Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys so I'm 19 and started falling in love with bikes when I was probably 10 and the closer I get to getting one the harder it is to think about anything else. I ride a 50cc chinese scooter at the moment and theres nothing I love more than leaning off the thing around corners with the throttle wide open. I have a deposit on a grom ofcourse and am super excited to get it and learn all I can about riding on it, and I know sometimes a little bike can just be more fun than a full sized bike but I feel that I will just want so much more bike shortly after getting the grom. I'm thinking that I will be buying a used cbr, gsxr, zx6r, or r6 sometime between December and February. What do you guys think about jumping from a 125 to a 600 as long as I know my limits and ride within them?

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
My neighbor just bought a used GSXR600 for his first bike. He has put 100 miles on it and crashed twice. "Laid it down because my glove got caught on the throttle and I gave it too much power."

Whatever dude. I have 100,000+ miles on bikes + tons of hours in the dirt, never heard of anyone's glove getting caught on the throttle, once let alone twice.

I think if you get the Grom and put some miles on it then you will be fine moving up to a bigger bike.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
My neighbor just bought a used GSXR600 for his first bike. He has put 100 miles on it and crashed twice. "Laid it down because my glove got caught on the throttle and I gave it too much power."

Whatever dude. I have 100,000+ miles on bikes + tons of hours in the dirt, never heard of anyone's glove getting caught on the throttle, once let alone twice.

I think if you get the Grom and put some miles on it then you will be fine moving up to a bigger bike.
Hmmm I may have to use that excuse if I ever drop my bike

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Hmmm I may have to use that excuse if I ever drop my bike
I know you are kidding but just in case, don't. It sounded really really lame but he seems like a nice kid so I just went with it. It was probably a good thing he has already dropped it twice as I have noticed he rides very carefully and cautiously through the neighborhood. Hopefully he will not have any more problems.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just DON'T get something too nice and wear ALL your gear. You're gonna crash it because you are 19 and that's what motorcyclists do when they are 19 (read the stats). Please just don't die.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I know you are kidding but just in case, don't. It sounded really really lame but he seems like a nice kid so I just went with it. It was probably a good thing he has already dropped it twice as I have noticed he rides very carefully and cautiously through the neighborhood. Hopefully he will not have any more problems.
Yes I am kidding. The only time I ever dropped my bike "knock on wood" I was riding my old R6 around fedex field and hit some gravel and dropped it and slid into the curb. That sucked.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Crashing sucks. I used to think it was the worst part of motorcycling. I was wrong. The worst part of motorcycling is when your friends die in accidents.:sad:

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Crashing sucks. I used to think it was the worst part of motorcycling. I was wrong. The worst part of motorcycling is when your friends die in accidents.:sad:
Most definitely. Haven't personally known anyone to die but have a good friend lose a leg at the hip from an accident.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Don't get a 6hunned as a first bike. or hope that you have GREAT self control. in reality you're going to go wild and out on it... I understand tis fast. do so on straights with no fellow riders or cagers around. don;t go buck wild on the curves til ya actually learn the machine, hone your skills and wise up.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I got a 2005 r6 as my first bike, it rode really nice. Is would suggest an 03 r6 or a 06 cbr. I would stay away from suzuki and kawasaki unless you are getting their super power bikes.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Starting on a 125cc and moving up towards a 600cc bike seems like a great idea. You'll know after putting some mileage if you'll be ready for the move upwards in dec/feb. The only really hard thing about bigger cc bikes is adjusting on the freeway and learning how to lean with all the wind coming at ya. Especially for someone as small/light as me, I often felt like I was going to fly off my bike because I was so light. I'm glad I rode awhile longer before getting onto a 500cc, eventually with enough riding experience you can pretty much be comfy riding any bike out there.

·
Registered
942 Posts
How many years you have on the moped? Its good to take a class or 3. Helps with discounts on insurance. Build up credit, take out a personal loan, an pay for the bike with that. So u don't need full coverage. Cause that's gonna be the main reason ur not on 2 wheels. That's what I did, cause I priced out full coverage when I was 18, an I couldn't believe it. For a year was more than what the brand new bike costed. Like I could of rode uninsuredr a year, an get a brand new bike with the money I would of had to spend on insurance. U could even try put liability on ur moped, jus to get ur riding carreer started on paper. Cause that will ultimatly determine what ur premium will be.

·
Registered
942 Posts
An just fyi, me and about half a dozen of my frens all started on a 1000cc. We all came out fine. We all had mopeds, xr/crf50s, an some experience on big dirtbikes (125-250). Jus know you limits, don't show off or try to impress anyone. And you'll be fine. Follow a more experience rider an you'll do even better. Keep in mind you don't have a steel cage protecting you. An that you like your skin/limbs where they are.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I agree with taking a class, I'm glad everyday I avoid a tragedy that I took a MSF course. Also keep in mind area, some state/countries are more moto friendly. And some states (CA) are just stupid about sharing the road.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You say: “atthe moment and theres nothing I love more than leaning off the thing aroundcorners with the throttle wide open.” And“Whatdo you guys think about jumping from a 125 to a 600 as long as I know my limitsand ride within them?” Thisleads me to think you may or may not know your limits, but, like most of uswhen we were young, will not pay attention to limits when it comes to thingswith motors. I would suggest a usedNinja 250 after the Grom. Remember though,riding motorcycles is not the safest thing you can do.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You guys are awesome thanks a ton for all the advice. I've been riding the scooter for about two and a half months and a hard 1000 miles or so haha. Idk what its called but I removed the main kick stand underneath it cause it always scraped while cornering. Low sided it twice in the first two weeks and have since learned how much of a lean angle those cheap chinese tires can take. Crashing sucks and I learned that quick. I plan on take it easier on the grom and much much easier on what ever big bike I end up with. I also plan on buying full riding gear piece by piece while I have the grom and wearing it at all times.

I do have liability on the scooter but I'm not super worried about insurance prices because I graduate from recruit class to be a full time paid fire fighter in early January:D

I have confidence in my ability to respect my limits and the extreme capabilites of a 600.

Again thanks a lot guys.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bought my first bike at your age... A Yamaha seca 2 600. Lol... I loved that bike... Since then have had many bikes and cars... Just be a defensive driver...to much texting and such. Going on now days enjoy

1 - 20 of 31 Posts