Honda Grom banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2023 grom sp. I just bought and have roughly 260miles I noticed a sorta winding noisethe last few trips I've taken. At first sounded like it was coming front the front. Then I notice when I down shift it kinda goes away But will come back. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
225 Posts
2023 grom sp. I just bought and have roughly 260miles I noticed a sorta winding noisethe last few trips I've taken. At first sounded like it was coming front the front. Then I notice when I down shift it kinda goes away But will come back. Any thoughts?
I'd first check and if needed adjust chain slack. I've found chain slack perfect only to find it tight a moment later after rotating the wheel. Put rear on stand and rotate wheel and see if chain slack changes while checking different areas of the chain. Hope it's something that simple to correct with a new chain.

·
Registered
2022 Honda Grom SP
45 Posts
Groms are noisy bikes. Both my '17 SF and my 22 SP rattled, buzzed, whined, whirred, etc. The cheap chain and ridiculous sprocket are usually the main culprits, but it is not uncommon for any motorcycle in my experience to have a little gear whine in certain gears at certain rpm. As BoricuaLlama said, changing the chain and sprocket will likely solve some of the noise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I have this on my ‘23. It’s annoying but will be cured with a better chain and sprocket.
So went for a ride again today. And that noise is back. Definitely upfront maybe. Has to be from something spinning. I got it home and put in neutral. And revved up to 5k no sound. So probably not motor. Im thinking the worse and thinking transmission. Thinking of getting my buddy's help and putting up on stand and putting in gear to listen to it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So went for a ride again today. And that noise is back. Definitely upfront maybe. Has to be from something spinning. I got it home and put in neutral. And revved up to 5k no sound. So probably not motor. Im thinking the worse and thinking transmission. Thinking of getting my buddy's help and putting up on stand and putting in gear to listen to it.
Look up all the trouble the 2022s are having. Sounds like the same thing. Lots of people have this issue but no one has figured it out yet. Dealerships don't know what to do; barely even understand what's going on. Honda also seems to have no clue.

You're the first 23 I've heard of with it, but they're still new.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'd first check and if needed adjust chain slack. I've found chain slack perfect only to find it tight a moment later after rotating the wheel. Put rear on stand and rotate wheel and see if chain slack changes while checking different areas of the chain. Hope it's something that simple to correct with a new chain.
The chain is kinda cheap, use plenty of chain lube, and consider getting a better one

·
Registered
2022 Honda Grom SP
45 Posts
I made a video of mine and sent it to my dealer. He forwarded it on to Honda.
Can you post it on here? Or send a link to the vid on another platform? I’d be curious to what kind of sound it’s making as those types of things are often hard to describe with words. Think it could be helpful for others having the same issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well got my stand and got bike up on it. Put in gear. And found the sound coming from front sprocket.
mine sounds like its coming from the front sprocket/transmission area, and if i gear down it gets quieter with each gear and once its clicked into 2nd it goes away entirely but will come back after riding another 5-10 miles...im gonna stop and talk to my dealer today about it

·
Registered
18 Posts
mine sounds like its coming from the front sprocket/transmission area, and if i gear down it gets quieter with each gear and once its clicked into 2nd it goes away entirely but will come back after riding another 5-10 miles...im gonna stop and talk to my dealer today about it
Good luck. I just talked to my dealer. Countershaft bearings went bad and got my engine hot enough that they have to rebuild it. All parts are on backorder.

POS bike.

·
Registered
146 Posts
That’s depressing I was hoping it would be identified and be in the clutch area. Makes me lean towards selling before it happens to this bike. I had 2 and it happened to the other

·
Registered
18 Posts
That’s depressing I was hoping it would be identified and be in the clutch area. Makes me lean towards selling before it happens to this bike. I had 2 and it happened to the other
I would. I wish I could go get mine now and go trade it.

There's no telling when they'll get those parts. Especially with everyone having this same issue.

I may go get it anyway.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts