Honda Grom banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hey yall, just changed my oil because I wanted a different blend. Just me but I've put only 244 miles on it so far and i just warmed it up for about 10-15 minutes after the oil change and then I noticed it was leaking. So I took it out on a short ride and it's still leaking quite a bit. It is 34 degrees out here in Omaha today, so if that has anything to do with it but why is it leaking? Should I go get it checked?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Looks like condensation from the exhaust to me, not oil. My '14 has a water drain on the factory muffler and it does the same thing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like condensation from the exhaust to me, not oil. My '14 has a water drain on the factory muffler and it does the same thing.
I mean it makes sense, definitely! I’m checking the liquid out and it looks like oil. Definitely not water lol but could oil even get down in the exhaust?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
I mean it makes sense, definitely! I’m checking the liquid out and it looks like oil. Definitely not water lol but could oil even get down in the exhaust?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hard to tell without feeling it, but water could possibly look darker because of carbon. How much oil did you replace? Take the side cover off? Check your level and everything you removed (including your drain plug torque/washer) and take it in to the dealer since its under warranty. If it is oil for sure that should not be happening. Worn valve seals, rings, etc not likely on a bike that new.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
that looks exactly like an exhaust drain and looks like water to me.

Whats it taste like? Whats it smell like?
Is it flammable? Will it burn if you take a torch to it?

·
Registered
8,407 Posts
Looks like condensation to me from hot air in the exhaust system meeting up with cold air that are being caught by the CAT and stuff, usually happens in states or countries that have a lot of moisture in the air or places that have cold climate.

I would also check the tightness of the drain plug nut and see if you have any oil around it, also if you had to drop the exhaust system to change the oil the connection points where the exhaust system might be a little loose causing it to draw in some cold air which cause condensation.

What oil did you change too, I know OEM oil is Honda 10-40 dino oil and usually after about a 1K-2K miles some people switch to full synthetic oil

Good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts