Honda Grom banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Grom SP.jpg

Fender delete and TST Integrated tail light added this morning. Kept the rear OEM turn signals as I ride in an urban area. I like the additional turn signals integrated within the brake light and set it up with the triple brake flash mode when the brakes are applied for the sake of conspicuousness. Compared to riding my '14, in a word, this bike is so Smooth.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Monkey and others
906 Posts
View attachment 90435

Fender delete and TST Integrated tail light added this morning. Kept the rear OEM turn signals as I ride in an urban area. I like the additional turn signals integrated within the brake light and set it up with the triple brake flash mode when the brakes are applied for the sake of conspicuousness. Compared to riding my '14, in a word, this bike is so Smooth.
Is it faster?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm keeping rpms below 6000 right now with the new engine. Consciously keeping myself from wot through each gear like I ride the 14. So I can't say yet.
Have you gotten the bike into 5th gear yet? How's it feel? A significant improvement in keeping revs down at higher speeds? I mean, I know in theory that's exactly what it should do, but I figure I'd ask and get a 1st hand opinion from someone who's ridden both setups.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you gotten the bike into 5th gear yet? How's it feel? A significant improvement in keeping revs down at higher speeds? I mean, I know in theory that's exactly what it should do, but I figure I'd ask and get a 1st hand opinion from someone who's ridden both setups.
Just returned home from a favorite 31 mile loop of twisty urban back roads that have little traffic, and butter smooth, and are kept maintained excellently. My favorite time to ride is just before and during twilight as I'm accustomed to doing almost every evening. 505 miles, so I'll do a 1st oil change this weekend and pop in a magnetic drain bolt I have for it.

The gear spacing is very nice. I ride city streets and it's perfect for that. I use 5th gear all the time. After 4th it's great to maintain speeds and take the stress and buzziness away from that little engine.

You won't use 5th to accelerate up hills but on flat roads it's very nice and it still allows you to accelerate well enough if you don't expect to over take.

I still love riding the 14 like a bat out of hell but I've really enjoyed riding the SP all over quietly without attracting any attention. People just don't see it as threatening and nod with a smile as I peacefully ride through their neighborhoods faster than I should.

MY MPG average on the first tank was 135, 2nd tank 135.5, and 133 on today's fill-up. I've been riding a mix of 45 - 55. I've seen 63 tucked on brief down hills exceeding my stay under 6000rpm rule during break-in here and there, but not holding open at wide open throttle. Probably not a great deal left though.

Comparing my riding experiences right now between my bone stock 14, I'd say the 22 is eating it's lunch :LOL:

I'll probably get another non-ABS 22 and create something a little more menacing. Yes, I'm a big fan of the new model. But I also live in a paradise for mini bikes. I'll still keep the 14 and continue riding it within an inch of it's capabilities as I like "feeling" fast without the troubles and baggage that a bigger bike introduces.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Performed 1st oil change at 602 miles yesterday and replaced the drain bolt with a gold magnetic one.

Lots of rain due this weekend so I'll probably spend an hour cleaning it up, servicing the chain, and get back to riding some more next week.

I'm loving the stock seat and the site glass window.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Performed 1st oil change at 602 miles yesterday and replaced the drain bolt with a gold magnetic one.
I thought the magnetic drain plug was more useful on the old Grom because it didn't have an oil filter? Shouldn't the oil filter in the new engine make that mostly unnecessary?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I bought 2 magnetic bolts for the 1st oil change on my CT125 Trail. The 2nd one was for the next time I changed oil on the Monkey but I forgot to use it. So I used it on the SP.

Was is it necessary? I don't know, probably not, but figured it couldn't hurt.

It's going to be some time before the monkey needs another oil change so I planned on making use of the bolt the next time I did a service on anything. ;)

·
Registered
787 Posts
I run a Gold Plug magnetic drain plug. It seems high quality. I also have the Kitaco clutch cover, which has an oil filter. I guess I like to easily see how much metal is accumulating and what size/type the pieces are. My bike has only had tiny, very fine pieces on the plug. Before I installed the magnetic plug, the screen had caught similar sized stuff. Some bikes seem to have more pieces and larger pieces that show up.

Reactions: Dav101

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Cleaned up the bike. The weekend rain arrived so my attention has been elsewhere. So couple more pics.

There's that stock seat. If you have an hour to abscond, it will do you no wrong. At least it has for the intervals I've been riding, so far.
Port closed.jpg

I installed a panel port when last time I was in there for the integrated tail light replacement. To be used for a battery tender or even heated clothing. If I forget my heated apparel is connected, it disconnects itself on its own through the natural motion of stepping off, preventing the odd tangle up. A nice unobtrusive spot right where I would want it for 12V wired heated gear.
Port open.jpg

When I get into the bike next I might put another panel port on the back near the plate for the sake of battery maintenance / convenience depending on how it's stored and shuffled around. No matter, this one can serve both purposes for the time being as it is.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I like the panel port. Yeah, that seems pretty ideal that your gear essentially disconnects itself when you step off. I’ve never ridden in any heated gear. I imagine it makes a huge difference in colder climates.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I like the panel port. Yeah, that seems pretty ideal that your gear essentially disconnects itself when you step off. I’ve never ridden in any heated gear. I imagine it makes a huge difference in colder climates.
Yeah I don't use heated gear much but in the fall it's nice to have a thin heated liner underneath when it's cool out.

I use the panel ports mostly for battery tending but if I only put one on a bike I put it somewhere conducive for heated gear.

I remember a trip I made on a ST1300 wearing heated gear head to toe, jacket, gloves, pants, and socks. There wasn't snow on the ground but light flakes were coming down and I was toasty warm the whole day.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
After riding the 22 to work and back for the first time today I was very pleased with its performance.

Where my current Monkey, Trail, and 14 Grom had issue with maintaining an indicated 55 mph on the same trip, the 22 had little trouble. I was impressed with the ease it cruised the 2 lane portion of the journey.

At only one brief point the 22 slowed to an indicated 52 mph no tuck where as my other bikes would have gone down much further with tuck on the same incline.

No wind today, perhaps that was a contributing factor, but I remain quite smitten with the new engine and gearing combination.

I'm not a tech head versed in the dialog of street physics but I just wanted to share with others my seat of the pants conclusion is Honda has a winner here with the new engine and gearing combo. It's definitely an improvement and should please the previous Monkey owners that experience the coming changes on the new Monkey.

I'm not a poet either but I think Honda has worked whatever mechanical voodoo they do so well as they've proven in the past on this newest Grom model.

Looking forward to others getting the new model that can better articulate the difference they experience with the new engine and 5 speed. The engine definitely felt much more relaxed which made me ride the same.

I continuously saw an indicated 56 mph at 6500 rpm no tuck and never shifted up to 4th on the inclines. I'm pretty sure my original 14 rpm would have been screaming in top gear just to maintain the same speed.

I sure didn't need to buy another Grom but I'm so glad I did. Worth it.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Maybe someday I will get an opportunity to ride a 2022. I would love to compare it to my 2018 and see what I think. It sounds like you have a complete fleet of mini bikes to compare the 2022 against, so that gives your assessment much more value.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It sounds like you have a complete fleet of mini bikes to compare the 2022 against, so that gives your assessment much more value.
LoL, I live in an area that has everything I need, where all roads are speed limited to 45 and under, as well as about 20 other connected towns similar. My larger bikes just sit now. I've learned over the years what kind of a rider I've become and accept it. I've always said if you can't find what you need here you don't need it. Only thing I don't have near me in the Midwest is mountains. I don't need them 😂

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Little Tikes.jpg

My little nephew helped me fill the under seat gap left from the seat strap delete the other day. It's ok, he outgrew the little ride along car the plastic badge emblems were donated from :p

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I took the 22 Grom on another trip to work today confirming the experience of the first trip, good. I hit 68 mph sitting casual straight up no tuck on a level road. In fact I could have gone faster but I was limited to the speed of the box truck I slipped behind and was drafting ;)

As soon as I moved out and left the draft it was like I was hit by this block of air resistance that nearly knocked me off the bike, wasn't prepared for that at all after the easy steady cruising. Drafting was an unnerving experience that I've never done before but I read about someone that did it and thought I'd give it a go. Suddenly I "get" birds flying in a V, Nascar, and TDF peloton strategy. Ha

·
Registered
787 Posts
LoL, I live in an area that has everything I need, where all roads are speed limited to 45 and under, as well as about 20 other connected towns similar. My larger bikes just sit now. I've learned over the years what kind of a rider I've become and accept it. I've always said if you can't find what you need here you don't need it. Only thing I don't have near me in the Midwest is mountains. I don't need them 😂
I guess you can’t miss what you have never had…lol. Mountains are like a sanctuary to me. A spiritual place. I’ve spent nearly my whole life in the mountains. I feel safest in the mountains.

Yeah, it’s good that you are happy with your area. It makes life better.

I took the 22 Grom on another trip to work today confirming the experience of the first trip, good. I hit 68 mph sitting casual straight up no tuck on a level road. In fact I could have gone faster but I was limited to the speed of the box truck I slipped behind and was drafting ;)

As soon as I moved out and left the draft it was like I was hit by this block of air resistance that nearly knocked me off the bike, wasn't prepared for that at all after the easy steady cruising. Drafting was an unnerving experience that I've never done before but I read about someone that did it and thought I'd give it a go. Suddenly I "get" birds flying in a V, Nascar, and TDF peloton strategy. Ha
Drafting makes a huge difference. I’m a lifelong cyclist. Being in a peloton of 100+ riders, it is amazing how you get sucked along with far less effort, and hit some crazy speeds. A few times I somehow let myself get spit out the back of the peloton, and it was over for me. I was done. There was no catching back up. I watched everyone pedal away. Over time, I learned to never ride in the back or in the very front, if possible. I liked riding near the front, but not so close to be exposed to the wind. I’m a climber, so pushing through the wind on the front would blow me up. I had to stay protected, then rip up the side of the mountains.

Sometimes a few of us would be out riding and we would jump behind a box truck going through town and get a nice pull.

Reactions: Dav101

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1st 600 miles averaged 134.5 mpg. Next two fill ups have me at 124.9 and 120.9 mpg at fill up this morning. 799 miles on the bike now.

After 600 miles I stopped babying it and have been riding normal. Not wot through every gear normal, but that will come.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
More fuel data

110.7 mpg on most recent fill up over the last 140.8 miles

I noticed the last fuel bar begin flashing and after filling up soon after determined at 110 mpg average I'd have about 30 miles left from that point before the 1.59 gal tank had nothing left in it.

So less then 30 miles before running out of fuel when the last bar starts flashing assuming the bike isn't going to run until the last drop available is used.

Been using 87 octane since I began recording mpg averages since taking possession of the bike.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts