Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
-- I recently just hit 200 miles on my Grom.
-- i ride this thing everywhere!! Monday I am Off and plan to travel all day.
-- anyone else?? 200 club?

-- top speed was 65mph. wind at my back
-- first tank i hit 117.8 mpg
-- 6'2 190lbs

-- Plan on doing an oil change at 250 miles, 500 miles, and 1000.
-- any other suggestions to the oil change?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im not sure, Thats my plan. I had a ruckus and they said first service was 500 miles and i did it at 250 and 500 to get all the metal shavings out of the oil tank.

·
Registered
659 Posts
That 600 miles is if you break it in by the book. If you do a harder break-in, I would change it much sooner. That is always the recommendation for those who do a hard break-in. By 200 miles of a hard break-in the oil is dark and has shiny flakes of metal in it on other bike's I've owned and those all had oil filters. Sooner sounds better to me. Hey, an oil change costs you what $5? At least that's what 0.9 quarts of Rotella T6 costs and that's what I will change to...after 50 miles of a hard break in...then again at 600 miles (some do a second oil change at 200 miles), and by that time, I will be done with the breaking in and just go drone on the highway wide open for hours on end. At least that's my plan.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
That 600 miles is if you break it in by the book. If you do a harder break-in, I would change it much sooner. That is always the recommendation for those who do a hard break-in. By 200 miles of a hard break-in the oil is dark and has shiny flakes of metal in it on other bike's I've owned and those all had oil filters. Sooner sounds better to me. Hey, an oil change costs you what $5? At least that's what 0.9 quarts of Rotella T6 costs and that's what I will change to...after 50 miles of a hard break in...then again at 600 miles (some do a second oil change at 200 miles), and by that time, I will be done with the breaking in and just go drone on the highway wide open for hours on end. At least that's my plan.
Just curious, how many miles do you expect to get out of your Grom running it wide open on the highway all the time. How many miles would you expect to get out of oh say a GSXR600 running it wide open on the track? How many miles would you expect to get out of any engine running it wide open all the time?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I think if you look at scooters, they are run wide open most of the time. We just sold a Zuma with over 10,000 miles on it and it ran like new. So I would think they will go further then most owners will take them as far as mileage.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Small bikes do seem to like being WOT. That's how I ride all of them. I have never had my Gixxer at WOT for more than a few seconds. 145 mph is as fast as I've been on it. I do ride the Vespa WOT on the interstate when I ride there...82 mph for large stretches of road. The engine puts off a lot of heat, but doesn't overheat. Has a radiator you know. Maybe I'll be a test case then cause WOT is how I plan to ride the GRom. I expect it to do just fine unless it wobbles me into a bowl of jelly.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Does the grom have an oil filter? I haven't even bothered to ask about that yet.

Sent from my MB865 using HondaGrom.net mobile app

·
Registered
386 Posts
Anyone installing a magnetic drain plug

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have a very strong refrigerator magnet...very strong that I will stick on the bolt and check carefully at the first oil change. If I find stuff, I'll use it again.

·
Premium Member
1,753 Posts
When you change oil, use Motul 5100 10w40. If you cant afford the Motul, make sure your oil has "MA" on the back label.

If you use Motul and change it regularly, you can run that little engine at WOT, in 110 heat, with a fat chick on the back, pretty much continuously. Only stopping for gas. I have a few of these engines from the 1970s and they can take untold buckets of abuse and still keep ticking on.

The Grom is a derivative of the Honda Cub which is the best motor cycle ever built (thus beginning an inane argument)....

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
I don't have a local source for Motul but when I did that was all I used. Good stuff.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Definitely getting Motul. I plan on riding the Grom like I stole it. It's a Honda, it will last. Checkout the cub video. Most are ridden hard and obviously over-loaded and they run like champs.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I think if you look at scooters, they are run wide open most of the time. We just sold a Zuma with over 10,000 miles on it and it ran like new.
Exactly.
As I said in another post, My Suzuki Vanvan 125 Has been ridden at WoT almost everywhere.
Topping out at 10,000rpm.
It's now got 20,000miles on it and still runs great, with no loss of power or speed.

Out of interest, has anyone hit the rev limiter yet, if so what does it rev to?

As for oil change, I think the info already posted is correct.
Change early if you are breaking in hard and use good quality oil
I use Motul 5100 as well.
I'm probably going to change the oil in ours at around 300 miles, and again at about 600.
But that's because I'm a fussy bugger, not because I'm breaking particularly hard.
Although lugging my weight around may not be the easiest thing for the bike....:tongue3:

Dog

1 - 20 of 76 Posts