Honda Grom banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What could happen? :serious:

It really bugs me that we can't get a better light for this thing without going HID.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I asked the samething and got nothing!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I asked the samething and got nothing!

Probably the battery goes flat or you burn out the charging coil

Bikes are not overly designed on the electrical front - they dont generally get fitted with Stereos with 1000W amps like cars

Typically the charging circuits on bikes are just a little over nominal current draw with lights and brake lights on.

So an extra 20W is like a 40% (excuse the maths) extra load on the total lighting circuit.

Maybe those with manuals will have the spec for the charging coil to confirm its capacity?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Those should work ^

·
Registered
530 Posts
Those should work ^
6500k isn't a bad light either, I'm running 6500k silverstars in my truck now and it doubled my visibility

·
Registered
236 Posts
The electrical system is definitely not designed for much more power consumption than it already has.

You could replace the running/turn signals with LEDs which have substantially lower power draws. This might compensate for more headlight utilization. Ditching 4ea 2w bulbs which run all of the time covers quite a bit.

I know a bunch of people will get butt hurt over this comment but a 35watt HID will consume less power and output more lumens than the 55w halogen ( if you are using 4300 to 6000K colors). I will be installing mine within the next week. Is it bright? Hell yes they are. I can see better and be seen better.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thought the grom had an H4 bulb stock?
The H4 is slightly different. It can be used without modification in an H1 housing. People say that you are likely to melt the lens or wires etc. I have been running HID lamps for years. This is the only answer for me.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
The electrical system is definitely not designed for much more power consumption than it already has.

You could replace the running/turn signals with LEDs which have substantially lower power draws. This might compensate for more headlight utilization. Ditching 4ea 2w bulbs which run all of the time covers quite a bit.

I know a bunch of people will get butt hurt over this comment but a 35watt HID will consume less power and output more lumens than the 55w halogen ( if you are using 4300 to 6000K colors). I will be installing mine within the next week. Is it bright? Hell yes they are. I can see better and be seen better.
You installing that HID in a projector housing or reflector?

Also, the rear blinkers are only on when they are signaling a turn.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I had an HID on my KLR250. It was nice, but I felt like I was blinding people, and I probably was. What kit are you using, and how are you projecting the beam so as to not piss anyone off. :question:

I really want better lighting on this thing. I have a pair of Mondo Motos LED driving lights I'll be installing, as soon as my fuzeblock arrives.

·
Registered
236 Posts
The kit that I use is from DDMTUNING. It is a 5000k 35 watt setup. Initially I will be running it in a reflector housing. The Grom headlight is low enough that it should be a bother on low beams if it is aimed correctly. I haven't had trouble in the past with them on other bikes. It has also reduced the number of times people have pulled out in front of me while riding which makes worth it alone. I would be up for a projector housing but the reports from our UK brethren is not that positive regarding the shape of the light being projected.

It is one thing to be blasting HID lights out of a reflector housing on a car or tall pickup. On a bike, I couldn't care less if they are pissed. That means they saw me.

·
Registered
236 Posts
You installing that HID in a projector housing or reflector?

Also, the rear blinkers are only on when they are signaling a turn.
Thanks for that. I thought they ran all of the time like the fronts. I guess I haven't seen my bike riding from the back yet.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
It is one thing to be blasting HID lights out of a reflector housing on a car or tall pickup. On a bike, I couldn't care less if they are pissed. That means they saw me.
Exactly, my buddy said his msf instructor told everyone in the class to either install hid or run high beams everywhere.. Would you rather a car see you or turn in front of you?

·
Registered
46 Posts
The kit that I use is from DDMTUNING. It is a 5000k 35 watt setup. Initially I will be running it in a reflector housing. The Grom headlight is low enough that it should be a bother on low beams if it is aimed correctly. I haven't had trouble in the past with them on other bikes. It has also reduced the number of times people have pulled out in front of me while riding which makes worth it alone. I would be up for a projector housing but the reports from our UK brethren is not that positive regarding the shape of the light being projected.

I have the same kit but 15000k deep blue at home that I want to put in off of another bike, am I correct the Grom is a H4 or is it an H1?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts