Honda Grom banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I’m really happy with the performance of my Grom now as it feels like a proper motorcycle since installing the 186 kit and big valve head. The bike easily cruises 60 mph @ 7500rpms regardless of the grade wind etc. But, I find myself “shifting” into 5th a lot lol. To make it perfect I think a 5 speed may be in order. Those that have done the install how do the ratios compare to the OEM 4 speed ? Is 5th just a continuation of the OEM tranny or, are the ratios different across the entire range ? Is there a marked improvement in performance, change in cruising rpms etc. ?

Thanks in advance,

KC

Reactions: mikochu

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
5th is the same for the most part as the stock 4th, (depending on the brand) it just fills the 'gap' in between 3rd and 4th.

·
Administrator
925 Posts
Love my Takegawa 5spd. Below are the ratios for both Kitaco and Takegawa, as well as stock.If you're gonna split the cases, might as well do the crank too...

Stock Ratio
1st : 2.500 2nd : 1.550 3rd : 1.150 4th : 0.9235

Gear Ratio Cross missionGEAR (kitaco)
1st : 2.571 2nd : 1.722 3rd : 1.333 4th : 1.130 5th: 1.000

Takegawa TAF 5 Speed Transmission Kit for Honda Grom/MSX 125

1st : 2.333 2nd : 1.684 3rd : 1.272 4th : 1.040 5th : 0.923

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
5th is the same for the most part as the stock 4th, (depending on the brand) it just fills the 'gap' in between 3rd and 4th.
If that is the case I’m not going to waste my time and money. My 16/34 setup runs well. I may try a 32 rear but I don’t think I have the umph for it.

·
Registered
726 Posts
my 181 big 2-valve cruises really nice with 16/32, but it won't hit rev limiter in 4th unless you draft or go down hill. It does feels a little sluggish in the mid-range, but its worth it if you are going to do a lot of freeway riding.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
none of the 5 speeds offer a wider gear ratio range, in fact they only offer a narrower spread of ratios. You would either be grabbing for a taller gear more, or be very disappointed in your loss of low end by going 5 speed.

Drop 2 teeth in the rear.... you just got your motor together n running proper, no need to to do a full disassemble of it to not actually do anything.

·
Registered
611 Posts
my 181 big 2-valve cruises really nice with 16/32, but it won't hit rev limiter in 4th unless you draft or go down hill. It does feels a little sluggish in the mid-range, but its worth it if you are going to do a lot of freeway riding.
I tried 17/32 with the Neo 181 and 4th was horrible. 16/32 was much better. Finally settled back on 15/32. Great 4th gear acceleration and goes faster than with the 16/32 setup. I have no problems riding on the I5 with 15/32. You may want to try it if you already haven't.

Reactions: RedFox and mikochu

·
Registered
611 Posts
i can't find the effort to reopen the engine to install the 5 gear.

but it's a big regret.
I've had the 4 new bearings and the 15mm bush and thrust washer since October. Just haven't ordered the actual 5-speed yet. Same here, I haven't seen the need to do the swap. But I do think about it everyday. I should've done it when I pulled the case apart to do the Kitaco crank.

Reactions: MSX UD ITA

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Im just curious as to why one would want a 5 speed for day to day use, only positive i see with it is for racing applications where you change final gearing for track conditions etc. But in day to day use it offers a lesser width of gears, and depending on which one you go with a much taller first gear, which IMO even on the stock trans first gear is too tall.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I tried 17/32 with the Neo 181 and 4th was horrible. 16/32 was much better. Finally settled back on 15/32. Great 4th gear acceleration and goes faster than with the 16/32 setup. I have no problems riding on the I5 with 15/32. You may want to try it if you already haven't.
I will try 15/32. Sounds like it'll ride similar to 16/34 which was good too. Thanks!

·
Registered
897 Posts
Im just curious as to why one would want a 5 speed for day to day use, only positive i see with it is for racing applications where you change final gearing for track conditions etc. But in day to day use it offers a lesser width of gears, and depending on which one you go with a much taller first gear, which IMO even on the stock trans first gear is too tall.
It rawly adds upswing to gears.. Note that if I will install that I will remove 1st gear fork.. So it will result as a 4 gear anyway

Inviato dal mio WAS-LX1A utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Registered
962 Posts
My sentiments exactly. I considered a 5 speed until I saw the gear ratios. You gain nothing in range.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Is there anyone on forums who installed the 5 speed gearset, and then regretted it?

·
Administrator
925 Posts
I don't regret my 5 spd, but it is a bit finnickier personally when going from 1-2, adjusting the shift arm helped, but I have PTSD from so many embarrassing accidental neutrals. I like the closer ratios and dont mind shifting more, but I've yet to take it to the track.

·
Registered
8,407 Posts
All my other motorcycles are 5 or 6 speed and I like to keep the shifting constant in my memory bank, only one with the 4 speed is my 1971 SL-125 Honda

Motor vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Product Mode of transport

·
Registered
897 Posts
I know people who have installed the 5-speed and didn't like it for the track because it was more shifts that slowed them down more than they expected it would.
Because 1st gear is useless. they had to remove its fork. Basically the 2nd gear will become the 1st (so 4 total anyway)

Inviato dal mio WAS-LX1A utilizzando Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 30 Posts