Honda Grom banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and girls, just bought a new 2015 Grom (my first bike!) and got a question about the behavior of it (all stock).

I've noticed at idle it's lights dim very low unless you rev it, in which case they then light back up very brightly before dimming again. It also seems to sputter and almost die at idle unless I give it some gas. Then late last night when I took it out for the first time after dark, I found that when coasting to a stop at a light the headlights completely died until I reved it back to life.
:confusion:

This seems super unsafe. I checked the battery and its reading 12.2v and a full charge. Rides fine as long as your giving it throttle and gas. Only thing I notice is a whine or a click behind the display whenever I turn on the turn signals or change the lights from HI to LOW. It's audible over the stock exhaust.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
7 Posts
It shouldn't be dropping out like that. With smaller displacement bikes you do get the dimming lights. The clicks you're hearing are the relays working. Some modern small engined petrol cars will do the same. Think indicator 'clicks'.

I'd get the idle RPM checked.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
unless its been converted to DC headlight wiring, (which i doubt), the headlight is powered by an AC lighting coil on the motor. motor runs, the headlight runs. has *zero* to do with the battery beleive it or not. it does however sound like your idle may be too low. theres a screw to adjust that on the throttle body, on the LH side.

·
Registered
421 Posts
First bike, just bought it... Bring it back for warranty repairs.

Where does yours idle? Mine sits at like 1500 I believe.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
just to confirm., thats about where mine sits. from 1350-1600

might need to run in a bit and give fuel injection time to adjust.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Hey guys and girls, just bought a new 2015 Grom (my first bike!) and got a question about the behavior of it (all stock).

I've noticed at idle it's lights dim very low unless you rev it, in which case they then light back up very brightly before dimming again. It also seems to sputter and almost die at idle unless I give it some gas. Then late last night when I took it out for the first time after dark, I found that when coasting to a stop at a light the headlights completely died until I reved it back to life.
:confusion:

This seems super unsafe. I checked the battery and its reading 12.2v and a full charge. Rides fine as long as your giving it throttle and gas. Only thing I notice is a whine or a click behind the display whenever I turn on the turn signals or change the lights from HI to LOW. It's audible over the stock exhaust.

Any suggestions?
post on forum

or

bring back to dealer

hmmmmmmmm

ps stock grom should idle at 1400 per service manual

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
post on forum

or

bring back to dealer

hmmmmmmmm

ps stock grom should idle at 1400 per service manual

Thanks for the fast replies guys.

My bikes idle is set at what looks like 850-900. Sounds like that's probably the issue. I'll get out there and adjust it.

As for posting on a forum or taking it to the dealer, it was 0200. Little early for a dealer. :eagerness: Had to wait till tomorrow anyways and doesn't hurt to get info that saves me a trip like this one did. I live a decent distance from the dealer in Fort Worth.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I went and adjusted the idle so that it was sitting between 1400-1500 and that seemed to fix all the issues on a short drive. No sputter, lights all stayed on, headlight only slightly flickered which I assume is normal for such a small displacement engine. Only one thing has me confused. After the bike sits for about 2-3 minutes the idle somehow resets to around 1000 and I have to screw the throttle body screw back in and then back it back out to get it to idle at 1400-1500.

When I'm adjusting the throttle body screw, am I not making a fully mechanical change? Why would it reset to 1000 after I've set it to around 1400? Some setting in the ECU maybe?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
If your battery is reading 12.2 it is pretty flat. It should read around 12.7 no load. With the bike running what is the voltage? I'd put it back to stock settings and take it back to the dealer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just wanted to update anyone who was reading this and had the same issue.

It ended up being a pretty discharged battery from the dealer (left her on a charger all night and now shes reading 12.8, was 12.2) and the sensor on the throttle being all the way in. Now after another 2-3 miles the Groms settled into a nice 1400-1500 rpm idle. Works perfectly and no flickering at all really to the lights at night. Works like a champ.

I did go and talk to the local Honda dealer service techs though and heard something pretty interesting. Aparently Honda put out a stop sell on all Groms? He said there is a known issue of some type and until the service recall comes in they cannot sell anymore. The 2 on the local show floor both say SOLD on them but they've been sitting there now for 3 days with no pick up...

Anyone else heard anything on this stop sell or what it could be about?

·
Registered
683 Posts
Just wanted to update anyone who was reading this and had the same issue.

It ended up being a pretty discharged battery from the dealer (left her on a charger all night and now shes reading 12.8, was 12.2) and the sensor on the throttle being all the way in. Now after another 2-3 miles the Groms settled into a nice 1400-1500 rpm idle. Works perfectly and no flickering at all really to the lights at night. Works like a champ.

I did go and talk to the local Honda dealer service techs though and heard something pretty interesting. Aparently Honda put out a stop sell on all Groms? He said there is a known issue of some type and until the service recall comes in they cannot sell anymore. The 2 on the local show floor both say SOLD on them but they've been sitting there now for 3 days with no pick up...

Anyone else heard anything on this stop sell or what it could be about?
Incorrect emission sticker on swing arm. Dealers waiting for replacement stickers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts