Honda Grom banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Hoping you can give me some advice regarding my oil temps. I have the below list installed on my 2017 Grom and I'm worried about the oil temps that I am seeing. I'm wondering if I need an oil cooler? I have the Takegawa Clutch Cover in the garage not installed yet, so the option for a cooler is there.

• LEOVINCE LV-10 Black Full Exhaust System
  • Takegawa 143cc Hyper e-Stage Combo Kit - LINK TO KIT
  • Takegawa FI CON 2 Fuel Controller (it came with the kit)
  • Takegawa Super Oil Pump Kit MSX
  • Upgraded Clutch Springs (I upgraded 3 of the 6)
  • Opmid Temp/Voltage Gauge
  • Airbox and intake are completely stock
When I first took the bike out with the kit on and using the recommended fuel controller settings, the temps were too high for my liking, always in the 112C+ (233F+) range, often higher and that was driving the bike very easy. So I turned the FI CON 2 up to the max amount of fuel it will allow and since I did that, when driving easy(ish) doing 50-55mph, the oil temps hover around 105C (221F) to 112C (233F) and when I open the throttle up a bit the temperature rises slightly more.

This doesn't sound too bad, does it? Well, it's all good until I come to a junction or traffic lights. When I come to a stop the temperature shoots up to anywhere from 116C (240F) to 120C+ (250F+). And this is where the problem lies, once the temp gets that high it struggles to come back down. I did a 25 mile run yesterday and temps were OK until I came to a junction onto a main road. Temps got up to 118C (244F) while waiting to pull out, once I did, they SLOWLY dropped to 114C (237F) and I decided for the next few miles, over twisty roads some with slight hills, to drive even slower to try and get them down below 110C (230F) - But the opposite happened! They gradually got higher and higher and at one point, while only doing 35-40mph, I seen the temp gauge hitting 122C (251F). I was like WTF is going on here! I came to a hill and clutched it the whole way down which cooled the temps to about 112C (233F) and they stayed around that until I got home, as I slowed down to pull into my housing development and up my driveway, the temps went to 120C (250F) again.

My worry is if I go for a long run with my mates, and we normally drive hard, what way will my temps be? Since putting the kit on I haven't hit the limiter or the red line, but that will be happening once we start going out on long runs! So it's only gonna be hotter...

I live in Northern Ireland where a boiling hot summers day would only be 25C (77F). When I was out yesterday getting the temps explained above, it was only 12C (53F) outside.

Here is my spark plug after yesterday's run. I don't think it looks bad at all. What do you all think?

Would love you hear your thoughts and suggestions on this folks.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
143cc kit doesnt produce that much heat where you have to worry about it. Once you get into the larger kits (180cc and up) then a oil cooler is a must.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
143cc kit doesnt produce that much heat where you have to worry about it. Once you get into the larger kits (180cc and up) then a oil cooler is a must.
Thanks Chris. So do you think the temps I am getting are normal? They just seem a little high to me.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
To me the temps your getting are fine. Ive tortured these motors and your still safe.

·
Registered
27 Posts
According to web search, "A quality conventional motor oil will tolerate oil sump temperatures of up to 250 degrees, but starts breaking down over 275 degrees"

·
Registered
517 Posts
Normal. I have the 143 and am seeing similar temps. I have an ebay China oil cooler that helps a little but not much.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Honda Monkey and others
528 Posts
That plug is looking pretty clean to me(too lean).

If you are not running an oil cooler you do not need the heavy duty pump. It is just stressing the pump and causing power loss.

Are you having any oil come out of the crankcase vent line?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. You've put my mind at ease a little more. I think I'll just drive her easy for while and keep an eye on the temps.
Thanks again

·
Registered
225 Posts
What program is you fi con set to, before you play with the trims?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What program is you fi con set to, before you play with the trims?
I set it to what was recommended Gavin, Map 9 Fuel A.

But i found the temps were still too high at that. So I boosted the fuel trim up to F. Even at that they were creeping up too high.

Last week i decided to try a 181 kit map, fuel trim 5 and the difference in temps is crazy. The bike seems to run faster and when i come to a stop it struggles to get above 105C temps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts