2017 New Grom
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

2017 New Grom

This is a discussion on 2017 New Grom within the Introductions forums, part of the Honda Grom News category; Bought a 2017 new Grom from the dealer in SJ, CA. I have had it 5 weeks and 500 miles. I really like it. Since ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By VC2017

Thread: 2017 New Grom

This user has no status.

Member #

2017 New Grom

Bought a 2017 new Grom from the dealer in SJ, CA. I have had it 5 weeks and 500 miles. I really like it. Since I am on a budget I appreciate the MPG factor too. Only problem I have had so far was adjusting chain. I didn't have a stand and could not get it right after four tries. Took it to the dealer and they did it for 40 bucks. I am thinking about OTB adjusters and getting a stand. As of right now I am a little gun shy to attempt it again. Thanks.
    Cheburashka likes this.

is pew pew pew

Member #
    Welcome!

How did you manage to find a new 2017... That's awesome.

Lots of Groms in the South Bay.

The chains on these bikes that come stock are pretty stretchy. Honestly I'd invest in a better o-ring chain so that you don't have to adjust it all the time.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.

Member #
    I think someone bought it and a Talon or something then brought both back with no miles on them. So the dealer gave me a choice of a new 2019 with a warranty for about 1000 dollars more or the one I bought with no warranty. I bought the 2017 with no warranty or ABS.
    I will buy a chain, but I am also leaning to buying those adjusters as well with spools for a rack, and a torque wrench. You may be right though, it might be more economical to buy the chain first, since adjuster, rack and torque wrench are more combined than a new chain even if I had someone install it.
    Last edited by VC2017; 08-19-2019 at 06:53 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    This user has no status.

Member #
    I've got just under 1,100 miles on my 2019 and haven't needed to adjust the chain. It's still quiet, smooth, and within specification. I ride "gently and never in dirt or rain. Every 300 miles, I reach over the bike and pick up the rear so I can spin the wheel and coat the chain with Maxima chain wax.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by VC2017 View Post
    Bought a 2017 new Grom from the dealer in SJ, CA. I have had it 5 weeks and 500 miles. I really like it. Since I am on a budget I appreciate the MPG factor too. Only problem I have had so far was adjusting chain. I didn't have a stand and could not get it right after four tries. Took it to the dealer and they did it for 40 bucks. I am thinking about OTB adjusters and getting a stand. As of right now I am a little gun shy to attempt it again. Thanks.
    stock adjusters work perfectly. . just make sure to adjust eachside equally using the guide lines on adjuster. with normal wear n tear your chain adjustment should only need a half of turn to 1 full turn on adjustment nuts. also i pull on chain tightly taking all slack out while impacting axle nut back on keeping it from going out of wack. lube your chain regularly (every few hundred mi). clean and lube(evry thousand mi).

an o-ring chain is going to be the better choice for overall performance/ maintenance. stock chain is strechy and can feel every kink and loose spots.

is zipzip

Member #
    Odometer
    Welcome bud
    ★ Signature: License Plate Flipper

Sponsored Links