Honda Grom banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I recently made and printed a intake like a chimera intake and I notice a very noticeable loss in low end. I was wondering if any other pod intakes like that have a noticable loss in low end or if it was just my design

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think it depends on the length of the intake tube. If you look at the Dinger intakes, seems like the longer it is, the better it is for low end torque. The shorter the intake tube, the better it is at the top end. I think tooter (on this forum) runs a modified Dinger intake where he extended the length even more so that he gets more torque down since he's using his Grom to commute.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it depends on the length of the intake tube. If you look at the Dinger intakes, seems like the longer it is, the better it is for low end torque. The shorter the intake tube, the better it is at the top end. I think tooter (on this forum) runs a modified Dinger intake where he extended the length even more so that he gets more torque down since he's using his Grom to commute.
Gotcha mine is pretty short

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is this all you have done just an intake?

Length of intake runner...

Fueling...

Miles with new intake for Ecu to adjust your fueling...
Just the intake and reset the ECU and put quite a few miles on it to adjust. Nothing with the fuel or the length of the intake

·
Registered
825 Posts
Most intakes are short to gain top end horsepower, but you give up low end torque to get it. Mine is extra long and my engine pulls from 3,000 rpms without lugging.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Most 3D printed material is highly permeable or porous... even the professional rapid prototype stuff. You may be running the equivalent of an extremely short runner.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yes, this was the point I was making.

Years ago I had a rapid prototype intake manifold made for a Kawasaki 600 4cyl used in an open-wheel car. The motor didn't perform anywhere near how I had modeled the flow when it was on the engine dyno and the reason for this was later determined to be the porosity of the prototype material. I wasn't guessing - I'm telling you this is almost certainly what is happening given my experience with almost an identical problem.

Intake length on these motors is huge... like nearly camshaft levels of powerband adjustment. I'm sure exhaust is too, but it's more challenging to tune unless you really want to mess around with pipe lengths and such.

·
Vendor
1,790 Posts
When we developed our Mtake, we did a LOT of testing, and it's SHOCKING how runner length effects the power delivery. Any downside you're seeing is a product of that and/or accurate fuel tuning. 3D printing often ourselves, I'd be Leary of running a 3D printed intake long term, due to possible breakdown w/ heat and chemical exposure.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Intake length on these motors is huge... like nearly camshaft levels of powerband adjustment. I'm sure exhaust is too, but it's more challenging to tune unless you really want to mess around with pipe lengths and such.
It is.
I've been constantly experimenting with intake and exhaust design practically since the first day I owned my Grom. I went extremely long on the intake and discovered that the effect came on too low and too far out of the stock cam powerband. Shortening it to the present setup, the effect is night and day. I know this because with the shortened intake, the Winter gas mileage has consistently increased from 125 to 132 mpg, and the engine is even more responsive down to 3,000 rpm.

I understand I'm going exactly the opposite direction as everyone else, but I'm actually onto something. I've got a metal lathe arriving tomorrow and ordering a pulse TIG welder so I can pursue my ideas further. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts