Honda Grom banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Generally speaking, I want to buy from the company that makes parts that work. I glaze over at dyno claims unless you've got a third-party running comparisons on the same dyno and same day. There is a big difference between being proud of your product and being excessively prideful.

50-50 - have you had any direct experience with GFZ's products or porting work? I just want to establish whether or not you have issue with the quality of his work. As far as his attitude, well... opinions are like assholes - until someone directly wrongs me, if the product is good, I'll give someone leeway on a little pride.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Generally speaking, I want to buy from the company that makes parts that work. I glaze over at dyno claims unless you've got a third-party running comparisons on the same dyno and same day. There is a big difference between being proud of your product and being excessively prideful.

50-50 - have you had any direct experience with GFZ's products or porting work? I just want to establish whether or not you have issue with the quality of his work. As far as his attitude, well... opinions are like assholes - until someone directly wrongs me, if the product is good, I'll give someone leeway on a little pride.
Hell no. I refuse to buy his products. Like I said, I asked him a question before buying his products and I got attitude so he can go fuck himself.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Generally speaking, I want to buy from the company that makes parts that work. As far as his attitude, well... opinions are like assholes - until someone directly wrongs me, if the product is good, I'll give someone leeway on a little pride.
100% on this,,, So far no negative dealings with Kenny/GFz... He has allways answered my PMs on here and FB.
I will agree He Is Not the educating type, but take that with a grain of salt, Most of his grom parts are self explanatory... Actually most grom parts are IMO.

Hell no. I refuse to buy his products. Like I said, I asked him a question before buying his products and I got attitude so he can go fuck himself.
LOL,,, this is the result of Kennys short comings on Customer Service from what Im allways reading anyways.... Bottom line No One Is Forcing Anyone to Buy From a Specific Vendor, if someone doesnt care for them then dont spend money with them,,, And if you did and are not Happy with whatever, then to me you have Valid Complaint to Blast....

Opinion on my Experience with Cameron Jones.... Not that great! but instead of going out of my way to Complain about him,,, I took my Bussiness to Hard Racing a week later.

·
Registered
793 Posts
LOL,,, this is the result of Kennys short comings on Customer Service from what Im allways reading anyways.... Bottom line No One Is Forcing Anyone to Buy From a Specific Vendor, if someone doesnt care for them then dont spend money with them,,, And if you did and are not Happy with whatever, then to me you have Valid Complaint to Blast....

Opinion on my Experience with Cameron Jones.... Not that great! but instead of going out of my way to Complain about him,,, I took my Bussiness to Hard Racing a week later.
Yeah poor customer service is a warning of a poor company to me. Obviously everybody has their own opinion and their own free will to handle things they way they choose. I decide to warn people of my dealings or things I see. But what I'm saying isn't hard to find. It's all over Facebook.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yeah poor customer service is a warning of a poor company to me. Obviously everybody has their own opinion and their own free will to handle things they way they choose. I decide to warn people of my dealings or things I see. But what I'm saying isn't hard to find. It's all over Facebook.
Good engineers are rarely great at customer service... or hell... spelling and punctuation. Look at it this way - GFZ could hire a customer service rep. full time and jack the prices up but he choose to deal with customers directly. You can take it or leave it, but to infer someone has poor products due to poor customer service is just naive and ad hominem.

I'm not shilling for any of these companies, but I am having Kenny port my NEO head and match it to a Yumi EVO26 manifold so I can run a Keihin throttle. If the head comes back filled with Aluminum shavings or otherwise messed up, I'll give him a chance to make it right and post if he doesn't.

Anyhow, back to our regularly scheduled programming...

·
Registered
793 Posts
Good engineers are rarely great at customer service... or hell... spelling and punctuation. Look at it this way - GFZ could hire a customer service rep. full time and jack the prices up but he choose to deal with customers directly. You can take it or leave it, but to infer someone has poor products due to poor customer service is just naive and ad hominem.

I'm not shilling for any of these companies, but I am having Kenny port my NEO head and match it to a Yumi EVO26 manifold so I can run a Keihin throttle. If the head comes back filled with Aluminum shavings or otherwise messed up, I'll give him a chance to make it right and post if he doesn't.

Anyhow, back to our regularly scheduled programming...
As a degreed engineer, I disagree with your generalized statement.

Also, I never bashed his products nor did I infer they were bad. Everything I said was against the man and his treatment of his customers and potential customers.

·
Registered
234 Posts
As a degreed engineer, I disagree with your generalized statement.
I am as well - we can agree to disagree.

Telling someone to avoid a company when you haven't used their products just needed a little clarifying discussion, I suppose.

This isn't the first thread where you've lashed out at vendors when you've been upset at them for not spoon-feeding you more than a workable product.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I am as well - we can agree to disagree.

Telling someone to avoid a company when you haven't used their products just needed a little clarifying discussion, I suppose.

This isn't the first thread where you've lashed out at vendors when you've been upset at them for not spoon-feeding you more than a workable product.
I never claimed to use their products. I clearly stated why I feel the way I do about GF. It's not my fault you have poor reading comprehension.

You keep putting words in my mouth. I never asked to be spoon fed.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Some of his products and services aren't really available anywhere else so I will probably continue to buy from him. It would be nice if he was a little more considerate towards muh fee fees but it's just business, nothing personal.

·
Registered
683 Posts
7 days a week all day. 100s of messages a week..... 54 full 210 engines done in 14 months 4 more on the bench now. then there are the internet sales along with making new product... im trying... grom fatherz isnt for everyone but respect is givin when its received.. smart ass comments are met with facts. who proves more? whos doing more? if you want grom performance contact me ill be glad to tryin help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
OP here. Thanks for all the replies.

Magnetic drain plug from the seized engine:

Piston:

I haven't had the chance to split the case yet. The engine seized because the lower half of the con rod jammed against the case. Best guess right now is crank bearing failure.

I bought an 800 mile Grom motor off of eBay that I'm putting into the Grom now. I'm shifting over my previously installed upgraded clutch and the Chimera intake that the bike originally came with. I have the Kitaco clutch cover, and oil pump, and three row oil cooler on order. Once the bike is running again I'll look into porting the head, a cam, and, maybe, an upgraded tuner. I didn't know the PCV (which the bike came with) has been superseded.

When I get back to it I'll split the cases and see if the original engine is rebuildable. If it is it might become a monster BBK build some day, otherwise it will become a spare parts locker.

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
OP here. Thanks for all the replies.

Magnetic drain plug from the seized engine:

Piston:

I haven't had the chance to split the case yet. The engine seized because the lower half of the con rod jammed against the case. Best guess right now is crank bearing failure.

I bought an 800 mile Grom motor off of eBay that I'm putting into the Grom now. I'm shifting over my previously installed upgraded clutch and the Chimera intake that the bike originally came with. I have the Kitaco clutch cover, and oil pump, and three row oil cooler on order. Once the bike is running again I'll look into porting the head, a cam, and, maybe, an upgraded tuner. I didn't know the PCV (which the bike came with) has been superseded.

When I get back to it I'll split the cases and see if the original engine is rebuildable. If it is it might become a monster BBK build some day, otherwise it will become a spare parts locker.
Looking at the pic your failure is the stock connecting rod took a shit and broke due to high heat, get the Kitaco HD crank/rod upgrade if you are going to use a bigger BBK kit such as 160cc or larger, if you are using a smaller cc engine such as stock 125cc you are stuck with the OEM connecting rod which is a weak point on a engine running high RPM over 8-10K for long periods of time.

Reduce heat in the crank case by updating the stock CCV circuit with a full flow oil catch can system such as Takegawa makes, it will reduce crank case pressure and heat. Heat kills engines and crank case pressure will increase wear in the piston ring.

If you are going to re-use your damage crank case make sure to pull out your crank bearings and transmission bearings and check for wear since metal filings can get between the racers and bearings.

Good Luck

·
Registered
234 Posts
Reduce heat in the crank case by updating the stock CCV circuit with a full flow oil catch can system such as Takegawa makes, it will reduce crank case pressure and heat. Heat kills engines and crank case pressure will increase wear in the piston ring.
I'll note that you really don't need a kit - you just need to add more holes to the crankcase. Common methods are oil filler with a vent barb or the upper rocker arm cover. If you run long enough (vertical) hoses, a separator/catch tank isn't really needed but it's a nice point to tie all the venting together. Just make sure the actual vent line leaving the can is larger than the single hoses or you'll just create another choke in mass flow.

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
Strongest highest reving grom engines run this.. nothing else works as good... nothing else is needed. Every other option isnt as good period. Proof has been proved
quite a few BBK kit builders are running that cam cover on their 170-4v Koso engine out here in San Jose Calif.

Me I like to see my cam chain so I have a see-thru cam cover and I have a full flow Takegawa oil catch can that has the bottom spout of the can going to the grom oil filler hole, one of the front spout going to the intake valve cover while the other front hole goes to the OEM crank case vent hole and on the rear spout of the can one of the holes is plugged while the other spout goes to a small filter for venting the can.

Even Kenny "GFZ" uses a Takegawa oil catch can with his cam cover unit. The long silver can below the gas tank is a Takegawa oil catch can and the bottom spout hole goes to his cam cover.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
A more expensive version of this...

IMG_3023.JPG oil cooler_3.JPG

21 - 40 of 50 Posts