Honda Grom banner
101 - 120 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Exhaust bluing at 100 miles

View attachment 92317
The best treatment for bluing is a tube of the award winning Solvol-Autosol. Apply with a Dremel - unless you don't mind the handwork - and it will come up like new. Superb stuff. I have been using it for donkey's years across a wide range of bikes: Bonneville/919/Thunderbird et al,.

Best to smear it on the pipe rather than the buffing wheel of the Dremel. Don't use on polished chrome be it plastic or metal. Best way to clean chrome is with scrunched up kitchen foil and coca-cola

Just cleaned a mate's wheels on his Audi.

Solvol-Autosol

:)

p.s. In the good old days we used to put a chrome spring on the header pipes of Nortons, BSA and Triumph to dissipate the heat and to stop them going blue.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
The best treatment for bluing is a tube of the award winning Solvol-Autosol. Apply with a Dremel - unless you don't mind the handwork - and it will come up like new. Superb stuff. I have been using it for donkey's years across a wide range of bikes: Bonneville/919/Thunderbird et al,.

Best to smear it on the pipe rather than the buffing wheel of the Dremel. Don't use on polished chrome be it plastic or metal. Best way to clean chrome is with scrunched up kitchen foil and coca-cola

Just cleaned a mate's wheels on his Audi.

Solvol-Autosol

:)

p.s. In the good old days we used to put a chrome spring on the header pipes of Nortons, BSA and Triumph to dissipate the heat and to stop them going blue.
LoL, in my case it's just the natural heat reaction inherent with titanium exhaust. I'm not really going for anything, just sharing what's happening as a normal byproduct of riding it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Touching base...

Action Shot of the 2022 Racer Boy Grom - I couldn't resist 😉

Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Automotive design Plant

The titanium exhaust bluing has lightened a bit after 2000 miles

Wheel Fuel tank Tire Plant Automotive fuel system

Nothing new or surprising to report on the plain Jane black Commuter Grom, it's got over 2000 miles on it as well.

The White SP has over 7000 miles and still remains my favorite to ride. Switching between the 3 provides for unique auroral experiences

The Commuter with stock emissions is so quiet you can't really hear any engine sound at speed over the wind, awesome when "misbehaving" under the radar.​
The White SP with the Yoshimura slip-on, sound insert, and OEM header pipe with inline catalytic converter is most satisfying and sporty. It projects a wonderful symphonic experience while not becoming offensive in dense areas.​
And while the red "Racer Boy" Grom has a very gratifying deep sonorous melody, it's most rewarding with the right mind set - when I "want" to be noticed. There is no "sneaking" around on that thing. It commands attention, ...good and bad. 😁​

·
Registered
178 Posts
I put stock muffler back on my Monkey. It is not as fast as complete Stage 2 with Yoshi and it is 3-4 mph slower at the top. But the bike sounds more mellow now.
My Grom SP is all stock. The stealthiness is useful. It is nice to have more than one set up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
prob send an email to cjr and dhm

i would be curious is a cam and tune alone or with an intake/cam/tune but keeping stock exhaust would be an improvement

theres a big drop in power from midrange but im curious is it restrictions or emissions based
I have the intake exhaust and cam with the aracer auto tune setup. The bike is annoyingly loud honestly but i think the cam and a tune would be the most beneficial. I didn’t notice any real gain from the intake and exhaust but the DHM S1 cam woke the mid and top end up a lot. I wish I had done it with no intake and exhaust to compare but of the 3 mods it made a noticeable difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
Late last night I deep cleaned the 3 22's. I used Honda Spray Cleaner & Polish. It comes in an aerosol can and has proven itself to me over many years. Inexpensive and great at dissolving dried on bug juices with a simple wipe. The bikes are gleaming.

Then I continued my "assembly line" work and cleaned then lubed then adjusted each of the chains. Made quick work of it with the aftermarket chain adjusters. I've found that cleaning and lubing is best done before adjustments are made. There's a difference. I can't recommend enough how awesome the Moto Chain-Mate - The Ultimate Motorcycle Chain Cleaning and Lubrication Kit gadget is for this job. No mess or overspray and makes the job fun. Checked and adjusted tire pressures and called it a night.

This morning the skies were threatening so I made a plan. Wonder if I could do 3 quick oil changes before the rain starts? Success. I took each bike for a 15 minute ride to warm up the oil and dumped it as I arrived back with each one. Cleaned the magnetic oil bolts up and reinstalled on each before moving on to the next. Pulled the key after each ride and stuck it in the seat switch so I would be reminded they didn't have oil added back yet, in case my attention got diverted.

Added oil back to each and checked the levels. So nice just dealing with exactly 1 quart.

So now I sit wearing my HR T-shirt with 3 bikes ready and I'm all randy for some action, and it's raining.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 · (Edited)
I have a confession to make. Even though the 22's have plenty of power for my riding area which is limited to 45 mph roads, I fell down the rabbit hole and did something I never wanted to do. I went Stage 2 on both the SP's. I know I know it happened again, I fell in the old trap I always do. Couldn't help myself. With 3 bikes that handle the same I thought it would be interesting to modify the powerband, just a little. Curiosity got the better of me and I wanted to see what the difference might be with the 2 different exhaust setups on the SP's.

I started with the Racer Boy Grom and after 500 miles I can say this. It gave me 5 mph. Not impressive? Well for me it's great. I didn't even need more top speed for my riding area but now I have more power everywhere. First thing I noticed is I'm using the brakes on my regular circuits now. Before I just went WOT through all my tight 35mph curvy roads but now I have to let off here and there. I'm faster. Good and bad, but I still have the commuter for that "make the best of what its got" feeling I love chasing.

So I have a solid 60mph unassisted sitting up on flat roads with the tall stock handlebars and the mickey mouse mirrors, (which I love) add 5mph when I tuck. (The unmodified black Commuter does 55 in the same situation.) And sure, all 3 will still do 73mph during short "down hills" tucked with no assistance. And a lot of the time I see 65-68 sitting up but that's when the roads undulate.

The cool thing is I can always get that 60mph in 5th at 7000 rpm on flat roads and it holds that speed much better now as the roads undulate. When I'm in traffic I can match whatever the cars around me are doing easily. And on trips to work I have a 55 mph 4 lane divided road that I can get pulled along when behind someone that's driving like a nut job. I once saw 80mph indicated while drafting before the mods were done, the bike was screaming. Edit: 80mph was before the speedo healer correction mentioned later

I should mention that I'm not using 93 octane gas either. I asked David at DHM to tune for 87 octane gas and he adjusted my timing accordingly for my setup. 87 octane, not for the expense, but as I suspected, for the grin I have every time I'm filling up. I knew this request would rob power, and David said it might affect it, but like I said before - the stock Grom speeds are really enough for my riding areas anyway.

I should also mention all the bikes have the OEM stock gearing using sealed aftermarket chains.

And finally I should mention if you compare what your reading with what you've read elsewhere about stage 2 expectations you might want to add an additional 2mph to all the numbers I've mentioned above as I have discovered the 2022 Grom speedometer reads 2 mph optimistic. I corrected that with 12oclock labs speedo healers on all 3 bikes so the above numbers are "real world."

By the way: I'm using the TST Intake, Yoshimura Dual Exhaust, DHM S1 Cam and flash tune on this bike.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 · (Edited)
My black Commuter Grom is stock, save for front and rear suspension, and on it I installed a Garmin GPS. So it became apparent to me it reads 2mph faster than actuality with the stock sprockets and stock tires.

I became curious and temporarily put an extra Garming GPS dock on the white SP and the red Racerboy and made several runs.

The Racerboy has Michelin Power Pure SC tires. 12 120 70 on the front and 12 130 70 on the rear. These tires I've read run small. The indicated speedometer and actual GPS difference read 2mph different, the indicated speedometer on the bike reading faster.

The White SP has a Michelin Power Pure SC 140 70 12 rear tire and stock IRC 12 120 70 front tire. It read only 1mph faster. Maybe that has something to do with the sizing difference? IDK

Nonetheless, it took about 5 minutes each to install and program the 12oclock speedo healers on all 3 bikes, couldn't be easier. As a consequence I suspect the odometer and mpg indicator would read more accurately now, although I never trusted the mpg indicator on the dash as I've found it optimistic in the past.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
So the White SP is behind the eight ball in everyway concerning maximizing a stage 2 upgrade with the S1 cam yet it remains my favorite to ride. Consider what it has going against it for a beneficial outcome for a stage 2 build:

Just an open air box cover (TST) - not a customized intake like the dinger, chimera, mnnthbx etc...​
A Yoshimura slip on muffler - not the full loop choice 95% of Grom owners go with.​
It has the OEM header pipe with inline catalytic converter that isn't as free flowing.​
It has the Yoshimura sound insert plugged in the end.​
Non-Premium regular 87 octane gas.​

David at DHM worked with me and setup an identical bike with these exact parameters to create my tune. I was very specific about pointing out this was the slip-on muffler not the full loop exhaust and it had the Yoshimura SOUND INSERT KIT for RS-9 Muffler, 1.250" (INS-RS9B-K). And I wanted to use 87 octane gas, not the 93 octane that he normally uses when developing a fuel map. And the TST Worx intake was going to be used with the stock OEM Grom air filter only.

So what is the result? About exactly the same as the Racerboy performance. I know right? Surprising! If I had to be specific I would have to say the Racerboy might have a bit more mid range power.

The end result though is fantastic. This combination of detriments has resulted in a bike that sounds like pure heaven when wailed upon. It's not tiring to the ear at speed nor excessive in populated areas. It provides for a mellifluous harmonic experience on the road. I'm loving it. That's why it's my favorite.

Kudo's to DHM for creating a fuel map flash where there are no dips, hesitations, pops, or crackling. Just perfect and spot on. Pulls nice and even through the entire rev range and every gear.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So the White SP is behind the eight ball in everyway concerning maximizing a stage 2 upgrade with the S1 cam yet it remains my favorite to ride. Consider what it has going against it for a beneficial outcome for a stage 2 build:

Just an open air box cover (TST) - not a customized intake like the dinger, chimera, mnnthbx etc...​
A Yoshimura slip on muffler - not the full loop choice 95% of Grom owners go with.​
It has the OEM header pipe with inline catalytic converter that isn't as free flowing.​
It has the Yoshimura sound insert plugged in the end.​
Non-Premium regular 87 octane gas.​

David at DHM worked with me and setup an identical bike with these exact parameters to create my tune. I was very specific about pointing out this was the slip-on muffler not the full loop exhaust and it had the Yoshimura SOUND INSERT KIT for RS-9 Muffler, 1.250" (INS-RS9B-K). And I wanted to use 87 octane gas, not the 93 octane that he normally uses when developing a fuel map. And the TST Worx intake was going to be used with the stock OEM Grom air filter only.

So what is the result? About exactly the same as the Racerboy performance. I know right? Surprising! If I had to be specific I would have to say the Racerboy might have a bit more mid range power.

The end result though is fantastic. This combination of detriments has resulted in a bike that sounds like pure heaven when wailed upon. It's not tiring to the ear at speed nor excessive in populated areas. It provides for a mellifluous harmonic experience on the road. I'm loving it. That's why it's my favorite.

Kudo's to DHM for creating a fuel map flash where there are no dips, hesitations, pops, or crackling. Just perfect and spot on. Pulls nice and even through the entire rev range and every gear.
I love this thread thank you for taking the plunge down the rabbit hole. Also DHM is awesome!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 · (Edited)
One of these should have been a Monkey…
It will diversify the enjoyment
I don't know anyone who enjoys mini bikes more than I do, lol. Only one of my pals cares an iota about riding but he lives in an area where a mini bike makes no sense to him. But that changes when he visits and stays for a few days every now and then. We sync wireless communication in our helmets laughing the whole time while we ride through my fleet day and night. This serves me well since it allows me to cycle gas through everything with out feeling like it's a chore. I admit the Mini's are all I've been into since getting the 1st 22 Grom last year.

I've had a 4 speed Monkey since late 2017 and my dealer hasn't got a single 5 speed yet this year. It'll probably turn into a 23. I'm hoping the black color will still be offered. And then there's the Dax, or whatever it's going to be called in the US...

For some reason I prefer riding the Monkey after dark even though I have a Trail kitted out with aftermarket inclement weather lighting that's way superior to see with at night

Edit: The Monkey

101 - 120 of 128 Posts