Honda Grom banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been running with stock engine and tyga exhaust for a year now. The bike is well broken in (around 3000mi) and I'm really struggeling to get above 8000rpm in 4th gear and can't even get to redline on 3rd some times. sure I can shift down to third gear but it seems to me that the gearing isn't optimal for me. I weigh just shy of 230lbs and ride with full gear and I often have luggage as well.

This is my only bike and I don't want to compromise reliability by installing a BBK.
The one thing I'm worried about is that I ride a lot of long distance and plan to ride even longer.

I dont mind a lower top speed, what gets me is the loss of power in hills and head wind.

Should I change my gearing?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Get the Finbro 125 head and ECU along with a decent cam (I run the DCR). 13T front and a 34 rear. You'll thank me later.
This is interesting. It looks like this might be a little hard on the engine on long distance rides. This setup sounds like it's purely for achieving high RPMs. I too would like to know about the "gains".

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Yes, get the 14t. I'm 6'3" and 235lbs. The 14t will improve acceleration and your top speed wont really change since you can get further into the rpm's.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Ok so my grom is pretty much a track bike i use for training. I also street it and go on the occasional cruise. I have like 800 track miles on the bike and like 400 street miles so far. Heck i was still breaking in the motor with all this crap on lol. The Finbro 125 head has oversized valves and along with a good cam and ECU can be a really good combination. You'll need the PCX150 injector also. The extra revs allows you to really be able to have fun with gearing. I run a 14/34 on the street and a 13/36 on the track. flip your stock TB and stick a K&N filter on the end. Or if you want get the koso 34mm TB and bigger fuel line (yes it works). These motors have some decent grunt between 8-11,000 RPM. The ECU lets you go all the way to 12,500 but shift around 11 and it keeps you in the power band. As far as i can tell its pretty reliable I'm really hard on my bike and i just make sure to do oil changes every 200 miles. Other than that the bike is good to go.

Here is a link to finbro USA

http://finbrogarage.com

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just to add to the info....
I'm 165lbs. 5'10"
Corbin seat... bars rotated forward slightly for a slightly forward body lean.
Dive 130 miles one way with no comfort problems.

My secret is perspective.....drive a pre-80s motorcycle for a long distance and a Grom seems kinda comfortable......compared to some.

·
Registered
8,407 Posts
Best bang for the $$$$, remove the oil spinner and replace with Kitaco clutch side cover $249 investment.

Take stock inlet tube and bore/port/polish it out to 27mm and do the same for the plastic spacer and while you are add it port out the intake port on the head to match the 27mm intake pipe.

leave the F/I stock but upgrade the airbox with a mod and also a better air filter.

Get a full flow exhaust system.

Clean and lube your chain and adjust it. Clean and grease your stock wheel bearings

Proper air in front and rear tire 29-31psi cold.

good luck

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just to add to the info....
I'm 165lbs. 5'10"
Corbin seat... bars rotated forward slightly for a slightly forward body lean.
Dive 130 miles one way with no comfort problems.

My secret is perspective.....drive a pre-80s motorcycle for a long distance and a Grom seems kinda comfortable......compared to some.
Leaning forward sertainly helps but I think you might be in the wrong thread :smile:

·
Registered
199 Posts
A kitaco type 2 cam, a proper intake (not just a airbox mod), a better fuel control system (preferably something that allows you to run a A/F around 13 reliably and monitor it, I'm running pcv/wb2) with a aftermarket exhaust will allow you to run a 14t to redline in a headwind. Didn't work for me while I still persisted with the stock modified airbox though, swapping that out is what finally let her pull after 8000rpm.

Power comes on hard about 5000rpm and pulls through to 9500rpm.

The factory cam is more like 4500-7000rpm, then the power drops off.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm attempting to overcome the same problem. I'm a little lighter, but likely at a higher altitude. I've recently put on the 14T, and it certainly makes the bike more fun, but I was still stuck at 55 mph. I also agree with everyone else about the side cover. While I didn't find the power gain overwhelming, you get a real filter and site glass which will help with longevity. I certainly wasn't checking oil lever with the dipstick before every ride, but with the glass it's super easy to keep an eye on things.

Thread of my progress: http://www.hondagrom.net/forums/13-grom-performance/19649-getting-past-7k-rpms-stock-cc-motor.html

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I am the heaviest rider and you want to do a 14t front along with the internal short 4th from yuminashi then get a cam like the koso and then some head work and you can even run the stock ecu

1 - 16 of 16 Posts