Honda Grom banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
And he only weighs in at 145 pounds. I'm afraid I might start modding sooner than I thought. Hopefully once more people get on the road we will get a better sample of the true top speed.

·
Registered
872 Posts
And he only weighs in at 145 pounds. I'm afraid I might start modding sooner than I thought. Hopefully once more people get on the road we will get a better sample of the true top speed.
Yes, indeed. I'm sure many will be posting their top speeds and conditions at which they do it. Lets not ASSume anything just yet.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I had 70 showing on my speedo.......Oh hang on that's in KPH. :yawn:

Don't worry guys, it WILL do better than 55mph
I had a Suzuki 125 struggled to reach 50mph until it was broken in.
After that it just flew, easily reaching 65 plus.
I expect the Honda is going to need 1000miles under it's belt before it starts to show it's best

Anyhoo, it's a nice sunny day here.
I'm off to put some miles (Killometers) on my Grom.

Dog

·
Registered
674 Posts
So far ive gone to 7k flat not wide open.
up hills wide open, i can get to 7k.
On my speedo redline looks like 82 or 8300.

55mph long periods, you'll need a seat and balanced tire/rims. Oh and if 40 miles straight without stops, GOOD LUCK. Man that woudl BLOW.
Your butt will get used to it, well atleast mine did! Longest i did straigt was 175km then i had enough :)

As for the modding, dont start too fast, give the engine some time and miles!

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
If wot for ikwan78 is only 59, I am still disappointed. False advertising? This is not just under 65 mph, and if we are talking speedo speed, it is more like 55 mph top speed actual which is 10 miles under 65 mph. This will not do. Sorry.
I never expected 70! Where did you come up with that? 60mph was always top speed.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
If wot for ikwan78 is only 59, I am still disappointed. False advertising? This is not just under 65 mph, and if we are talking speedo speed, it is more like 55 mph top speed actual which is 10 miles under 65 mph. This will not do. Sorry.
I don't recall seeing any performance specifications or claims put out by Honda. Also, I have never had any vehicle that was more than 3-4 mph off on the speedometer. So an indicated 65 would be more like the 62 you were hoping for.

As for me, I know it will hit 55 which is generally going to be at lest 10 mph more than I need.

This bike is going to be great for the roads I have intended for it.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Honda on their website claims "just under 65 mph". 55 mph is NOT just under 65 mph...64 mph is. I can live with a sustained 64 mph on the flat. Like I said, I have had 125 bikes that did 60 mph...like the 125 Sportcity scooter. I expect the Grom to do better due to lighter weight and I don't know engineering, gearing...something. And now 2 people have reported the bike shakes for lack of a better word near top speed. How can this be good??

·
Registered
90 Posts
Honda only claims 56 mph (90 km/h) on the official COC (certificate of conformity) in Europe.

It goes faster (saw an indicated 97 km/h = 60 mph without 'crouching' on a flat road).

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Besides changing the name to grom, and change the headlights, did they also change the gearing for the USA model?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using HondaGrom.net mobile app
I highly doubt that. Honda is very consistent with world models. It does t make sense to have different internals. Lights and reflectors on the other had are cheap and easy to change for different countries regulations.

·
Registered
386 Posts
So far ive gone to 7k flat not wide open.
up hills wide open, i can get to 7k.
On my speedo redline looks like 82 or 8300.

55mph long periods, you'll need a seat and balanced tire/rims. Oh and if 40 miles straight without stops, GOOD LUCK. Man that woudl BLOW.
Northwest Minnesota sucks. Its a 40 mile straight road, no curves, and one stop sign along the way. It blows no matter what your driving.

Sent from my MB865 using HondaGrom.net mobile app

·
Registered
674 Posts
Honda only claims 56 mph (90 km/h) on the official COC (certificate of conformity) in Europe.

It goes faster (saw an indicated 97 km/h = 60 mph without 'crouching' on a flat road).
Fact, i got it up to 101 with my girl at the back so no probs at all !

·
Registered
659 Posts
I hope the wobble ( or vibration, shuddering?) at higher speeds IS an unbalanced front tire and not the little motor struggling or suspension. I have had several bikes that sounded and felt like they were going to fall apart or explode near top speed (GZ250 was one). I need to be able to pin it and go wot 62 mph (or whatever top speed turns out to be) for a long time without wobbling, overheating, or worrying. That's how I've always ridden my small bikes. My little Sportcity 50 only had two positions...stopped and WOT. Top speed was 43 mph but you could ride it like that for hours.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts