stock engine is pointless like putting the cart before the horses
and out of budget issue anyway

1 - 18 of 18 Posts