Honda Grom banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just though I’d drop a line about the things I’ve learned about my new Grom since I bought it.
The Vamos exhaust from Thailand is very good not to loud, inexpensive, nicely made and they give you the pipe for high and low mount.
A Öhlins rear shock from a gen 2 Grom fits the 2022 just fine you will need to make a new bracket for the reservoir but it doesn’t take too long. This is good of you were upgrading and want to keep your old shock or if your looking at buying one secondhand to save some cash.
I used a Mustard Bikes tail tidy and reflector I have had them on most of my bikes and they are great quality easy to fit and look great
I did the whole eBay mirrors indicators it all works so nothing to note
Tyres I went for Mitas super soft’s they are excellent but might not be easy to get everywhere.
I made mine single seat so destrapped the seat. When you do this you will either have to put washers or cut the strap ends of (what I did) to pack it under the locators so the seat locates correctly.
Lastly I installed Monkey rear sets. I did this as I weigh as much as two Thai people so I may as well not double on this bike.
So for this I went to super-bikers.com in Thailand to get all the oem stuff.
If you want to do it cheaply you can just get the rear set brackets (they call them left and right step). You can make do with your own brake pedal but you will do some swearing getting the return spring on. The swing arm pivot also will need adjustment with washers and cutting.
If you want an easier time of it buy a monkey pivot bolt and brake pedal they are so cheap save yourself the heartache and swearing.
You will need three M10 washers to put between the rear break master (2 bolts total of 6 washers) and the new rearset to space it straight. I like the monkey ones as they are the same style as the ones that come on it. You can only put them on with a high mount though
So that’s where I’m at the fork kit is next I bought a FD111 as the 112 wasn’t out but being 87kgs I figure I’m at max preload so it doesn’t matter I’ll update when I have completed that
Induction might be next
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Plant
Automotive lighting Tire Automotive tire Vehicle brake Motorcycle
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are the monkey rear sets lower and more back than stock do you happen to know ?

Sweet build otherwise ! Mitas super soft though ? you're gonna go through them in no time, please report back your mileage :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The monkey rear sets don’t change the positioning It’s more an aesthetic thing giving the bike a rider only look.

·
Registered
2014 Red Grom
169 Posts
I've heard the Monkey rear sets are lighter as well ? I'll be following your thread. It's great seeing how Gen 3 is getting modified and personalized by you and others. I plan on getting a 2022 Grom in the future. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are about half the weight or not eating an hamburger 🤣🤣. It liked how they are the same shape just without the pillion pegs.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Great looking Grom! Thanks for sharing all the details of your Grom build. I"d love to see the back end of the bike showing how the exhaust looks! Fantastic job!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Would the 2022 Grom rear sets fit the Monkey?
They look the same as the Gen1
I would purchase the following bits
Monkey left and right step (that’s apparently what Honda call it)
Monkey swing arm bolt (it’s shorter and save you stuffing arround) for an extra dollar you can get a new bolt too.
Monkey rear brake pedal ( it’s a different shape and means you don’t have to shim the brake master)
I would buy them from www.super-bikers.com
They are awesome for all Honda parts and send express DHL so you will get them faster and cheaper than a local Honda dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just to clarify. I have a 2019 Monkey. And I want to put on the 2022 Grom Rear sets because I’m actually building a side car which mounts in the passenger peg location. And the new 2022 Grom rear sets look way better than the OG or the SF ones. What extra parts do you think I would need. A
They look the same as the Gen1
I would purchase the following bits
Monkey left and right step (that’s apparently what Honda call it)
Monkey swing arm bolt (it’s shorter and save you stuffing arround) for an extra dollar you can get a new bolt too.
Monkey rear brake pedal ( it’s a different shape and means you don’t have to shim the brake master)
I would buy them from www.super-bikers.com
They are awesome for all Honda parts and send express DHL so you will get them faster and cheaper than a local Honda dealer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts