Honda Grom banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Something to consider...

The Honda CB-100 street bikes of the early '70's would run nearly 70 MPH with their 11 horsepower, five speed carbureted OHC motors singing at 10,000+ RPM. Forty plus years later we have a four speed 125cc F. I. motor that'll run pretty much the same speeds. So much for huge improvements in performance due to advancements in technology...

It's gotta make us wonder if we're going in the right direction.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Something to consider...

The Honda CB-100 street bikes of the early '70's would run nearly 70 MPH with their 11 horsepower, five speed carbureted OHC motors singing at 10,000+ RPM. Forty plus years later we have a four speed 125cc F. I. motor that'll run pretty much the same speeds. So much for huge improvements in performance due to advancements in technology...

It's gotta make us wonder if we're going in the right direction.
Good point.

·
Registered
136 Posts
85-90 MPG, if I remember right. It was pretty frugal even spinning at those speeds. They had smallbore road race classes in those days and these little bikes would actually finish races where their two-stroke brethren would be seizing.

Another cog in the Grom's gearbox would help but there's not much room inside for it.

I want to add that these bikes were also horribly under-braked for the speed they were capable of. It would still be interesting to see what sort of bike could be built using this motor and modern suspension and brakes and more current styling. The motors were definitely capable performers.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Got 57 early my first night and on the interstate tucked behind an suv 63. I am 5'8" 220lbs.

Sent from my SGS3 using HondaGrom.net mobile app.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts