Honda Grom banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
High everyone, Has anyone figured out a way to preload or stiffen up the front forks without taking the whole fork apart or replacing the springs. Just would like to have the front a little stiffer.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Monkey and others
968 Posts
You could try adding some fork oil to each leg to remove some of the air pocket and start damping earlier.

Don't go too crazy with this.

I helped a Monkey owner last year do heavier springs and heavier oil and he loves the outcome and it was cheap since I did the labor.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Monkey and others
968 Posts
Thank You Chillis I will try the oil first any idea how much would be a good place to start? What weight would be good to add?
Stock is light weight oil, I believe 10 wt.

If you can measure out 30ml, I'd add 30 ml to each leg. No matter the weight it won't affect overall viscosity much so if you put in 30 or 20 wt it won't make as much difference as the extra distance of damping plus reduced air pocket in the fork giving a bit of additional springiness to the function of the fork.

If it were me I'd add 20 wt. If it weren't available I'd go with 10 or 30 knowing the oil weight won't have as much influence.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stock is light weight oil, I believe 10 wt.

If you can measure out 30ml, I'd add 30 ml to each leg. No matter the weight it won't affect overall viscosity much so if you put in 30 or 20 wt it won't make as much difference as the extra distance of damping plus reduced air pocket in the fork giving a bit of additional springiness to the function of the fork.

If it were me I'd add 20 wt. If it weren't available I'd go with 10 or 30 knowing the oil weight won't have as much influence.
Oh that sounds good to me I am going to give it a try. Just want you to know I always appreciate all your help. Have a great day Chillis!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Same internals as the SF Grom..... This has help many get a stiffer/better feeling front end for the price of 30w oil alone.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Same internals as the SF Grom..... This has help many get a stiffer/better feeling front end for the price of 30w oil alone.

Ok Thank You so much that makes total sense I am going to give that a try for sure!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts