Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brought the bike home last week. Only put 10 miles on it due to rain & snow. I typically don’t leave my bikes in stock form.

1st photo - Stock, on the lift just before removing the exhaust.
2nd - Yoshimura full exhaust (really impressed with the quality & ease of installation)

Spark arrestor will be installed also. Got a seat and fender down kit coming. Will probably make a rear fender delete.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seat and fender down kit are from Kitaco.

BTW, noticed your thread and videos; nice work :icon_thumright:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

The Kitaco seat and fender down kit arrived.
The fender kit looks good, easy to install and is very sturdy. I wish the front of the fender didn’t angle up as much as it does. Might modify the brackets in the future.
The seat fits well and looks really cool, but it just doesn’t fit me. So, I’ll likely put it up for sale.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The MNNTHBX intake arrived. Installation was straight forward. I did have to open the bracket holes to allow the bolts to go thru (not much, I think the powder coat may have been the culprit). Other than that; went together well. Also went with the optional Outwears prefilter.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Better shot of the air filter with the Outwears on.
Sent the ECU to Cameron Jones Racing for a reflash.

F6F3C718-F9E2-4E65-8D69-EE731AD91071.jpeg

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got the ECU back from CJR, but will need to wait for warmer weather.
Short video

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Installed an LED brake light strobe.

Here’s looking up, under the rear fender with the plastic cover removed. Decided to install connectors instead of just butt connectors. This way if I want to go back to stock or replace the strobe; it’s just a matter of unplugging & plugging the connectors. No photo, but everything fits nicely under the cover.
Price for the GS100A controller was $3.58 (eBay)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bought a Takegawa clutch cover. They only come in black. Won’t be installing it soon, but thought it needed to be closer in color to the rest of the engine.

Here’s what came in the package.

Started out by removing various plugs, caps and the oil level window. Taped what couldn’t be plugged and taped the back side with duct tape.

Turned down the pressure in the cabinet and scuffed up the powder coat finish.

Here’s the paint I used.

After paint & reassembly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Decided to replace the bolts that hold the seat in place. Nothing new, others have done this also. Bought the knobs from eBay (8mm x 1.25mm threads, threads were 70mm long before cutting them down to fit). Aluminum spacer is 3/4” OD, center drilled to 5/16”.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Installed the Takegawa clutch cover.
820BD4D8-E3D9-4985-BBB2-EF700A711EE5.jpeg

Wasn’t without a couple of modifications. Rear brake arm hit the cover. Had to fab a spacer for the swingarm bolt, got a longer bolt for the footpeg bracket and machined the swingarm bolt.

BB8BF8AF-86D5-4F86-8370-AA3806EF07C0.jpeg

164B852E-DED2-4360-9652-10B6E740DE62.jpeg

Installed a KOSO oil pump, KOSO clutch spring perch and EBC springs.
03EE79FB-01D4-444D-879D-3120AF2D5828.jpeg

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm new to the forum. What is the advantage of the new cover?
The main advantage is having a cartridge type oil filter versus the stock centrifugal type. Another advantage is not having to remove the clutch cover to clean out the stock filter. I think the cartridge filter does a better job of keeping the oil clean.
I was originally going to buy a Kitaco brand cover, but they were out of stock and was offered a good deal on the Takegawa. Back then; I was told it would bolt on, no modifications needed. Today; they don’t recommend it for the Monkey.
If you’re thinking of racing; the Takegawa cover would be a good choice because it allows you access to the clutch without removing the entire cover.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I like the idea of putting on a new cover to use a cartridge filter. About how many miles/hours can you get on those cartridges before needing to change one?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I like the idea of putting on a new cover to use a cartridge filter. About how many miles/hours can you get on those cartridges before needing to change one?
Did this at 400 miles. I like changing the oil and filter more often than the factory guidelines.The oil filter should easily go the recommended 4000 miles.
Considering the cost of quart of oil and an oil filter; would be wise change them more frequently (IMO).

Photo of oil filter (Takewaga & Kitaco)
32468A55-D9F9-478B-8B1C-8C418EEC84A7.jpeg

·
Registered
832 Posts
I change my oil every 1,000 miles, change the filter every 2,000 miles.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts