Honda Grom banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Inline spark and compression lever? Nice
Ha. Don't know if you're being sarcastic, but Honda had them check the spark, and while they had the covers off for the valves he said he checked to be sure the "compression lever" was not sticking. It was not. I asked if he did a compression and leak out test. He has not yet.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I was being sarcastic, the dealer may have checked the ignition and checked the decompression assembly on the camshaft but if the dealer used the exact terms "inline spark" and "compression lever" I think you should find another dealer

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
If the bike starts just fine and runs reliably with throttle applied, only dies at idle I would be looking toward a mixture problem- idle air screw, fuel pump pressure/voltage, injector, vacuum leak, etc.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I was being sarcastic, the dealer may have checked the ignition and checked the decompression assembly on the camshaft but if the dealer used the exact terms "inline spark" and "compression lever" I think you should find another dealer
Thatd be my guess on the 'compression lever' too. Maybe they used the term inline spark as they used an inline tester? Sure, thats the proper way to do it, but pulling it out and holding it on the block works just as well. (or get a pulse tachometer https://www.amazon.com/Oppama-Pulse-Engine-Tachometer-PET-1000R/dp/B008G47NHU, super nice for checking speed, as well as spark)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Update: (hard to say with a straight face). Dealer called. They changed the spark plug "just to eliminate it", and it's fixed. Night and day per the dealer. Idling smooth, not stumbling, not dying. I will go see. He speculates that the loose charcoal canister hose--for an unknown period of time--caused it to run lean, and a plug can be lean burned.

All dealer criticisms aside (the tech is an older, long time guy who seems to have a good head) some of the humor on this thread could be my mis-quoting them on terms they've used. CPA, not a mechanic here....

Anyway, finding a ride to the dealer now to (hopefully) find a changed bike.

Should I be concerned that they monkeyed with my valve adjustment to check the "decompression lever" or whatever and then set valves back? Is that pretty easy to get right? How often would the valves likely need to be adjusted anyway on this bike? I'm anal, and would have preferred no covers have been taken off, but oh well.....

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Should I be concerned that they monkeyed with my valve adjustment to check the "decompression lever" or whatever and then set valves back? Is that pretty easy to get right? How often would the valves likely need to be adjusted anyway on this bike? I'm anal, and would have preferred no covers have been taken off, but oh well.....
Don't sweat it. I'm anal too, but I've slowly learned to not worry about the little things too much. If your bike is running good, then don't worry about it.

I'm no mechanic in any sense of the word, but a long time ago I changed the plugs on my F4i. Bike was running fine, but I had a lot of miles on it and figured I'd changed them. Bike wouldn't run after that. Couldn't figure it out. It was a biatch to get to the center plugs, so I thought maybe I messed up. Put it in the truck and took it to a mechanic buddy. Told him everything I did, which was literally change the plugs. He put the old plugs back in and it ran fine again. So I took my new plugs back and traded them for another set. Bike ran like a champ. I just got bad plugs somehow someway. I have no idea how or what, but something about 1 or more wouldn't let my bike run.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Don't sweat it. I'm anal too, but I've slowly learned to not worry about the little things too much. If your bike is running good, then don't worry about it.

I'm no mechanic in any sense of the word, but a long time ago I changed the plugs on my F4i. Bike was running fine, but I had a lot of miles on it and figured I'd changed them. Bike wouldn't run after that. Couldn't figure it out. It was a biatch to get to the center plugs, so I thought maybe I messed up. Put it in the truck and took it to a mechanic buddy. Told him everything I did, which was literally change the plugs. He put the old plugs back in and it ran fine again. So I took my new plugs back and traded them for another set. Bike ran like a champ. I just got bad plugs somehow someway. I have no idea how or what, but something about 1 or more wouldn't let my bike run.
i hope I didn't cause any other damage by running with that unattached hose...

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I've seen a few plugs that looked fine and would spark great when taken out and grounded on the head- but would cause the bike to run poorly. That being said it was a few (like two or three) out of the hundreds of plugs I've changed over the years. Not a super common problem, but hey it is cheap to replace and as long as it is fixed that's all that matters.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Result: Yep, if what they tell me is all true, it was the spark plug. Runs like a champ now--like when (brand) new. Holds idle at 1750, launches like an Arizona tortoise, accelerates like a Ford Fiesta, and tops out like a Model T. Back to where it belongs and I'm happy. On to get a Yoshi exhaust and make the preceding sound very cool....

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
whats odd is it just went bad. that's extremely unusual. Glad it worked out. Ive seen new ones bad out of box but never like that. Learned something . good deal.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
whats odd is it just went bad. that's extremely unusual. Glad it worked out. Ive seen new ones bad out of box but never like that. Learned something . good deal.
Theory is the disconnected hose, which could have been disconnected for first 120 miles (not sure), could have caused a lean condition which burned the plug. Oh well, running like a champ now.....

·
Registered
200 Posts
Bringing this back from the dead - same issues on my bike as of today. 2018 with a 181 NEO kit. Ran fine on my way to work, then during start-up, I think I heard a backfire through the throttle. Guessing I probably damaged the spark plug as the symptoms are identical - only runs with the throttle cracked above 15%, below that, no power and dies quickly. Will check the plug tomorrow.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Spark plug had loosened itself finger tight (surprisingly) and the cylinder looked flooded (less surprisingly). I also turned the NEO181 plug boot in one additional turn into the plug cable.

Unfortunately I also left my key at home and the bike is sitting in my office at work... will report back tomorrow.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts