Honda Grom banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda Grom
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought another motorcycle. It is a 2022 Honda Cb300r. I've only had it a couple of weeks and it currently has zero mods.

First impressions
When getting on the bike it just feels more high quality than the Grom. It obviously goes faster than the Grom. GPS verified the Grom has gotten up to 68 mph before it hit the rev limiter. The CB300R has gotten up to 90 mph not gps verified it could of went faster, but I didn't want to take anymore risks (I was running out of room on the closed course I was driving.)
The gas mileage on the CB300R is garbage compared to the Grom.
I can't believe I'm saying this, but the CB300R is actually easier to do a wheelie.
My grom has 60% stiffer clutch springs and I'm running 15/36 sprockets. At one point I was running 14/37 on the Grom and the CB300R is still easier to wheelie. Maybe I just suck at wheelies.

As far as mods. Like I said the CB300R has zero right now. But just looking for parts it is easier to find parts for the Grom. The only mods I plan for the CB300R are a windscreen and some type of fender eliminator, and maybe an integrated tail light.

Things I dislike about the CB300R is at 7000 rpms a light flashes on your dash. In 6th gear this happens at around 64 mph. My Grom hits 7000 rpms at 50 mph. I could increase the size front sprocket, but then I would have to install a speedo healer (I have one on my Grom).
I also dislike the gear spacing on the bike. 1st gear is an absolute crawl gear. The jump to second you feel like you are almost going to kill the bike. Then the spacing between 2 to 3, 3 to 4, 4 to 5, and 5 to 6 are too close.

With all of this said I don't hate the CB300R it is a fun bike. I bought it so I could go on longer trips within the US. All on back roads no interstates. It is capable I just don't like high rpms for hours on end.

At the end of the day if I had to keep one bike and get rid of the other. I would keep the Grom.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Grom
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Longer trips are fun.
Congrats on the new bike!
I actually did what seemed like an all day (a longer trip) run with a group of other mini motos. Never again. Of course a few people showed up with bigger bikes. I was like great I know how this is gonna play out.
It was a hilly route we took. So on the up hills I was catching people. I have a 36 tooth rear sprocket, but on the downhills I was getting blown away. I was in the very back of the pack and having difficulties keeping up. I hate having my bike redlined for hours on end. When I got home my chain was stretched and this was an aftermarket chain. I immediately changed my oil. This group ride probable took thousands of miles off the life of my bike.
I usually cruise around at 45 mph if people don't like it they can pass me.

The CB300R will be more practical for longer trips let's say Nebraska to Key West, FL.
But for an extremely long trip let's Prudhoe Bay to Ushuaia or Lisbon to Vladivostok (I have no desire to do either of these trips by the way). I can't believe I'm saying this I would rather have the Grom.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don’t know why 4 out of 5 comments so far mention the gear indicator like it matters. A Grom really doesn’t need a gear indicator ever. On a bigger bike where 4th or 5th gear are almost the same rpm at low speed I can see it, but even then it seems kind of pointless. If you need more power, shift down. If you want lower cruising rpm, shift up. I can’t understand a gear indicator being the deciding factor for what bike to buy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don’t know why 4 out of 5 comments so far mention the gear indicator like it matters. A Grom really doesn’t need a gear indicator ever. On a bigger bike where 4th or 5th gear are almost the same rpm at low speed I can see it, but even then it seems kind of pointless. If you need more power, shift down. If you want lower cruising rpm, shift up. I can’t understand a gear indicator being the deciding factor for what bike to buy.
I find the gear indicator useful when not actually accelerating of decelerating but planning ahead. I agree that its not necessary otherwise. The standard Grom hasn't got any power to spare so maintaining momentum by anticipating gradients keeps it nicely on the boil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts