Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I don't know about you but the D rings on my helmet do not reach the hook under the seat of my Grom. It got old real quick carrying my helmet everywhere. So.....

I headed over to Lowe's and bought about two feet of plastic coated cable and two crimpers. They had a huge set of "pliers" for lack of a better word that they let me use to crimp the cable. Here is what I ended up with.

Cable.jpg

This is the cable folded over in my hand. You can see I have a loop at each end.

Helmet Locked.jpg

This is the cable around the chin bar of my helmet. Little more secure in that someone can not just cut the strap. Also you will notice I run the cable under that bolt/bracket and back to the hook. I do that to ensure the loop in the cable and the crimper are tucked UNDER the seat and don't get squeezed by the seat against the edge of my plastics.

Cable Stored.jpg

Finally,you can see here how I store it when I am riding. Both loops are over the helmet hook under the seat and the cable rests in that open area behind the plastics on the left side of the bike.

I'm pretty proud of myself for this one.

Just wish my Grom was black.

LOL

·
Registered
530 Posts
Sweet. But I've always looped my strap like it was on my head and put the nylon loop around the hook. Keeps it tight and no one can reach the rings to loosen it. Yours looks tight though, does your helmet hit the passenger peg?

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No. But it rests on the peg mount. Nothing touches the paint on the Grom

Sent from my DROIDX using HondaGrom.net mobile app

·
Registered
695 Posts
Nice work. Maybe you could coat it in some sort of "rubberization" material like a heat shrink or something to keep the paint on your helmet fresh :)

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice work. Maybe you could coat it in some sort of "rubberization" material like a heat shrink or something to keep the paint on your helmet fresh :)
It has a clear rubber coating already. :):)

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you Art. This will be a big help.

·
Registered
325 Posts
It has a clear rubber coating already. :):)

Think he was referring to the aluminum CRIMP

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I love this site. The members really make it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts