Honda Grom banner

The Black Street Rager Grom Play by Play

13K views 34 replies 16 participants last post by  AaronColton 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys,

While doing the build on my FZ09 I was asked to post up my Grom build. I will back date it a bit but I still have a long way to go on this beast! I just picked up a Grom for my girlfriend to ride around with me and I am pretty pumped about it. So pumped I ended up buying one the next day. I have always been a fan of building minis and want to have a lot of fun with this one. I am not going for the fastest or the flashiest Grom but I want to build a nice, clean, performance Grom to get around LA.

It should come together over the next few weeks here and I will be updating as most the parts go on. I have most of the parts for the build already except for some things that I need to pick up from the guys at Steady Garage this week!

Here is a little overview of the build!

Controls - Motion Pro Revolver Throttle, Billet Switch Controls, RSC Billet Shortie clutch

Clamps/Bars - Vortex V3 MX Bend bars, GPR V4 Steering Stabilizer, GPR 1 1/8 Oversized Bar Mounts

Front Brakes - Brembo Monoblock billet caliper, G-Craft caliper bracket, Magura 195 Radial 13mm, Magura Remote resi, EBC V Rotor, EBC Pads, HEL Brake Lines

Rear Brake - Full throttle Inc Master Adapter, HEL Brake Line, Brembo 34m Caliper, EBC V Rotor, EBC Pads

Hand Brake - Magura 195 Radial 13mm, HEL Line,Full throttle inc Adapter, Brembo 34m Caliper, EBC Pads

Suspension - MNNTHBX Forks and Tripple clamps, MNNTHBX Shock

Drive - Vortex Rear Sprocket, JT Front, DID ER420 Gold Chain, Ti Sprocket Bolts

Tires Wheels - Bridgestone Bt-601ss Tires, Ariete Aluminum Valve Stems, Takegawa Aluminum spaces,Takegawa Hollow Axles

Body - TDM Halo Headlight, MNNTHBX Under tail, TYGA Carbon Sprocket cover, TYGA Carbon Side Cover, Takegawa Carbon Tank cover, Saddlemen Seat, MNNTHBX Faux Frame, ESD Axle Slider, ESD Footpegs

Engine - Chimera Intake, K&N Filter, Akropovic GP Full System, Bazzaz Fi Controller, Bazzaz Quick shifter, Zeta Magnet drain plug, MNNTHBX Cam Covers

At 93 miles I figured it was time to start tinkering a little bit.

Clean stock and Fresh at 93 miles

Re mounted the horn and removed all the stickers

A few of the parts shaping up for the build

See less See more
#12 ·
I ran down to Steady Garage and picked up some more of the parts this afternoon. I was pretty pumped on their shop and even ended up picking up a few more parts after I got there. I didn't get to do as much work as I liked today but I was able to do a few things.

Mounted Battery tender - I am going to route this up to the headlight bucket tomorrow and make a bracket from the triple clamp to attach the USB converter to charge a phone/gps when it is mounted in the RokForm case on the bars.

Installed the Chimera Intake - I was super impressed with this piece. I installed the whole kit except for the Fairing rod tonight. I will get the scale out tomorrow to weight the stock airbox but I would assume that I shaved off 4 pounds as well as the clean intake track. I will be riding it tomorrow and on the Dyno Monday but as far as response and sound it defiantly is taking in a lot more air.

Billet Clutch Perch - On my 450 this made a pretty big difference in flex. On this it just turned out to be eye candy.

Charcoal Canister - When I had the tank off I tracked down the emissions system. Removed all parts and mounts and it now much cleaner.

#13 · (Edited)
Another pretty good day in the shop. I had a lot going on today so I could only spend the evening working on the bike but still got a bit done tonight.

Boomerangs and key covers - Sanded and primed the Boomerangs and key covers while the sun was still out to let dry overnight. I will wet sand them a bit in the morning and put a few coats of Matte black down on them.

Intake Track - When I installed the Chimera intake yesterday I noticed that the stock intake manifold itself was not the quality of Japan. I blueprinted (With only the finest sharpie in the world) out the intake track and will match the track up with the porting tool tomorrow. I would love to get the head on the porting bench but I don't have any gaskets right now so I will save that for a few days down the road. (On a side the note the Chimera intake made a VERY sizable difference in power and throttle response right out of the box)

Rearsets - Neither my girlfriend or I have spent enough time on the grom to really know what direction we would like to go with them yet. Normally I would go straight for the Vortex option but they are not yet available. I decided to replace the pegs with a nice set of ESD pegs and powder coat the rear sets matte black for the time being.

Carbon Covers - I didn't want to go overkill with the Carbon as most parts are not much of a difference in weight to drop but a few pieces caught my eye. I Picked up the Takagawa tank cover as well as the TYGA sprocket and side cover from Steady Garage.

Horn Mount - Pretty simple mod. I removed the two mounting brackets and reused the ground mounts after I bent them at a 90. They ended up aligned perfectly with the bolt holes when I spaced the two plates 2mm down from each other before I bent them at a 90 in the vice. I also had to grind off about 2mm to clear the locator on the triple clamp so that it mounted proper.

Filter - Not much to say here. I saw a red door and I wanted to paint it black.

Dual Caliper Bracket - I am waiting until the 450 master arrives before I mount the HEL line but I was curious of the stoping power of the caliper so I tossed it on to go up and down the street. Needles to say after I gave it a rip I literally threw the stock caliper in the trash. The stock caliper was about as useful and Fred Flintstones heels in a hockey rink. The handbrake will go on tomorrow or Monday.

Tunes - I woke up this morning and wanted to run to the coffee shop with my lady and the fit on my bluetooth speaker was to good to be true. It took a relaxing Saturday morning coffee a few notches up. I am not sure how it will fit when I mount the GPR clamps and ProTaper bars but for now it jams.

#17 ·
I got to spend some good time on the build today. I will be out and about the next few days so I wanted to put a good dent in the work. It is Sunday funday right?

Porting the Intake - Still bumming that I do not have the gaskets yet to port the head but I was able to match up the manifold with the head and throttle body dead on. I also ended up painting the manifold with some hi temp enamel.

Painting the starter - I wanted to order the MNNTHB Faux Frame cover to cover some of the less pretty pieces but it was on backorder so when I was digging in I decided to pull the starter sand it up and toss some low gloss engine enamel on it.

Seat fix - I was already over the whole shimmy shakedown do get the seat on and off so I removed the handle strap and spaced the seat hooks about 4mm with some stainless washers. It still is a bit of a job but it comes on and off WAY easier now.

TDM Headlight and flush blinkers - After painting the boomerangs yesterday I was pumped to throw the headlight and smoked flush blinkers on today. This was one sexy facelift.

Skinny girl diet - Not just the air box was a fat chunk of weight there are so many redundant mounts all over the bike. These are not all of the parts but I shaved off just over 11 pounds today.

Dime Stoppers - Here is a sneak peak of what the front brake is going to look like. I have the HEL line and am just waiting on my G-Craft caliper bracket.

Still some good work ahead but here is side shot so far.

AC

#22 ·
I will get some more pics of the Dyno runs in a week or so but I forgot to post this originally. Here are the dyno charts from the bone stock grom and then after with a Bazzaz tuner and tune. These are from the actual Bazzaz in house Principia Dyno

I am excited to see the power difference with the Chimera Intake on the dyno. We can feel it at the throttle and it will only get better with a tune. The exhaust is still not here so hopefully it gets here before I go back to Bazzaz.

Stock in Blue and Bazzaz+Tune in Red

Also the G craft brackets came in today for the Brembo front caliper.

#23 ·
Pretty pumped about picking up the suspenders from RaceTech today. The bike is finally starting to come together!

Forks and shock - I went with the RaceTech RG3 shock comp/reb and Gold valve fork kit with .76 springs. It feels so good on to rip now. Not many wallows to be had thumping around the city. Along with many other parts once the build is done I will be stripping the bike down and taking the outer fork tubes and shock body to be hard anodized black.

Master and line swap - Swapped the stock master and line for a Magura 13mm Radial mater and HEL brake line. I had the brake line made one inch shorter than stock and the upper bend only 15 degrees to have better fitment on the radial. One piece short of mounting the Brembo caliper on in the next few days.

#27 ·
I have let the Grom sit way to long now but over the past week I have been up at NDC in Redding CA working on setting up my new freestyle biked for this year. I ended up having some time on the side to work on the Grom and I brought a heap of uninstalled parts along with me. Here is a peak of how the bike is going so far. Still lots to go but I am loving how it is turning out.

I Picked up the TDM headlight and Smoked LED blinkers from the guys Steady Garage to clean up the front end a little bit.

The new tires are so clutch. Bridgestone BT601ss front and rear tires with solid mount valve stems and a +2 Vortex rear sprocket.

The stock brakes on this thing where about as useful as a spork in a knife fight. I made sure to overcompensate for the problem. GCraft Japan Caliper bracket to mount the Brembo Billet 4 piston caliper tied up to a custom HEL Brake line.

ESD Peg sliders to protect the goods that I would cry over if....

My OCD kicked in and I had to match up the rear. G Craft caliper bracket and Brembo P34 cast caliper for mockup. Matching billet caliper and fitted HEL line will be here soon.

ESD Rider and Passenger pegs along with a little carbon and engine murder action.

Murder on the left...Murder on the right.

The Bazzaz Tuner mounted up under the frame perfectly! I am trying to decide what to do about the rear sets because I would really like to be able to enable the quickshifter. I love being able to ride two up with the stock rear sets but with the new tires the pegs and shifter are dragging EVERYWHERE.

I rolled a 220 stoppie the other day at the top of 4th and was looking for a little more confidence. The GPR Stabilizer and Vortex MX bend bars did the trick. Its time to gear up and go for 300 this next week.

Are you kidding me!? This MNNTHBX under tail kit is incredibly nice. So easy to install and wire up.

Magura 195 Radial 13mm with remote resi and HEL line tucked up int the throttle assembly

RSC shorty clutch lever and full diamond grips. Still trying to source a smaller switch to replace this one.

And here is the progress so far. Still a lot more to go but I finally getting the ball back rolling on this hog!

A little post mod lunchtime test ride.

<div id="fb-root"></div> <script>(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs); }(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script>
<div class="fb-post" data-href="https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=893306677367192" data-width="466"><div class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore"><a href="https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=893306677367192">Post</a> by <a href="https://www.facebook.com/ac93">Aaron Colton</a>.</div></div>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.