Honda Grom banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting a Takegawa SP exhaust for my Monkey. It keeps the stock look, which I like.
My question is:
I have done an air intake model, will adding the exhaust mod require re-chipping-or am I OK without doing that?
Thanks in advance.
Shawn

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am thinking about getting a Takegawa SP exhaust for my Monkey. It keeps the stock look, which I like.
My question is:
I have done an air intake model, will adding the exhaust mod require re-chipping-or am I OK without doing that?
Thanks in advance.
Shawn
I bought the same SP exhaust from Webike. Everything I have read indicates making both modifications will benefit from a re-flash of the ECU. This link has a good explanation: https://www.cameronjonesracing.com/ecu-flashing

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have a sp takegawa exhaust and it definitely added some HP up top and a tiny bit in the low end. it adds a distinctive growl to the exhaust but it's still very quiet. I did this mostly for ground clearance and it works great for that!

I am looking to sell it if your interested I just want something louder.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It won't explode without it, but a tuner will make far more power, and make it more reliable as well.
So, I have an intake mod and if I add The SP mod, I should re-map...
Is that easy and what is the price to do that?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I highly recommend Cameron Jones Racing. Not only will the reflash keep you from running lean but it will also make extra power. Email him, sometimes he runs discounts on the reflash if you buy the exhaust through him.

·
Registered
240 Posts
You can run the takegawa sp without a remap it runs absolutely fine and won't be that lean. If you add a AIRFILTER or a shorty exhaust or the ones with a sportvike can neckec down to fit a grom they run waaay leaner.

I did a remap and it did not increase my top speed and the power feels the same as before. It does run a tiny bit crisper.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks
I highly recommend Cameron Jones Racing. Not only will the reflash keep you from running lean but it will also make extra power. Email him, sometimes he runs discounts on the reflash if you buy the exhaust through him.
You can run the takegawa sp without a remap it runs absolutely fine and won't be that lean. If you add a AIRFILTER or a shorty exhaust or the ones with a sportvike can neckec down to fit a grom they run waaay leaner.

I did a remap and it did not increase my top speed and the power feels the same as before. It does run a tiny bit crisper.
I have the intake mod. I've been told that doing the exhaust mod in addition, would require a re-map...?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Here is an interesting article to read, I don't know how reliable the source is. Could be Gold, might be lead.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Thanks

I have the intake mod. I've been told that doing the exhaust mod in addition, would require a re-map...?
Intake mod? What is that? I ran some vents on my intake lid and the takegawa exhaust and it ran fine nothing detrimental. Yes a little more power was had somewhere after a reflash but we're talking less than a HP. The takegawa sp exhaust is not like a mnthbx exhaust it's much more mild. The bike ran fine without a flash.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Took off the clunky stockairbix and ran an aftermarket intake as see in my pic.
Intake mod? What is that? I ran some vents on my intake lid and the takegawa exhaust and it ran fine nothing detrimental. Yes a little more power was had somewhere after a reflash but we're talking less than a HP. The takegawa sp exhaust is not like a mnthbx exhaust it's much more mild. The bike ran fine without a flash.

·
Registered
240 Posts
You can run this style of exhaust with an intake to no I'll effect. You can run it this way until you reflash. I did and it was fine. I reflashed when i added a TB cam. If you do a more straight through exhaust with a large diameter then a reflash is necessary but the takegawa exhaust is made for the Japan cert and is quiet, stock looking and adds some power. It gives alot of ground clearance too.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You can run this style of exhaust with an intake to no I'll effect. You can run it this way until you reflash. I did and it was fine. I reflashed when i added a TB cam. If you do a more straight through exhaust with a large diameter then a reflash is necessary but the takegawa exhaust is made for the Japan cert and is quiet, stock looking and adds some power. It gives alot of ground clearance too.
Good to know, for I'm using the Takegawa SP exhaust with no other engine modifications. Appreciate the info.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I reflashed when i added a TB cam.
It sounds like you are running the same setup I plan to run: SP Takegawa, modified stock airbox/filter, and TB cam. I saw you mentioned the reflash with the SP Takegawa and intake did not make much of a difference. I see the cam is where big gains come in, though that is always paired with a more open exhaust and intake. Did you feel any gains with the cam?

·
Registered
240 Posts
It sounds like you are running the same setup I plan to run: SP Takegawa, modified stock airbox/filter, and TB cam. I saw you mentioned the reflash with the SP Takegawa and intake did not make much of a difference. I see the cam is where big gains come in, though that is always paired with a more open exhaust and intake. Did you feel any gains with the cam?

The cam helped to reach max rpm/redline the engine would not do that before even with exhaust and intake vents. There is performance gained with every mod but it's marginal. I live in a hilly area so all these mods help but don't set the world on fire. I think the biggest gains would be head porting and a high comp piston. I had a 235cc finbro from and it was another animal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts