Honda Grom banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Honda Monkey
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m still on my first tank of gas in my 21Monkey. What fuel is everyone else running?
In all my lawn equipment and (if I had a boat) I run ethanol free gas. Would there be a benefit or negative to running ethanol gas in the monkey?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just do premium. It's funny when you go inside to pay for gas and you tell the clerk "put $3 on #7" and they give you a weird look thinking "that's it?!"
I know its literally pennies on a gallon purchase, but there is no need to run premium in a Monkey, unless you have a big bore high compression convesion. Higher octane only has to do with compression combustion (higher octane, higher compression before ignition). 87 octane is just fine for stock motors.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Monkey and others
1,003 Posts
You gain power and efficiency running 87 versus 91+ octane. There isn't enough performance stock to take advantage of high octane.

Plus, tanks so small and fuel hoses sharing octanes at gas pumps you most likely won't get full high octane fills anyway.

·
Registered
135 Posts
You have to drive 40 miles to get to a station that sells ethanol free gas here, so I ran 87 until I had the bike tuned. Now 93 is all it gets as temps are higher and timing is advanced with the tune. If I could run ethanol free 93 I'd do that.

On a stock bike, 87 is all you need. Ethanol free if you can get it. As others have said, the stock tune doesn't take advantage of higher octane, so there is really no reason to run it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You have to drive 40 miles to get to a station that sells ethanol free gas here, so I ran 87 until I had the bike tuned. Now 93 is all it gets as temps are higher and timing is advanced with the tune. If I could run ethanol free 93 I'd do that.

On a stock bike, 87 is all you need. Ethanol free if you can get it. As others have said, the stock tune doesn't take advantage of higher octane, so there is really no reason to run it.
You have stations that pump ethanol free??? Must be nice. Where's that?

·
Registered
2020 Honda Monkey
62 Posts
Haven't seen any ethanol free here in Eastern CT/ RI, would be nice. I run premium now, but I don't really fill up at stations because they share lines as stated here. Stock motor just run 87, no worries about it

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yup, pure-gas.org is where I find ethanol free gas.

E85 can be great if you have the fueling system and tuning to take advantage of it and ethanol free gas is obviously great, but both are rare around here. Crappy E10 is everywhere.

·
Registered
47 Posts
For what its worth I ran the bike on 95ron from an Irish owned fuel station (so probably made from mashed turnips) to a town 75 miles away.
The tank was near empty so I filled it with Shell VPower higher octane stuff for the journey back to see if it made a difference.
Short answer was yes. Hit just over 60 on the clock for the first time having only managed 56 on the way down.
The better fuel makes a noticeable difference. Smoother as well and no, I'm not imagining it😇

·
Registered
101 Posts
Unless the last person to get gas got premium, I think almost all the gas that goes into the tank will be regular.
From tank to pump to filter and hose has to flow before you get what is selected.
Most I ever get is about 1 gallon and most of it was in the hose and filter inside the pump!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Not quite following that one. Its different pumps for different fuel here.
That’s like saying I could have a tank full of diesel.
Most pumps here let you select between 3 different grades of fuel. So whatever the guy before you selected could still be in the hose. Diesel and Ethanol-free are at separate pumps so that can get mixed.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yes, here in NJ, there are 4 tanks in the ground, regular, plus, premium and diesel.
One pump, two hoses, one for all three grades of gas, one for diesel.
When you pump gas, it come from the tank in the ground, to the pump, through a filter, the hose.
I suspect most of a gallon goes through before you get what was selected out of the nozzle.
On something that takes 5 gallons no big deal, but when you get .8 gallon, you will not get much premium...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts