Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2017 Grom--Dying Every Time I Let Off Throttle.....WTF? (STILL NOT FIXED!!)

Stock 2017 Grom. 120 Miles. Was out in 95 degree ambient temps. Boulevard riding at 45 mph. Pull clutch in and it stumbles and dies few seconds later. Didn't happen for couple stops, then happens at every stop. Happens in neutral or with the clutch pulled in. Had to ride home through 15 stops without using front brake so I could keep throttle above idle to keep it running.

It normally idled around 2K, or maybe 1 digital bar below.

I did put .97 gallon of fresh 87 octane in about 25 miles ago. Filled up at a reputable QuickTrip market, which is a high volume gasoline dealer.

Have already called dealer and will take it in.

Any ideas on things to check?

Thanks.

EDIT: I has posted below that reconnecting the charcoal canister hose fixed it since I restarted the bike and it ran fine. But this morning on the way to work, again, after about 15 minutes of riding when the bike was very warm it started dying at every stop. The hose is still connected and must have been a coincidence.... Anyone else have any ideas?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Figured it out. What is this hose, what does it do, and why the actual f#@k would it have come undone? If grandma can get $200K from McDonalds for hot coffee, can I get, say, $5,000 from Honda?!........:cool:

Before:

After my superb CPA mechanical skill:

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
It goes to your charcoal canister. Most guys on here throw it away and block that line off as soon as they can anyway. It's odd that it would just come loose. Maybe something from the road hit it just right or a kid tugged on it on the showroom floor.

·
Registered
8,286 Posts
The dealer's MC mechanic might not have done a full safety check and connection check of the grom before the owner picked it up, sometimes those hose shake loose or was never secured on until you ride the grom.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still not fixed!! After about 15 minutes of riding to work this morning, it started dying on me at every stop. I pulled over, and the hose is still connected and appears well clamped. I have something else going on. Will take it to the dealer (45 minutes away--THAT will be fun). Anyone have any other ideas?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At dealer now. Fuel flush Negative fix. ECU reset. Negative fix. Well, he "reset ECU" by disconnecting battery negative and turning key on. Says same thing as using plug under seat, which is really for resetting FI and other stuff. Don't know if right or not.

He called Honda. No real history like this on 2017s, but Honda said tight intake valve could be cause, so letting bike cool for valve check. Will report back.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
At dealer now. Fuel flush Negative fix. ECU reset. Negative fix. Well, he "reset ECU" by disconnecting battery negative and turning key on. Says same thing as using plug under seat, which is really for resetting FI and other stuff. Don't know if right or not.

He called Honda. No real history like this on 2017s, but Honda said tight intake valve could be cause, so letting bike cool for valve check. Will report back.
hes full of shit on the ecu reset. the correct procedure teaches the ecu where the 0%throttle and 100% throttle is.
might be valve related but seriously doubt it. id find another technician.

·
Registered
683 Posts
On mobile using the forum app on iOS, links to threads on the forum do not work correctly -- they bring up a different thread. Old issue, but the forum mods don't care, or are unable to get this fixed as it's an old issue that has been reported repeatedly.

·
Registered
334 Posts
The dealer should had fix this already, they cant find the problem???

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Update: Dealer flushed the fuel, checked the inline spark, checked the valve adjustment, checked the "compression lever", and finally reset the ECM according to procedure. The bike is getting progressively worse. At last test ride the bike would die when left to idle, a few seconds after closing throttle. Stumble and die.

I had them document the symptoms and every step taken in a service ticket for today.

I left the bike with the dealer. I've never left a bike with a dealer. Honda is spoon feeding steps to the dealer. Tomorrow they will hook up to the DCT and capture a file with the bike running. I suspect the bike will idle fine while cold and then develop the problem as it warms. The dealer will send the file to Honda to compare with other stock bikes.

I consider this a serious safety issue, which thereby limits the visits to one and days inoperable to 30 per Texas lemon law. How far do I need to let the dealer and Honda take the experimentation before getting demanding?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts