163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Monkey Father made me a kit for the sp:

149cc jug/ piston / cam
race head with big valves
bigger intake manifold and throttle body

aracer with bigger injector

Got it installed and tuned. Runs great ! enjoying the power - heading to GMR tomorrow

·
Registered
2020 Honda Monkey and others
1,004 Posts
What performance gains are you seeing?

MO Power Performance is going to be doing stroker kits that get 162cc I believe.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Is it tuned rich to stay cool?

What about crankcase venting?

If I get another Monkey with the new engine I'm not sure I want to do anything too crazy. I want it able to handle running in the sand or running hours on the open road.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
overheated the bitch going up grr 300f .... let it cool back down seem to be fine, but need oil cooler asap
Is it tuned rich to stay cool?

What about crankcase venting?

If I get another Monkey with the new engine I'm not sure I want to do anything too crazy. I want it able to handle running in the sand or running hours on the open road.
generally if it to lean that will make run hot, and no it set to be 13.3 - 12.8 on wot

also oil catch can will be added eventually

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Even at 12.8 mine ran too hot(the 181 4V ported head beast). There is a table around here where you probably want to bring it down to 12.2:1 at full throttle at higher rpm. Keep it cool and safe.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just installed otb chain adjusters and 16t front sprocket. also installed asv levers (gold )

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oil cooler comes Monday, then we try again for quality test ... so far am happy with the performance of the kit.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
also just bought moto bros cutch plate and 60% SPRINGS ... now just need hd oil pump

·
Registered
120 Posts
smooth operation of the both the clutch and throttle.
I wonder if the SP has better stock plates. My 186 kit slipped my clutch after 6k no matter the throttle when it was first installed, lol. 4th gear i could slip it at 3k rpm with like 10% throttle 🤣 probably just more torque. Im curious, since the sp is a longer stroke... wouldnt that make it not like to rev as high? Cant wait for someone to make a 4 valve for the sp, very curious. Hows the 149 with the big valve feel versus your other bikes?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wonder if the SP has better stock plates. My 186 kit slipped my clutch after 6k no matter the throttle when it was first installed, lol. 4th gear i could slip it at 3k rpm with like 10% throttle 🤣 probably just more torque. Im curious, since the sp is a longer stroke... wouldnt that make it not like to rev as high? Cant wait for someone to make a 4 valve for the sp, very curious. Hows the 149 with the big valve feel versus your other bikes?
I also have a couple other minis:
One being 186cc with race head :

it feels very similar to the one 86 with slightly less acceleration on the top end one under load

1 - 14 of 14 Posts