Honda Grom banner

71 mph Box stock... WHAT!?!

8K views 42 replies 24 participants last post by  benczik 
#1 ·
With about 34 miles on mine I took the plunge and decided to jump on the highway. I figured I wouldn't know if it could hold its own on the big boy road unless I just did it.... It would hold 60 sitting upright, but it really surprised me when it hit 71 mph "indicated" in a full tuck! Anyone else seen those numbers?

it was pretty cool passing cars on I-75 in Dallas on the GROM! :hondalogo:

#13 ·
I don't have a GoPro, but am working on that. ;) I don't know the wind conditions but was seemingly level ground when I hit the 71 mark. I hit 70 several times today with no draft, but I had to pretty much plant my chin on the triple tree nut.

This bike is a blast! Can't wait to get a group of these together soon.

#18 ·
Sounds like overall good stock speeds to me with normal size people riding them... I just figured some of the better speeds would come from smaller/lighter drivers but I guess it's fine speed wise...

#20 ·
Mortal, we are almost exactly the same size and I usually ride the same rode daily. I am finding that the wind is my limiting factor. If I am headed east on said road sometimes I cannot break 51 MPH. But I can immediately turn around and hit 59 MPH. And I have hit 65 MPH in a full tuck drafting another car. It gets up to 50 relatively quickly and the acceleration slows from there.

#21 ·
Mortal... Not to long, it climbs pretty steady. If someone in DFW will let me borrow their GoPro, I would love to get it on film.

Are you sitting straight up or tucked? I am pretty much laying my chest on the seat/tank and my head is just behind the speedo. I even pull my left hand in to reduce drag. If I sit up 60 is about all it can do on flat ground... the wind resistance just kills if with these small displacement engines.

#24 ·
On the MSX, it redlined at an indicated 126kph/78mph with a very slight downhill roll. Fully tucked of course, but i'm not exactly small either. lol!

Also, don't forget that the motors are new... as they wear in, they will gain power... i know that the MSX is noticeably faster now that it has almost 1000 miles on it...

#25 ·
I have made it to 60 tucked in on a back road. Although, I can only tuck so much at 260 and 6 feet. I can do 55 most times, but an uphill will kill that.

I wouldn't even give 75 a shot... I have to go up to the northeast side of Richardson and it's killing me that I can't take the bike on the highway. I need to order up that 150 kit so I can shoot anywhere in DFW without having to take back roads. It would take me all morning to make it to my customer tomorrow if I took Division to belt line, Belt Line to Collins, north on Collins to whatever freaking road i have to take next to get there. That's about a million stop lights.

#32 ·
So has anyone actually checked their speed via GPS or a radar gun? Every Honda I've ever owned was about five MPH optimistic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.