Honda Grom banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
News today. At the crossover to the 1000 mile mark I looked down and was doing an indicated 69 mph, tucked, on a level road.

I was three pickup truck lengths behind a pickup truck. Not just 69mph for a flash second blip on the instrument panel, but at least for 20 seconds before I sat up and let off. Rpm's were maxed close to or maybe on redline, not sure.

Technically I guess I was drafting. But I thought I had to be a lot closer than that to draft?

Regardless, it had me smiling. I am not accustomed to such speed on the only other stock Grom I've ridden, my original 14.

It had to be a draft assist right? (Edit: I'm going to go with it had to be as I've not been able to replicate that speed tucked on an empty flat road.)

There is no wind here today.

The bike remains stock save for an integrated tail light and rear fender delete.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
What happens when you redline? I've never wound rpms to redline before, on any bike. Does it just cut power and you slow? Then does it give you power back after it falls below redline, rinse and repeat?

Is that what a rev limiter is? Does every Honda have a rev limiter or is that something people add to modified bikes?

·
Registered
800 Posts
News today. At the crossover to the 1000 mile mark I looked down and was doing an indicated 69 mph, tucked, on a level road.

I was three pickup truck lengths behind a pickup truck. Not just 69mph for a flash second blip on the instrument panel, but at least for 20 seconds before I sat up and let off. Rpm's were maxed close to or maybe on redline, not sure.

Technically I guess I was drafting. But I thought I had to be a lot closer than that to draft?

Regardless, it had me smiling. I am not accustomed to such speed on the only other stock Grom I've ridden, my original 14.

It had to be a draft assist right? (Edit: I'm going to go with it had to be as I've not been able to replicate that speed tucked on an empty flat road.)

There is no wind here today.

The bike remains stock save for an integrated tail light and rear fender delete.
I would say the pickup truck was helping your speed out, especially since you have been unable to replicate that speed. I’m also convinced that the 38t rear sprocket is helping tremendously too. The two previous Grom generations were way over geared. When I installed a 36t rear sprocket on my 2018, not only did the bike accelerate faster, but it actually gained top speed. I’m trying a 37t or 38t next.
What happens when you redline? I've never wound rpms to redline before, on any bike. Does it just cut power and you slow? Then does it give you power back after it falls below redline, rinse and repeat?

Is that what a rev limiter is? Does every Honda have a rev limiter or is that something people add to modified bikes?
My rev limiter has been raised to 10,000rpms. I hit the rev limiter on nearly every shift…lol! Yes, it does exactly what you describe. Some guys raise theirs to 12,000rpms, up from the stock 9250rpms limit.

I believe every Grom has a rev limiter. Not sure about Honda’s other offerings, especially historically speaking. I’d guess all of their modern bikes have one.

While I feel like I lost almost nothing on bottom end or mid range after installing my Yoshimura ST-2M camshaft, that cam really starts to scream above 9000rpms. If I’m not riding it at WOT, then I’m not riding it correctly, in my opinion…lol.

Reactions: Dav101

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I would say the pickup truck was helping your speed out, especially since you have been unable to replicate that speed. I’m also convinced that the 38t rear sprocket is helping tremendously too. The two previous Grom generations were way over geared. When I installed a 36t rear sprocket on my 2018, not only did the bike accelerate faster, but it actually gained top speed. I’m trying a 37t or 38t next.

My rev limiter has been raised to 10,000rpms. I hit the rev limiter on nearly every shift…lol! Yes, it does exactly what you describe. Some guys raise theirs to 12,000rpms, up from the stock 9250rpms limit.

I believe every Grom has a rev limiter. Not sure about Honda’s other offerings, especially historically speaking. I’d guess all of their modern bikes have one.

While I feel like I lost almost nothing on bottom end or mid range after installing my Yoshimura ST-2M camshaft, that cam really starts to scream above 9000rpms. If I’m not riding it at WOT, then I’m not riding it correctly, in my opinion…lol.
Thanks for the informative reply. Sounds like you know just how to ride the Grom and get the most out of it. Your upgrades sound good.

Personally I don't need the bike to be faster where I ride. It has just enough speed to stay out of the way and entertain me. It helps that all the roads around me are speed limited and the one 55mph road I take to work is a 4 lane divided highway. So if I'm struggling to stay at 60 up a long incline cars can just pass me in the other lane if they wish.

The Grom is well suited for my needs.

·
Registered
800 Posts
The 2022 seems like a great bike. Honda appears to have taken note of the upgrades so many people have been installing on the two previous generations and made them standard equipment now.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The 2022 seems like a great bike. Honda appears to have taken note of the upgrades so many people have been installing on the two previous generations and made them standard equipment now.
I agree. I'm loving the seat especially.

Ok so big news. On my way home from work just now I tried to experience the rev limiter cut off function. I was unsuccessful, but not in a bad way.

So there I was... :rolleyes: Haha,
I'm doing 60 in the right lane and a box truck hauling ass is passing me in the left lane. I swing over behind and I feel the wind resistance immediately recede and the bike starts going faster. I'm balls out wot in fifth tucked and giggling. This time I stayed cognizant of the tach.

Holy shit I'm one little LCD block away from the redline. Holy shit I'm touching the beginning of the redline now, but not in it.

Holy shit I'm doing an indicated 73 MILES PER HOUR! ON A SLIGHT UPHILL INCLINE! YIPYKYA MF'S! HAHAHA!

Please forgive my excitement on this achievement as I've not dabbled in drafting on the original 14 model, or anything for that matter. I just didn't know. (Shakes head perplexed)

At this point the box truck is so far in front of me and continuing to pull away I just couldn't believe I was still going that fast on an unmodified stock Grom with a little over 1100 miles on it, albeit a 22.

But I never experienced a power shut down during this little jaunt. I was so close. Not that I want to do that on a regular basis, but I did do it. Anyway, I was excited and wanted to share as I rarely behave like a maniac on the road this way.

I'm not one to modify Honda's engines as I'm more into their reputation for reliability and longevity but for those that love doing it, I think as parts and kits become available for the people that have the third generation that like to tinker and modify, they're going to have a hell of a good time of it. ;)

·
Registered
800 Posts
It has been a while since I’ve been into road cycling, I prefer to stay off the roads on a bicycle nowadays, but if I remember correctly, drafting was about a 30% reduction in drag. That is drafting behind another cyclist. You always know when you are close enough to the rider in front of you, because you can hear it.

On a bicycle this is only a couple of inches at most, off of their rear wheel. As soon as you get into that spot where you are getting the maximum reduction in drag, the air turbulence going over your ears mostly disappears. It gets much more quiet. You really come to appreciate the benefit of drafting on a bicycle, because you, yourself, are the motor. It is real easy for you to sense the reduction in effort required to move forward.

On a Grom, behind a box truck I’m betting the reduction in drag is more than 30%, and the sweet spot is huge by comparison to drafting another bicycle. Motorcycles typically are’t very aerodynamic. On a Grom with about 8hp at the rear wheel, catching a good draft can make a huge difference. Sometimes, when I’m on a 4 lane divided highway and will get behind several vehicles, you can definitely feel the your bike getting pulled along behind them.

You can easily hit the rev limiter in first, neutral, second, and third anytime you want.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

Absconding on 30 mile circuit loops around my area multiple times a day when I have some time has served for many a blissful diversion.

It's been fun amongst urban city streets and more so around rural back roads.

This new for 2022 model has gone to my head, so I snapped this picture to commemorate it on a recent diversion. :love:
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Light

I know I know, ...I should have been in 2nd gear. :sneaky:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Motorcycle Vehicle

It's been a couple weeks since I checked in here. Came back from a 30 mile loop on this gorgeous morning and did a quick 10 minute oil change at 2838 miles. I changed the paper filter at 600 miles and didn't bother with it today out of laziness. Paper filter is called for every 4000 miles so ...next time I do an oil dump. The oil was black.

At the 600 mile oil change I replaced the oil bolt with a Gold Magnetic Bolt. I see it caught some metal shavings

Cleaned and reinserted - I'll change the crush washer it came with next time

Grey Household hardware Circle Auto part Gas

The rear tire is losing it's roundness looks like it is showing early stages of squaring off. When I got the bike it had 31 pounds and I just ignored that but have been keeping them at 29 since.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

Many say their 2022 Grom came with V Rubbers but my SP came with IRC's
I'm thinking Michelin Power Pure SC when the time comes for a change
I read the Power Pure tires run smaller so I don't know which way I should go 130/70 or 140/70 rear to keep best speedometer accuracy. Could be people have been talking about width and not so much height diameter - no idea what's up there.

I've heard chain noise since new. When I change the tire I'm going to replace the chain and probably move on to O-Rings. Or maybe the fancy RK U-Ring chain offering at MNNTHBX, just to be different. No one has yet commented on what that chain has going on.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Also, I noticed one of my chain lock nuts was missing on the right side this morning and remedied. TST told me their captive chain adjusters will be ready soon barring any hold ups. I'm going to try a set when I swap out the chain.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Also, I noticed one of my chain lock nuts was missing on the right side this morning and remedied. TST told me their captive chain adjusters will be ready soon barring any hold ups. I'm going to try a set when I swap out the chain.
My 2022 only has 300 miles on it and around 200 I lubed and slightly tightened the chain. Had the same issue that both chain lock nuts were barely snug. Lubing and tightening helped a lot with the noise. Will be interested in what chain you go with and the noise level.

·
Registered
2014 Red Grom
169 Posts
I really like your posts Dav; full of observation and details. After seeing the magnetic oil plug with the metal shavings I'm wondering how much the paper filter caught and even the ole plastic mesh oil screen that's still there from the previous generations. I would love to thoroughly examine that oil filter. I know I sound nerdy but I am a curious cat. Wondering how well the filtration is working on the 2022 compared to maybe the Kitaco clutch cover on the old models.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Coming from an OG 14 I just wanted to pop in after getting back from a favorite 30 mile loop and state for the record, God I love this 22!

It took me years to accumulate 6000 miles on my OG but I'm coming up on 4000 miles on the RR in 2 months.

I have never enjoyed ANY bike as much as this one. I shouldn't be having this much fun at .03 cents per mile. Honestly, I feel like I'm sinning every time I ride it. 😇

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I got back from a ride today and decided as I was pulling in to change the oil since I'm at 4100 miles and I had intended to install a new oil filter on the 22 at 4000 miles anyway.

Practically no accumulation of metal shavings found on the magnetic oil plug this time as opposed to what I found at 2800 miles when last I did a random oil dump.
Thimble Liquid Gas Water Circle

Wiped off the black pasty ickiness on top and reinserted remembering at the last moment to use a new crush washer this time.
Household hardware Gas Screw Fastener Nickel

I couldn't find any evidence of metal shavings in the oil filter after inspecting it closely and even tried picking something up on a strong magnet but ...nothing. I didn't bother sliding a smaller magnet between the pleats, just rolled it around on the big magnet. Probably not the best way to search for metal bits but I had other chores lined up waiting for me to get to.
Automotive tire Microphone Gas Auto part Jewellery

I knew my rear tire would need replacing soon.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire

I washed the bike after the oil change and noticed the rear IRC tire probably needs to get changed sooner than I was expecting.
Light Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle

I remember reading something about using a penny to measure the tread depth but not sure how that works. Something about reaching Abe's head?

Sleeve Gesture Collar Finger Wood

I think I'm about there. I'll have to buy a tire soon. Maybe ditch the IRC on the front too although it still has some good tread left.

I bought a set of spooled chain adjusters and an RK Takasago U-Ring chain (420 MRU) and installed them about 400 miles ago. I swapped in new OEM sprockets too as I had a set stored for future use. What the hell. Why not? They're cheap.

Wheel Train Tire Vehicle Automotive tire

I wanted to install the chain adjusters and swap out the chain at the time I installed a new rear tire but just couldn't wait any longer as I wanted to see if the chain noise I'd been hearing since new would disappear. It did. The OEM chain had a stretched or tight spot in it causing the noise I had been accustomed too hearing. Silent now.

The finish on the Womet spools is chipping off with use. I wonder if that is indicative of all colored spools?
And I had to use colored rear sprocket nuts because, well because I just like pretty things. ;)

I'm thinking about swapping the front and rear wheel bearings for All Balls Bearings when I change tires although in a practical sense, completely unnecessary.

If I swap out the suspension at some point in the future I will swap the swingarm bushings for better ones. I might just swap them out now just to see if a difference could be perceived with the OEM rear shock before I make any plans to move beyond it.

Again, for the record - Loving this new 22! It's really about the transmission for me. I took my OG 14 out recently and ...yeah. It's just not the same experience. The 22 feels just so ...relaxing. But I'll keep the OG so I can continue teaching new riders and for my buddies (none of which own a bike) have something to ride when they're about.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,499 Posts
Get the wheel bearings, at least the rear ones. Mine are crunchy at every tire change. Maybe not shot, but definitely not smooth.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Get the wheel bearings, at least the rear ones. Mine are crunchy at every tire change. Maybe not shot, but definitely not smooth.
Yeah I hear you. Bearings are hard to predict, sometimes they just randomly go out and other times they last seemingly forever.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Fuel tank Automotive lighting

Got the new TRS pins for the 22 Grom from Pitbull and added a base plate to my utility tilt trailer. Gives new meaning to "taking my Grom out for rides." :ROFLMAO:

21 - 40 of 43 Posts