Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bike is awesome in person. The black paint is nice and shiny. The headlight looks cool in person. The mirrors aren't as bad as the pictures. The stock shock looks pretty sweet also. The GROM sticker isn't as bad as the pics. I don't have a problem with the seat but I'm 140lbs.

Cons: 50mph+ wobble. Couldn't hit 60mph(topped out at 59mph downhill). Rear fender is just as ugly as in the pics. After reading someone saying the front signals are too large, I can't stop thinking about how massive they are.

Worst con(and the only one that truly bothers me): The seat is unnecessarily difficult to remove and put back on. I mean so hard you understand the only purpose for removing it would be to grab your manual or insurance out, but no, you have to take the seat off to use the helmet lock. Why couldn't it just mimic the Ruckus?

One of the best parts is the bike is so narrow it easily fits inside a door. I have mine inside my apt.
(if the img is upside down just click it and it'll open fullscreen right-side-up)
IMG_4596.jpg

·
Registered
412 Posts
Worst con: The seat is unnecessarily difficult to remove and put back on.

Just an FYI.
My wife's Grom seat is a bstd to put on and off.
Tugg like mad to get it off, and needs careful lining up to put back on.

Mine is fine, easy on and off.
Turn the key and it pops up, push down and it's on.

So I am assuming it's an adjustment thing.
I'll look into it later and post up what I find

Dog

·
Registered
126 Posts
On my MSX it is a bstd as well, have to yank it in all kinds of directions to get it off and have to line it up and judo chop it to get it back in place/

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
grrr.. i thought mine was broken bc i couldnt get it off either! i will need to do a video of my top speed so everyone else can see it has hit 62.

i dont think anyone else has siad they have gone past 60 yet.

i finally got my ram mirror mount installed yesterday so i,m now setup to record videos with my gopro and iphone.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Thanks for the review. That wobble has me worried cause I plan to do most of my riding over 50 mph. I will have to have the tires balanced as well as possible for beginners. Next might be the front forks, but this is potentially a safety concern. This little wobble under the right conditions can turn into a tank slapper wobble or cause you to lose traction and control. It needs to be addressed pronto.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Nobody has yet said if there are weights on the wheels. That's kind of a dead giveaway to if the tires are balanced or not. All I can say is my Vespa 300 with the same size tires goes 82 mph without any wobbles, but they are balanced of course. Oh and the Vespa 300 claims 80 mph but goes 82 mph. There is a lesson for ya here, Honda. You lied about the Grom top speed. That's strike 1. Strike 2 is the wobble being widely reported. Here I thought Honda was supposed to stand for quality.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Nobody has yet said if there are weights on the wheels. That's kind of a dead giveaway to if the tires are balanced or not. All I can say is my Vespa 300 with the same size tires goes 82 mph without any wobbles, but they are balanced of course. Oh and the Vespa 300 claims 80 mph but goes 82 mph. There is a lesson for ya here, Honda. You lied about the Grom top speed. That's strike 1. Strike 2 is the wobble being widely reported. Here I thought Honda was supposed to stand for quality.
Sounds like it will wind up more after it breaks in, AJ Nin. I can do low 70's on my GY6 Ruck and might feel a little disappointed in the upper 50's on the Grom. But really what excited me about this bike the most was it's nimbleness, not top speed. But hopefully a few little mods and break-in can get 'er moving a bit faster.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Well sure. It depends on how you intend to use the bike. I intended to use it for day trips at speeds of 60-62 mph with an hour or two at that speed. I already have a race bike and two excellent commuter/urban bikes.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
AJ can you please post a link to any Honda site anywhere in which they list the top speed of ANY of their bikes?

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
If I were planning on using a bike for extended runs at 60+ MPH I would be looking at 200cc and up.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Or just stay with the ninja 300
Maybe. If I was really looking to do those speeds I would probably go CB500F. If that is the majority of what I was going to do. If I thought I might mix it up, then maybe a CRF250L for some DS riding.

1 - 20 of 147 Posts