Honda Grom banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres my winter project that i will be documenting here for all to see. I started with a fully stunted 2018 SF grom and tore it down. 2020 crf110 frame with grom suspension, engine, and electronics is my goal. I want my engine to rev really fast and have 14/36 gearing. The conversion will weigh sub 200lbs which will better suit the grom suspension. I stole this idea straight from Cameron Jones and hes way ahead of me on this build if you wanna see, I'll post a pic of his below.

First thing I did was take the crf frame to a machine shop to have the steering neck bores out to fit the grom tapered steering stem bearings. Now the grom front end bolts right on to the crf frame.

Now I'm waiting on some 2012 cbr600rr lowering links to copy Cameron jones idea pictured here for a shock mount relocation. Adjustable heim joints will be used for shock adjustability. A hole drilled through the frame is needed, not too invasive imo.

After that I can mount the swing arm and add the correct spacers so that the wheels are perfectly aligned.

Then I can mount the engine. The engine tabs need to be shaved down a bit and spaced so that the front and rear sprockets correctly align.
....This is the grom fuel pump and crf fuel tank, very close fit, I will probably make an adapter plate to mate the two together...

Next I need to fabricate a bracket for the top mount.

Next install wirimg harness

Install battery pan

Wiring for headlights and tail lights.

·
Registered
66 Posts
That looks great! You'll be one of the very few with this CRF Grom configuration. Obviously, you know how to weld, fabricate brackets and possibly machine, as well... kudos to you..

Your first post... welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The grom rear shock is an abomination. Im thinking this 60 dollar ebay shock is better then the oem since it has more travel and adjustability. What you guys think?
suspension geometry is adjustable with the shock relocation bracket so shock size doesnt matter.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Hot damn that adjustable shock mount is the absolute TITS

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is the frame swap just for the aluminum weight savings or are there more benefits?
Its mostly just for looks, ive been huge into pitbikes and always wanted one that is street capable so I decided to build one. The crf frame is significantly lighter then the grom frame, probale weaker too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey man looks awesome. just picked up a wrecked grom that needs a new frame and keen to try this. you said the engine mounts needed to be cut down? is that on the frame or motor? if its the motor do you see any other way around it, as dont want to chop the motor up to badly? also do you have any plans for the headlight that'll keep that low profile look? cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey man looks awesome. just picked up a wrecked grom that needs a new frame and keen to try this. you said the engine mounts needed to be cut down? is that on the frame or motor? if its the motor do you see any other way around it, as dont want to chop the motor up to badly? also do you have any plans for the headlight that'll keep that low profile look? cheers
It takes quite a bit if grinding, fabrication, and machine work to get it to work. Grinding on the motor needed too. I'm going to put small led light bars on it. Couldnt find a good looking headlight for it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts