Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for info on doing 5 gear install. Right now I'm topping out at 62-64. Just looking for a little more, to keep ahead of idiot drivers. So far this is my setup. Yoshimura exhaust, take 143bbk, chimera intake, pcv, wb2, kitaco clutch cover , super pump, oil cooler 4 fin. Plus cosmetic stuff also. Not looking to swap motors or anything just do a 5th gear. So any Info or products you could point me to would be appreciate. And if you have already done 5th gear, how easy was it? Any problems u ran in to? Thanks again.

·
Registered
238 Posts
It's easy, but the tools cost a bit to do the case work. Totally worth every penny. Think I've got the Takegawa kit, but it's been so long I'm not sure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What tools were needed? Are they grom specific tools. I'm a mechanic so I've got a big tool box.. lol.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,395 Posts
I'm not convinced you will increase your top speed with an extra gear, probably just better acceleration and still maintain a similiar top speed. I do not have a 5 speed, but if you don't have enough power to turn your gearing to redline now, extra gearing probably will not help. What sprockets front and rear are you using?

Reactions: Chillis

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
5th gear does not add top speed. A 5speed transmission will give you more usable gears while riding and helps you get up to speed. Change the front and or rear sprocket to get more MPH I have done several motor builds and if your local to me ( bay area ca) I would help you install

·
Registered
2020 Honda Monkey and others
792 Posts
What tools were needed? Are they grom specific tools. I'm a mechanic so I've got a big tool box.. lol.
Flywheel puller, crankshaft install tool, oil spinner removal tool, the special socket for clutch basket removal.

I bought a complete kit from webike japan website. Will be doing mine in a few weeks.

Gears won't give you top speed. You will lose transmission gearing spread as the offerings from Kitaco and Takegawa are both close ratio.

What you will gain is being able downshift and not be screaming uselessly in the gear below. You will also always be able to be in the power where you want at given speeds compared to stock where you are either screaming or falling on your face as far as power delivery.

Big bore and more HP can help make the stock gearbox more usable but still, the spacing is too far.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
so your saying that a 5th gear all it does is re-gear so that you have to shift sooner? that makes no sense. cars operate a set rpm. and when u add a transmission to a motor, it still operates same rpms. but the gears make it so you can go faster.. .. i have no issue with getting to redline.. i do that fine. i basically ride topped out in redline. my sprocket is stock, i have a 13T and 15T and have tried those but all it did was either lower my top speed or kill my accel. So unless the gearing is totally a hack job on a 5speed, then it should change the lower gears slightly, but the 5 gear should give me high top speed.. other wise what's the point of a transmission.. the acceleration is fine, i dont need to accelerate faster. 4speed does that fine no problem. I could be totally wrong. im just saying. look at a mountain bike. they dont go same speed from 1st to 14th.. i guess what i really need to do is get stock gearing ratios, and 5speed ratios and see if the 5th gear is geared higher.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
5th gear does not add top speed. A 5speed transmission will give you more usable gears while riding and helps you get up to speed. Change the front and or rear sprocket to get more MPH I have done several motor builds and if your local to me ( bay area ca) I would help you install
nah im in Tacoma, WA. whats your suggestion on sproket gearing then to add little top speed and not screw with the acceleration?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
ok question ive seen people post that they have tops speeds of 70's even 80's. how can they achieve that if there not doing it thru the transmission? cuase ive done the sprocket changes and i didn't see anywhere close to those numbers. and maybe there full of it and really aren't getting those speeds. but if they are. how would they be going about it.. guess i should also clarify so that you can help with what im trying to achieve.. I just want to be able to hit 65 to 70mph, ride comfortably at around low 60's high 50's, but not be in redline the entire time. but i dont want to kill my acceleration at the same time..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
let me also say. I appreciate all the info and points that you've all put forward here.. i dont want to seem like im an ungrateful jackass that knows everything, cause i know i dont or i wouldnt be here asking. So let me say thank you cause i know i can seem abrasive in other peoples eyes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Flywheel puller, crankshaft install tool, oil spinner removal tool, the special socket for clutch basket removal.

I bought a complete kit from webike japan website. Will be doing mine in a few weeks.

Gears won't give you top speed. You will lose transmission gearing spread as the offerings from Kitaco and Takegawa are both close ratio.

What you will gain is being able downshift and not be screaming uselessly in the gear below. You will also always be able to be in the power where you want at given speeds compared to stock where you are either screaming or falling on your face as far as power delivery.

Big bore and more HP can help make the stock gearbox more usable but still, the spacing is too far.
after sitting and thinking about it for a bit. i think what your saying here is what im really trying to achieve. i still would think that you would gain a higher tops speed by adding another gear.. not a massively higher top speed or anything but a higher top then a stock 4 speed.

·
Registered
792 Posts
A transmission in itself doesn't give you a top speed.

Power, wind resistance, friction of your vehicles moving components all factor in. Gearing maximized for those conditions does.

Even though it says the 5 speed has a narrower overall spread, it sure doesn't feel like it seat of the pants.

I clocked 96 mph full tuck last night in 4th gear(thought I was in fifth) on a slight downhill coming back into Vegas.

Five speed means you can always be in the right place at the right time.

If you run shorter gearing with the 4 speed then this may not be as exaggerated.

Ever since going 181 I've been running +1 up front for more comfortable cruising speeds which makes the stock wide ratio more of a burden when you are dropping a gear and it is at or past peak power(screaming) and if you upshift you are below peak torque and the engine falls on its face.

Five speed you drop a gear and are where you need to be. No long pulls through each gear, just hit the power, shift up and in the power again so you end up with a faster rig because you can always be where you need to be.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
So on my stock grom "stockito" I was able to top it out tucking and pushing it to rev limiter in 4th gear. I shift at the rev limiter for each gear when doin so on a pure flat road it takes a min with tucking in the video its around the 3min mark with 4th gear limiter

·
Registered
792 Posts
So on my stock grom "stockito" I was able to top it out tucking and pushing it to rev limiter in 4th gear. I shift at the rev limiter for each gear when doin so on a pure flat road it takes a min with tucking in the video its around the 3min mark with 4th gear limiter

This proves my point exactly. Every shift you drop down too far and it is bogging.

The five speed is in the power all of the time.

When I get my tuning dialed I'll get a video up of the 5 speed.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The Takegawa transmission is great, you get a slightly longer 1st gear and then all the gears are slightly shorter, with way less RPM drop between shifts which keeps you in the power at all times. It wont increase your top seed, what it will do is get you to top speed way quicker through mechanical advantage. The drop from 4th to 5th gear sometimes feels like almost nothing with the gearing I'm running.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
The 4th gear is the only gear thats spaced further apart, I do have a closer 4th gear I could put in. The 5dspd will keep you in the power band a bit better but dont expect to be doing 90

·
Registered
792 Posts
Listen to the sound of the spacing on the 5 speed. Hear a difference? I sure hope so.

Sorry for the crappy angle of the camera.

There are some good full rpm rips in there.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Takegawa or KItaco?
Mine is Takegawa.

I believe the Kitaco gearing doesn't read the speedometer sensor due to the 5th gear diameter change. Gear too far away to catch the signal.

Not positive on that but I believe that is what I'd read.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts