Honda Grom banner
81 - 100 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
So it has not got any better with mileage or an oil change to remove the factory oil?
have you tried using your heel instead? lightly tap with your heel from 2nd.
I don't have my Grom yet. It will arrive in Feb. but I have been watching Youtube videos...
Something worth trying I guess. lol.

·
Registered
491 Posts
That black looks nice! I wish Honda would have went with the silver on the OG instead of the gold. I'm now jealous of your white and black!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 · (Edited)
Some pics of winter restlessness

I wanted to add a GPS to my daily GROM commuter so I picked up some handle bar clamps that would accommodate a powered GPS mount. While I think putting a GPS on a mini bike is a little nutty, I've found myself in many situations where I wish I was on one of my larger bikes that has one. I've never really used GPS on my bikes primarily as a navigation tool.

I often abscond on little mini adventures throughout my days in between chores as it's difficult to find the time to ride as often as I'd like. So when I have to pick up food at a certain time, or need to appear somewhere for an appointment, I find it extremely convenient to set that destination point in the GPS and then just go ride wherever I want in the whimsical manner I find most enjoyable at the time. By keeping an eye on the running "time to destination" displayed on the GPS, it insures I never venture too far out and arrive late.

Another reason is when I get that dreaded call and need to appear somewhere "RIGHT NOW," I use it to inform them what time I can get there. This comes in handy when I'm in BFE in the middle of no where and haven't a clue the shortest route to take to arrive quickly. You know, when the back roads aren't marked and you're reduced to looking at the sun to figure out what general direction you need to head to get nearer civilization? 😬

I doubt I'll want a GPS on the SP but picked up the appropriate handle bar clamp for it in case I decide to add one down the road

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Plant Vehicle

I began by installing a Ram Ball on the black commuter Grom handle bar mount

Fuel tank Motorcycle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Then I wired it so it wouldn't need to rely on the GPS internal battery power and it would cut power to the mount when the key is turned off so if I were to leave the GPS on the bike for days it wouldn't put a drain on the bike battery trying to re-charge the GPS internal battery pack

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Motorcycle accessories

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
It presents a nice in your face view right under the LCD display. I prefer my GPS mounts centered and avoid mounting them to one side or the other, because I'm weird that way
Light Product Gadget Communication Device Material property

Tire Wheel Bicycle Land vehicle Vehicle

Vehicle Automotive tire Motorcycle Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 · (Edited)
A few other things to note after installing brass swing arm bushings, an Ohlins front suspension replacement along with a Nitron rear, I added some fenda extenda's for inclement weather

Front

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire

and Rear

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive tire

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 · (Edited)
I wanted to keep this bike dull, boring, nothing to see here, and got rid of the glossy black side panels and triangle covers

Vehicle Fuel tank Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

The only bit of glossy black flashiness I will address next will be the outer head light shroud. That will be another SP part I swap in later.

And I'm on the fence with the eye catchy seat, but I will say the fit and finish is exemplary. The OEM seat has more cushiness and more of the blandness I want with this commuter purposed bike but I haven't road tested the new one as yet.

The idea to make this bike less attractive is simply for peace of mind and so I might increase the odds of still finding it parked wherever I've left it. The SP seems to attract a lot of attention and it makes me nervous about leaving it unattended for any length of time. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Quick update

After 650 miles put on the black commuter Grom I went back to the OEM seat. The aftermarket seat I tried felt wooden and squeaks. While it looked nice there were no benefits to speak of. The 22 stock seat is an absolute gem there's no denying it. The first 30 mile ride with the stock seat put back on had me smiling the whole time. Lesson learned.

The GPS mount is working nicely with the solid attachment, no vibration in the display.

The OEM exhaust allows me to go faster than I should with out attracting attention in dense areas, I'm loving it. I've noticed I'm tending to wring out rpm's well into redline a lot more often than the SP which has a much louder exhaust, ...shouldn't be hurting anything.

The Fenda Extenda's are doing their job and lessening cleanups noticeably.

The suspension upgrades are all class. The bike remains aces for my intended purposes.

One of the first things I did was replace the chain with a sealed U-Ring chain for convenience. And install a plug-in gizmo from TST so the brake light does a triple quick flash when brakes are applied for the sake of conspicuousness. Nothing exciting about those changes, but worth it to me.

If anything odd should arise outside of what I've already shared with the SP in this thread as the new commuter accumulates lots of miles - I'll report here.

;)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Great thread and great looking SP!
I agree about being able to wring it out without making a loud noise is one of the biggest advantages of riding the Grom in the populated areas.
A little more power and top speed would be nice but the loudness that comes with more power is not what I want.

·
Registered
2014 Grom
68 Posts
Your Garmin looks not bad at all, but I'd swap it out for a radar detector if it was me. I've eaten 3 speeding tickets on my grom so far :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: SlimJim and Dav101

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Picked up another SP for a Yoshi dual exhaust. I bought it during a bad rain storm. The dealer didn't want to run it in the weather and gave me an option of having gas put in it or not. I took advantage and said "no thanks." After they uncrated it, installed mirrors and battery, I trailered it home and dried it off. To this day it hasn't been turned over yet. When it gets warmer I'm going to get some gas ...and hope it starts - LOL

Dressed it in some parts and plastics over the weekend that I've been hoarding for some time. Pretty sure I'll never be able to justify this one but I just had to have one more piece of 3rd generation "Pocket Candy."

I went in the opposite direction of my black commuter Grom - Racer Boy! :ROFLMAO:

and... picture dump:

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Motorcycle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Vehicle brake

Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Bumper Automotive parking light Automotive exterior

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

Land vehicle Tire Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

Tire Wheel Plant Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Motorcycle

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Plant Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Motorcycle Automotive lighting

I'm so ready for this summer

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Three?! Omg.
I am hoping Honda will make 150-200cc Grom next. Price it $5000. I would still buy one. Wouldn't you?
As an enthusiast, sure. But a factory Grom with a larger displacement might break something that's not broken. What has made the Grom so wildly popular? It's an unassuming small bike that is well known for training new beginner riders and yet still appeals to so many other groups unilaterally across the board. Can you even find a Grom review with out the word "fun" in it? Ever hear the expression "leave them wanting more?"

What I love about the latest generation Grom is it does just enough for such a small bike. Personally, I think increasing the displacement leads to higher expectations. When I'm riding it I'm trying to make the best of what it's got. As an experienced rider, I like to do more with less. That's what makes it fun to me. It would be so bloody easy for me to slap on an intake, cam, and flash but where would that lead me? Might as well get on one of my 300's albeit with out such a small form factor.

Obviously I'm biased though. It's the perfect doodlebug for my riding environment.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I enjoy riding Grom as is also.
Even more so than my previous bikes which were bigger (300, 400, 700 cc).
I embrace 95% of Grom for what it is.
The only thing I wish Grom had is harder and longer pulling 2nd gear.
1st gear is meh. OK. it is the 1st gear so I shift out of it almost as soon as the bike is moving.
3rd and 4th gears pull very good.
I love the 4th gear. That's where I usually live. IIRC, 25-50 mph. I feel good in 4th gear.
I use the 5th gear when I need the top speed of 60+ mph to keep up with the traffic. Or when I know I will be behind the traffic and I won't be going anywhere. Just cruise along 50+ mph.

But the 2nd gear in my previous cars and bikes was where the most acceleration happened. Often up to 60 mph.
The most excellent pull happens in the 2nd gear in all my previous gas powered vehicles.

But on the Grom, 2nd gear feels flat. Out of fume. No gut.
That's probably why I was hoping for a bigger engine like 150cc.

Around the world 125cc is the magical legal cut off for the beginner licensing. And I am not saying Honda should make all Groms with 150cc. Knowing Honda, they will probably make 130cc Grom and call it a Grom Spec R, IF they decided to give it a bigger engine option model. I would still be all over it. And put the deposit down for the first one at the dealer.

I love my 2022 Grom SP so much. I know there is no perfect bike but the Grom is 95% perfect for me. I am just hoping for the last 5%. LOL. I don't plan to do any power mods. I like OEM and 121 mpg ( and it keeps on improving).

·
Registered
104 Posts
As an enthusiast, sure. But a factory Grom with a larger displacement might break something that's not broken. What has made the Grom so wildly popular? It's an unassuming small bike that is well known for training new beginner riders and yet still appeals to so many other groups unilaterally across the board. Can you even find a Grom review with out the word "fun" in it? Ever hear the expression "leave them wanting more?"

What I love about the latest generation Grom is it does just enough for such a small bike. Personally, I think increasing the displacement leads to higher expectations. When I'm riding it I'm trying to make the best of what it's got. As an experienced rider, I like to do more with less. That's what makes it fun to me. It would be so bloody easy for me to slap on an intake, cam, and flash but where would that lead me? Might as well get on one of my 300's albeit with out such a small form factor.

Obviously I'm biased though. It's the perfect doodlebug for my riding environment.
im actually looking forward to some mods to mine

intake
Exhaust
Cam
Tune

looks to be perfect mods to make the bike do whats needed

i thought about a high comp piston but for the extra ifeel the other mods are a perfect idea

but if you think about it
Suzuki make a 125 dohc 6speed with 15hp

now that sounds about perfect to me in such a small bike

look at the stuff ktm does

it would be nice to see a supergrom

more power and decent suspension

lets face it , at production stages , its not that more expensive to have decent suspension

power though the issue is emissions and noise which is wher the manufacturers have to comply but if suzuki can do it then theres nothing stopping honda

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
im actually looking forward to some mods to mine

intake
Exhaust
Cam
Tune

looks to be perfect mods to make the bike do whats needed

i thought about a high comp piston but for the extra ifeel the other mods are a perfect idea

but if you think about it
Suzuki make a 125 dohc 6speed with 15hp

now that sounds about perfect to me in such a small bike

look at the stuff ktm does

it would be nice to see a supergrom

more power and decent suspension

lets face it , at production stages , its not that more expensive to have decent suspension

power though the issue is emissions and noise which is wher the manufacturers have to comply but if suzuki can do it then theres nothing stopping honda
I think those mods would be perfect for getting you just a little bit more.

As I said though for me, I really like the Grom as it is and immensely enjoy trying to do more with less in the area I ride.

Making it do what's needed with stock power is precisely the challenge that keeps me so entertained with it as opposed to pushing it too far towards something it's not. It's taken me years to recognize and avoid the trap of always wanting just a little bit more in that regard with these diminutive bikes which has made me simply appreciate it for what it is.

I looked up that Suzuki and wow! That would be quite a speedy riot!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I think those mods would be perfect for getting you just a little bit more.

As I said though for me, I really like the Grom as it is and immensely enjoy trying to do more with less in the area I ride.
if you look at the dyno graphs

you can see a stock bike just dies midway due to the restrictions

when you look at the graph with the intake , exh , cam

you can see its a nice curve and exactly how it should be without any undue stress

What it does do is make the bike easier to ride with less stress

and in turn a whole lot more enjoyable

and remember you dont have to wind it to redline all the time

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·

you can see its a nice curve and exactly how it should be without any undue stress

I think you're on to something here :unsure: LOL

·
Registered
178 Posts

If power mods had no increase in the noise level, I would have done them already.

81 - 100 of 128 Posts